Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-17-2016, 03:00 AM

Default sticky faders in PT 12.4

Anyone else having this issue where you go to move your faders around and they sort of stick and feel glitchy and/or sluggish to react to your moves? This is pretty frustrating, especially when you're really trying to do finer fader moves... but the fader on the GUI in PT mixer doesn't react right away and you have to move it quite a bit for it to actually start to move on screen? I didn't notice this in my last version of 11.3.1 on same setup/OS.

Anyone experiencing this?

I don't think this is quite the same issue it seems some have been having with PT 12 in El Capitan on Macs and having a glitchy playback/playbar (graphics only), but perhaps it's related? I'm not sure. For me this has mostly just been a faders-only issue in the mixer window so far.

I'm on OSX 10.9.5, FYI.
Pro Tools HD 2018.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 01-17-2016, 06:05 AM

Default Re: sticky faders in PT 12.4

I've personally seen this. I have submitted crash logs and various reports to Avid. Not much more i can do.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:40 AM

I've personally seen this. I have submitted crash logs and various reports to Avid. Been a while though and haven't heard back.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:55 AM

Move faders on what? The screen, or on a controller? If on the screen, I would go to the EDIT window, show VOLUME and just draw in the move I want with the mouse. Having said that, it would seem to me that it might be a graphics or graphics driver issue. As I am a PC guy, can you update the driver?

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-17-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Move faders on what? The screen, or on a controller? If on the screen, I would go to the EDIT window, show VOLUME and just draw in the move I want with the mouse. Having said that, it would seem to me that it might be a graphics or graphics driver issue. As I am a PC guy, can you update the driver?
Moving the faders on the screen. With a mouse.

I know i could use the edit window to manual make volume automation moves.. but really?I want to be able to move the faders around to adjust and audition levels in real time (automation preview anyone?)... you know like they're supposed to do.

Im looking up how to check for driver updates on a new mac pro (trashcan) graphics card (AMD FirePro D300) but that's proving to be not easy so far....

In fact it seems the new mac pros have had a bad track record with graphics card issues since their release. But in PT HD 11.3.1 I was smoothing sailing on same machine with same OS running.
Pro Tools HD 2018.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 01-18-2016, 06:19 PM

Thought I'd follow up by reporting a few other basic observations. Repaired disk permission on main host drive, trashed PT preferences.

Problem still persists.

What's interesting is when I close the PT session and re-open it (without quitting PT, mind you) the problem goes away... for a little while... but it seems that the longer the session is open and I'm working in it, the more the faders on screen become jerky/sticky/glitchy when I go to move them with the mouse.

Playback bar and playback in general seem to be fine otherwise.

I've looked into trying to update the driver for my graphics card, but Apple and/or AMD make it very hidden as to whether you can even do this on my particular setup... perhaps such is the way many things that are Apple-hardware related. They keep things in a controlled closed environment, for better for for worse.
Pro Tools HD 2018.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 01-18-2016, 09:49 PM

I had this issue when I just updated to 12.2 PT. After upgrading to 12.4 the issue is gone. Both PT versions were used with OS 10.10.5.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
I had this issue when I just updated to 12.2 PT. After upgrading to 12.4 the issue is gone. Both PT versions were used with OS 10.10.5.
good to know, thanks for the heads up! I'm a little leary to update to a new OS just for smoother faders, but MAN, it's really annoying me. They're so glitchy.

Seems a little ridiculous...
Pro Tools HD 2018.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 02-21-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
Problem still persists.

What's interesting is when I close the PT session and re-open it (without quitting PT, mind you) the problem goes away... for a little while... but it seems that the longer the session is open and I'm working in it, the more the faders on screen become jerky/sticky/glitchy when I go to move them with the mouse.

Playback bar and playback in general seem to be fine otherwise.
getting the exact same issue and behavior. completely different system. 2009 mac pro 12 core, GT120 graphics card. I wasn't getting the problem till i upgraded my monitor to a higher resolution model. fingers crossed avid can fix this. very annoying.

also, i've noticed the faders continue to be smooth and responsive on screen if i use my artist mix to make changes rather than the mouse.

Last edited by mr xy; 02-21-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr xy View Post
getting the exact same issue and behavior. completely different system. 2009 mac pro 12 core, GT120 graphics card. I wasn't getting the problem till i upgraded my monitor to a higher resolution model. fingers crossed avid can fix this. very annoying.

also, i've noticed the faders continue to be smooth and responsive on screen if i use my artist mix to make changes rather than the mouse.
Apparently Avid are now admitting they are aware of the problem and consider it to be related to a bug on their end. I don't think it's relegated to any one version of Mac OSX, PT, or any particular modern Mac model/setup. Sounds like they are working on it but I wasn't given any timeline or estimate as to when a release will come out with a fix for this when I conversed about it with their support team.
Pro Tools HD 2018.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog