How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 PM

Default Hooking Strike up to a Behringer FCB 1010 As A Footcontroller

HI:

I'm a complete midi idiot, wishing he was a midi idiot savant ;-)

For years I've been using a Roland 1680 to record. For drum tracks / demos I've used the drum styles in My Roland VA76 V-Arranger Keyboard. I record live along with the drum track. The Keyboard has a foot controller so I can swith beteen intro verse 1, Fill 1, alternate 1, Fill 2 extro.

I want to duplicate this using Pro Tool, Strike and a Behringer FCB 1010 foot controller so I can switch drum patterns / fills etc in Strike, while recording live

Here's my set-up

Mac 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghx
4gig ram
Express card to run Project IO Mix
Pro Tools 8.03
Behringer FCB 1010
Livid OHM 64 controller for Ableton Suite (link below)
http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_ohm64.php
Mackie HR824mk2 Monitors

I'm presuming I can hook the midi into the Pro Tools through the midi in / out of the Livid OHM 64 controller

However, I have no idea whatsoever how to:

1) Get the Behringer FCB 1010 to control Strike

2) How to set up Strike / Pro Tools once that is accomplished so I can record live (Vocal Guitar Strike simultaneously) using the Behringer FCB 1010 to control Strike and monitor this either on headphones or monitors

Any suggestions, links, videos etc to accomplish the above would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Danny
Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Hooking Strike up to a Behringer FCB 1010 As A Footcontroller

Behringer support has a question that may help us figure this out...Does anyone have the answer?

Danny

=============
Hi Danny and thank you for writing to BEHRINGER technical support!

The FCB1010 can send midi notes & midi cc numbers. Please find out if Strike needs to be controlled with midi notes or cc numbers. I will also try to check on this end, as I am not familiar with Strike.

The weekend is upon us, we will be back:

M-F, 730 am to 530 pm, PST

You can also call us here for live tech support:

425-672-0816

Best regards,
Glenn S.
Your BEHRINGER Customer Support Team
Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM

Answers from Behringer on using Strike and the FCB 1010 Footcontroller

Behringer has provided a procedure that is used to send Midi Notes, that they use for their Amplfiers. They are suggesting it be applied to the situation...I'll update once completed...

I have pasted the text from the word doc they sent me below...

Danny

=============

BEHRINGER FCB1010 Application Guide Twenty
Sending a MIDI Note message to a BASS V-AMP or BASS V-AMP PRO

In this example we’ll set the FCB1010 to DIRECT SELECT disabled mode, and program the FCB1010 to send a MIDI note message to the BASS V-AMP or BASS V-AMP PRO. In a nutshell, two FCB1010 presets will be created. The first one (Bank ‘9’, Preset ‘10’) will contain instructions to ‘prepare’ the BASS V-AMP to receive MIDI note messages and some other control information (Control Change #39 with a value of 14 for MIDI Synth, Control Change #40 with a value of 63 for 50% Synth Mix, Control Change #41 for Exp. Pedal A – variation in Synth Sound, and Control Change #4 for Exp. Pedal B – Reverb).

You would start by connecting from the MIDI OUT/THRU jack on the FCB1010 to the MIDI IN jack on the BASS V-AMP, and then connect from the LINE outputs on the BASS V-AMP to a mixer or some other device so you can hear the MIDI note message when it comes through.

Setting the FCB1010 to work in DIRECT SELECT disabled mode:
(This also covers selection of the MIDI transmit channel)

1. Reset all presets on the FCB1010 by holding footswitches 1 and 6 while powering up. The display will show numbers that cycle from ‘.0.9’ to ‘00’.

2. Press and hold the DOWN switch during a second power-up to enter the GLOBAL SETUP mode. The green DIRECT SELECT LED will be lit up. If footswitch 10 is lit up, press it to turn it off, and the FCB1010 will be set for use in DIRECT SELECT disabled mode.

3. Press the UP switch to go to the next level, and the green MIDI FUNCTION LED in the GLOBAL CONFIGURATION portion of the display will start to flash.

4. Press footswitch 1. The LED for that footswitch will flash and ‘01’ will appear in the display.

5. Press the UP switch and the green MIDI CHAN LED will light up.

6. Press footswitches 0 and 1, so that ‘01’ appears in the display.

7. Press the UP switch again to confirm the chosen MIDI channel.

8. Press and hold the DOWN switch until ‘00’ appears in the display, and you will have left the GLOBAL SETUP menu.

9. Set the BASS V-AMP to respond to MIDI channel 1 if it isn’t already.

Selecting an FCB1010 preset that will allow the BASS V-AMP to respond to a MIDI Note message:

1. Now we’ll select the BANK and PRESET number to be used on the FCB1010. Use the BANK UP and/or DOWN switches to make ‘09’ appear in the display (to select Bank ‘9’).

2. Press footswitch 10 on the FCB1010 to light up it’s LED, and preset ‘10’ will be selected.

3. Press and hold the DOWN switch for about 2 ½ seconds to enter the PRESET programming mode. The number in the display will disappear, and the green SWITCH 1/SWITCH 2 LED will flash.

4. Press the UP switch and the green SELECT LED will light up.

5. At this point, if the LED on footswitch 1 isn’t lit, press and hold the switch for about 1 ½ seconds until it is lit. We have now selected Program Change Command #1 (shown as PRG CHG 1 on footswitch 1).

6. Press footswitch 1 briefly and it will start to flash.

7. Confirm the MIDI function by pressing the UP switch, and the NUMBER LED will light up.

8. Use the footswitches to make ‘1’ appear in the display (this is the program number you want to access on the other MIDI unit).

9. Confirm your selection by pressing the UP switch, and the SELECT LED will light up.

Programming FCB1010 Bank ‘09’, Preset ‘10’:

1. Press and hold the 6 switch to light it up, then press it again to make it flash. Press UP, and the NUMBER LED will light up.

2. Use the numbered switches to make ‘39’ appear in the display, then press UP to make the VALUE 1 LED light up.

3. Use the switches to make ‘14’ appear in the display, then press UP, and the SELECT LED will be lit. This will select MIDI Synth on the unit.

4. Press and hold the 7 switch to light it up, then press it again to make it flash. Press UP, and the NUMBER LED will be lit.

5. Use the switches to enter ‘40’ in the display, then press UP, and the VALUE 1 LED will be lit.

6. Use switches to enter ‘63’ in the display, then press UP to make the SELECT LED light up. This will set the Synth Mix at 50%.

7. Press and hold the 8 switch to light it up, the press it again to make it flash. Press UP to make the NUMBER LED light up.

8. Use switches to make ‘41’ appear in the display, then press UP to light up the VALUE 1 LED.

9. Use footswitches to make ‘0’ appear in the display, then press UP to light up the VALUE 2 LED.

10. Use switches to enter ‘127’ into the display, then press UP, and the SELECT LED will be lit. This sets the range for variation in Synth sound on Exp. pedal A.

11. Press and hold the 9 switch to light it up, then press it again to make it flash. Press UP to light up the NUMBER LED.

12. Use switches to enter ‘44’ into the display, then press UP, and the VALUE 1 LED will light up.

13. Use switches to enter ‘0’ in the display, then press UP, and the VALUE 2 LED will light up.
14. Use switches to enter ‘127’ in the display, then press UP and the SELECT LED will be lit. This sets the range of control for Reverb on Exp. Pedal B.
15. Leave the programming mode by pressing and holding the DOWN switch until a red dot briefly appears in the display, followed by a number. The FCB1010 is now positioned to send MIDI Note messages to the BASS V-AMP.

Creating an FCB1010 preset that will send a MIDI note message to the BASS V-AMP:
1. Use the UP and/or DOWN switches to make ‘00’ appear in the display (for Bank ‘0’).

2. Press switch 2 to light it up, then press and hold the DOWN switch for about 2 ½ seconds, and the SWITCH 1/ SWITCH 2LED will light up.

3. Press the UP switch, and the SELECT LED will light up.

4. Press switch 10/0 to light up it’s LED, then press it again to make it flash. At this point, it is important to make sure that none of the switches numbered 1 through 9 are lit up, as this will interfere with the preset programming. Press UP, and the NUMBER LED will light up.

5. Use switches to make ‘48’ appear in the display (this will correspond to musical note #C2). Press UP and the SELECT LED will light up.

6. Press and hold the DOWN switch until a red dot briefly appears in the display, followed by a number, and you will have left preset programming mode.

7. Use the UP and/or DOWN switches to make Bank ‘09’ appear in the display, then press switch 10/0 to choose preset ‘10’ within the Bank.
Preset ‘1A’ should be selected on the BASS V-AMP.

8. Use the UP and/or DOWN switches to make Bank ‘00’ appear in the display, and then press switch 2 to select preset ‘2’ in the Bank, and the MIDI note (#C2) will play from the LINE outputs of the BASS V-AMP to the mixer or other device.

9. Go back to FCB1010 Bank ‘9’ preset ‘10’ and change the position of Exp. Pedal A, then return to Bank ‘0’ and press on the 2 switch, ad you’ll hear a different Synth sound.

10. Return again to FCB1010 Bank ‘9’ preset ‘10’ and adjust the position of Exp. Pedal B, then go to Bank ‘0’ and press the 2 switch, and this time you’ll hear a different amount of Reverb effect.

In this example, only one MIDI note was selected, but you could continue with the process to create more FCB1010 presets within a Bank to call up more notes. You can program the FCB1010 to act as a bass foot controller, with access to 10 notes of your choice with a Synth sound.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:10 AM

Hey Danny,
A little different from what you're doing but I'm keen to use Pro Tools in live solo gigs and was considering a Behringer 1010 to control it, ie. play stop, jump to next marker (song start position), master fader, etc.
Programming the Behringer looks painfully complex, do you think it is a suitable controller? I'm not sure how to CC transport controls but will have a go.
Laurie