Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 AM

Default SC48 iPad Mac OS

I think a huge reason the iPad app is not out has a lot to do with the software being built on windows OS. Which leads me to ask why? The mac/unix is way more stable. Is it possible to re-code the software for Mac? This way, the software works all over in a better environment. It's embarrassing to see smaller companies that are way cheaper work with a iPad and the avid one does not. You also need to make a SC24 to compete with all the others in the field. The lack of ipad use has delayed our purchase. I wish there was better leadership and customer interaction from avid. I got two surveys from you on how your website is. I responded. It sucks. The pro tools page has not changed in 3-4years. I own 4 pro tools systems and have been with you since the 1994. There's a TON of requests for a basic feature that even prosonus have and yet there's no statement or news on the development of an app.

Your company and business will vastly improve if you heed the requests of your loyal customer base and embrace them. It's more beneficial for avid to develop products the customer base wants and needs and also pay an employee to live on this board to answer all these questions than it is to send guys out in the field to do seminars. Focus on the base you have and get the job done already.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 AM

Default Re: SC48 iPad Mac OS

Just few notes:

Touch-oriented and mouse/keyboard oriented applications are very different. Basically they need to be written separately. And software rewriting is a process that requires
  • time
  • money
and gives you
  • bugs

P.S. Mac isn't more stable than Windows - both are buggy. And 99.99% of bugs goes from programs, not OSes.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 AM

In my opinion, Venue is the most reliable digital mixing platform available today. A big part of that is that they do not rush to market with products that are essentially beta (i.e. Digico), nor waste development time on fringe features. So Yamaha has a great iPad app, that's fine but the platform is sonically inferior. Not a difficult choice if fidelity and stability are a priority.

As a long time user, I have a long list or features I'd like to see, but frankly an iPad app is pretty far down the list after actual sonic upgrades in quality and routing, etc. With the cost of development, it's an issue of priorities.
At any rate, asking to rewrite to Mac OS is akin to asking them to start over at square one rather than building on a very successful design.

Just one opinion from a guy in the trenches.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 AM

Hi 7thheaven, you are not alone, many people have the same feeling as you, D-show with VNC is slow and is a dictatorship, there is no future without progress. this is an old claim, and we see how other companies are improve their systems.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 AM

The open question is whether or not a feature-limited "app" is worth the time/money spent in developing it. The answer is contained in how the console owners actually USE their consoles.

My experience with remote control of consoles is that *if* I need to remote, I NEED access to every feature, every control, every function as if I were standing behind the mixer. A feature-limited app does not provide me the tools I require to do my job.

As for the OP, I guess I've never had a OS melt down on mission critical systems... mostly because the computers we use for show control are never used for general computing work, never get connected to the internet, and are locked down to prevent users/employees from adding to or changing them. This policy and process applies to our Apple products as well as Windows.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 AM

Hi, would be fine with ipad, but, if AVID make a standalone software for windows with tablet PC, like M7CL Yamaha, I Could Not Ask For More ¡¡¡¡I be happy forever!!!! This is all I miss, for the rest, SC48 have all advantages.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM

I use the iPad with my Profile. I have never had any issues and it works great. The VNC is not slow as long as you have a good router. I have total control of my desk as if I were standing in front of it. The app is use called iTeleport VNC. You can find it in the app store. You can control the desk just fine with this program using the VNC in the Venue software. I see no need for them to do a special app when something like this works just fine. It would work just as well on the SC48.