Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Dshow Control via IPAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
Greg-I see your point, but I have used the iPad apps for other consoles and I would say they are okay for a few things, but what I need an app for is to remotely control every aspect of the desk while being able to walk the room, repatch stuff from stage and ring out wedges AND manage plug-ins.

You may disagree with me, as many do...but I think VENUE did it right with creating a VNC-based remote app. I can access anything on the desk just as I would sitting behind it, just from now an iPad. This does have its limitations, but I cannot envision how else to remotely control a VENUE console better than this way.
I must say that I haven’t tried controlling the console with an iPad and VNC yet so this comes from how I think it all works.

The one thing that I think would be so useful would be to be able to be on stage with the act adjusting their monitor mix. But it looks like it would be very hard trying to control the rotary faders. And it looks like if they added a sends on faders button on the screen it would be much easier so you can use the straight-line faders. Would this be a logical step before needing to make a dedicated remote app? And pardon my inexperience but is the pinch and zoom functionality not a global iPad thing? I have also never used an iPad for more then about 2 minutes.

I am helping someone with an M7 right now and the remote app for it seems to be very slow when going between the scene mode and the channel mode and this is being used for musical theater. So it isn’t all that useful. I was shown the functionality and didn’t see it as very helpful for this application.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAXX7 View Post
The one thing that I think would be so useful would be to be able to be on stage with the act adjusting their monitor mix. But it looks like it would be very hard trying to control the rotary faders. And it looks like if they added a sends on faders button on the screen it would be much easier so you can use the straight-line faders. Would this be a logical step before needing to make a dedicated remote app? And pardon my inexperience but is the pinch and zoom functionality not a global iPad thing?
Yes, operating the virtual rotary encoders is a pain. Unless you zoom in rather larger (yes, you can pinch and zoom, but the screen resolution is very blocky/crappy looking when you do), your finger covers up the rotary encoder image and you can't easy see if you're actually making changes. You can't see the virtual LEDs or the number readout very well. This can cause you to make nasty jumps in gain. Not smooth operation at all.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 05-19-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAXX7 View Post
I am helping someone with an M7 right now and the remote app for it seems to be very slow when going between the scene mode and the channel mode and this is being used for musical theater. So it isn’t all that useful. I was shown the functionality and didn’t see it as very helpful for this application.
Yeah, I second that. And also 2/3 of the options aren't available with the remote app. That is why I think the VNC control in superior.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 05-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Superior in feature set but not in functionality. It would be great to have the best of both worlds.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 PM

A good example of practical and intuitive standalone software in a mixer $900
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha4Yz...e_gdata_player
Old 06-13-2012, 03:43 PM

You guys complaining about grabbing controls, rotary or otherwise, via VNC with an IPAD are missing something. With iTeleport go to the Advanced selection on your connection and turn OFF touchscreen mode. Now when you are connected your finger on the ipad works as a trackpad control. Look at the curser, put your finger down away from the cursor and use the surface as a track pad. To control a rotary encoder move the cursor to the encoder and double tap and drag up or down to adjust the encoder. Takes a tiny bit of getting used to but works FAR more accurately than ANY fat finger on a small touchscreen should. VNC Viewer from RealVNC seems to work that way by default and I can't detct any performance advantage with iTeleport over VNC Viewer. Both work VERY well for me to access ALL controls on ANY of my PC based system and console control software. Thus far I have not found a VNC client that will allow a windows tablet to operate the same way. Finally made me break down and buy an IPAD. Works just as good with an wifi IPOD TOUCH or an Iphone as well.