Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Default LE crossgrade unfair price

I've been thinking about this, and the $250 crossgrade for LE users seems unfair. This change in the way AVID are doing things regarding hardware/software means that those who have bought LE hardware at any point in the past are now having the value of their hardware product probably wiped out. Surely AVID should see this, and registered LE hardware owners a more reasonable crossgrade ($50 seems fair).
At this time, it makes sense to break away from the past policy of having to own Digidesign hardware to use PT. BUT, this is penalising those customers who bought these products, which served to establish Pro Tools as the industry standard.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

I second that!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvh9874 View Post
I've been thinking about this, and the $250 crossgrade for LE users seems unfair. This change in the way AVID are doing things regarding hardware/software means that those who have bought LE hardware at any point in the past are now having the value of their hardware product probably wiped out. Surely AVID should see this, and registered LE hardware owners a more reasonable crossgrade ($50 seems fair).
At this time, it makes sense to break away from the past policy of having to own Digidesign hardware to use PT. BUT, this is penalising those customers who bought these products, which served to establish Pro Tools as the industry standard.
Hi,

You think you got hit bad!!!! what about us PT HD 6 accel owners

And $350 (£300) to get 512 busses and voice allocation and the rare occasion i want to risk taking my ilok out of the vault and use my PT9 at home

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvh9874 View Post
I've been thinking about this, and the $250 crossgrade for LE users seems unfair.
Oh my goodness, whine whine.

They basically take the HD version of the software, tweak some stuff and let the LE users get it for a small upgrade price and we want to whine about it.

People have been begging for a software only version, claiming they'd pay real money for it, and now they do it and more, and we want to get for a measly $50.

I for one applaud Avid for doing so much in the short time of their ownership and hope the trend continues.

bottom line, if you dont see value in this upgrade then dont get it, wait till the next one.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Thumbs down Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Honestly, the feature set you are getting out of HD, that was never in LE and never promised and therefore you never had it or were OWED it... is insane!

Avid great job! Avid great features! Avid great job on upgrades! Avid awesome job on pricing it!

I have an 003 that frankly who gives a freak if I paid $1000 for it or not, I already have a Focusrite top of the line interface and never once thought what a waste, the 003 served its purpose...

Honestly, go to Reaper, go to cheap options, why whine about a system maybe you just shouldn't be basing your studio off of...

I am happy to help continue to fund this company forward, it owns the industry and allows you to be part of it with lower end solutions (that which they basically just gave you every extra feature HD has for merely a few dollars per each of those features!)

The whining here basically no matter what so regularly almost sickens me, go give your $50 to Haiti and maybe do something else with your time?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Cool Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumItAnalog View Post
Oh my goodness, whine whine.

They basically take the HD version of the software, tweak some stuff and let the LE users get it for a small upgrade price and we want to whine about it.

People have been begging for a software only version, claiming they'd pay real money for it, and now they do it and more, and we want to get for a measly $50.

I for one applaud Avid for doing so much in the short time of their ownership and hope the trend continues.

bottom line, if you dont see value in this upgrade then dont get it, wait till the next one.
Totally agree!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:31 AM

I'm shocked that it's this low. I would have expected that for Avid to give Native such ground, they would have asked for more.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-05-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I would have expected that for Avid to give Native such ground, they would have asked for more.

SSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Expensive View Post

SSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-05-2010, 11:43 AM

Really, people whining about the price of the cross grade? If you don't need the added features, continue to use LE 8 with your hardware. Otherwise, shell out the $250 and don't complain.

I feel like the only people that complain about the $250 upgrade price tag are the people who pirate plug-ins, mix & record in untreated environments, and own KRKs. If you are truly an "audio engineer" then you should be throwing around $250 like it is chump change.