Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Urgent help needed, 002R/Protools 6.1.2 problems!

Hello,

I have been using protools for about a year now, and have already sent my 002R in once for a power harness repair. Now i'm wondering if I will need to do it again.

The scenario: A friend of mine asked me to mix his session, which was done on a MIX system, so i loaded it up, played it, exited, fine everythings working allright.

Started it up the next day, played iTunes through the coreaudio, and about halfway through the second song, my 002R shuts down, and then turns on again, but iTunes stops playing. This happens again, and again, and again. I open pro tools, and the same thing. Works for about a minute, then shuts off, and on again. Then i get a message about Firewire bus reset or something. So, i check all firewire connections, everythings peachy keen, try it again and still, off on, off on.

So this morning, i tried it again and now when i opened up pro tools it says "check disk allocation, the disk you are trying to play from is not an audio playback volume." I'm using a Lacie 80GB D2, and have been for the whole of my pro tools experience. Why would it start giving me this message now? so when I get past this message, it shows no audio, or it's grayed out, and says i need to copy all the tracks onto a suitable volume for playback. This error is the case with every pro tools session I have done on the harddrive for a year.

Do you have any idea why 1) my system is shutting on/off/on/off, and why all of a sudden my allocation or my harddrive is not suitable for playback. I need this fixed as soon as possible as i am currently taking a pro tools class and do lots of homework at my home. Thanks, and please ask me to clear up anything that might be foggy.

_michael_

I'm using jaguar 10.2.x
Old 11-01-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Urgent help needed, 002R/Protools 6.1.2 proble

The fact that both your 002 AND your hard drive (which I am assuming is firewire) are both acting strangely would lead me to believe it is a problem with the firewire interface on your computer. Do you have them plugged into seperate jacks, or are they in tandem?
Old 11-01-2004, 02:48 PM

Yes, my harddrive is firewire. Heres how the connection works. I have one firewire cable running from 002R into the Lacie harddrive, then another firewire cable running out of the hardrive into the firewire port on my Powerbook G4. I have been doing this from the get go. Why would it be a problem now, and how can i see if firewire is corrupt?

Thanks for replying.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:49 PM

Quote:
The fact that both your 002 AND your hard drive (which I am assuming is firewire) are both acting strangely would lead me to believe it is a problem with the firewire interface on your computer. Do you have them plugged into seperate jacks, or are they in tandem?
Not exactly. Whenever any device enters or leaves the Firewire bus, as would be the case if the 002 spontaneously power cycles, the bus resets and all devices renegotiate. This is regardless of whether they are 'daisy chained' or plugged into separate ports; what matters is if they're on the same FW bus.

I'd power up the 002 with no FW cable attached. If it clicks more than the usual 3 times, and/or continues clicking steadily or randomly, something is wrong. Very possibly the harness or power supply; I'd open it up and reseat all the connectors on the harness, which has helped in some cases.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:45 PM

So my 002R is staying on, and now this disk allocation thing is a big problem. Like i said, i opened up my session one morning and a thing popped up before it loaded saying "disk allocation has been changed, the audio volume is no longer suitable for playback or cannot be found." Then, when i try to allocate the disk onto my FW drive, it says "disk not an audio playback volume" and won't let me do anything. I didn't change anything beore, and this just started to happen. I don't know how to fix it, other than to 1)call lacie tech support 2) backup all files with DVD-r's and then re-format the drive? What can you guys suggest to fix it?

-michael-
Old 11-02-2004, 06:41 AM

Quote:
So my 002R is staying on, and now this disk allocation thing is a big problem. Like i said, i opened up my session one morning and a thing popped up before it loaded saying "disk allocation has been changed, the audio volume is no longer suitable for playback or cannot be found." Then, when i try to allocate the disk onto my FW drive, it says "disk not an audio playback volume" and won't let me do anything. I didn't change anything beore, and this just started to happen. I don't know how to fix it, other than to 1)call lacie tech support 2) backup all files with DVD-r's and then re-format the drive? What can you guys suggest to fix it?

-michael-
Hey:
It has happened to me. This is the fix:
Trash all volume.ddb files. There's one for every hard disk, inside a Digidesign Databases folder. Trash your PT preferences, which are on: user/library/preferences/"your PTLE version", and that's it. Your hard disk will be suitable again. This is explained in the Answerbase. Not the reason, just how to fix it. In my case, I think it happened when I turned off my firewire drive without ejecting it first, and I was warned about a firewire drive being disconnected, etc. etc.
Good luck.
Alex
Old 11-02-2004, 12:07 PM

Thanks so so much for that reply. Your solution was just that, the solution. It solved the problem, and me a lot of grief. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-14-2004, 07:53 PM

Dude, are you IN the Starlight Mints... or just a fan? Great band...

jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan