Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Default Can't launch Pro Tools after "Upgrade"

I'm at a loss here. My set-up has been running like a greasy cheeseburger for ever. Now that I decided to "upgrade" my computer and get an "Avid Qualified" computer, I can't for the life of me get this sob to launch. Everything worked great prior. (I needed to upgrade because it was time... )

So, I HAD a "custom built" PT8HD rig with:

-ASROCK n68c-gs4 fx MoBo(BIOS old as hell)
-AMD FX8350 CPU
-4 GB DDR3 RAM
-128GB SSD
-500GB HDD (Video)
-1TB HDD (Audio)
-nVidia QuadroFX 580 (342.00)
-UAD-2 Solo
-HD|Core PCIx
-HD|Process PCIx
-Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Everything BUT the MoBo and CPU went into an HP z210 Workstation. The CPU in the z210 is the i5-2500. Using a 192 analog for interface.

After re-installing the OS and loading all the crap above in one-by-one, I was at the point of a clean OS install with all current updates/drivers/BIOS and nothing else installed. [I did not wipe my audio/video drives] I began with a clean install of PTHD 8.03>then updated to HD 8.1.1 as I had with my old computer. However, Pro Tools froze everything and required a hard reset at a few plug-ins (which I moved to un-used plugins each time) and then at "Initializing Globals" then at "Reading Preferences."

I uninstalled and reinstalled 4 maybe 5 times already. Borderline insanity... It had made it to the detailed report "Do you want to move these plugins to unused..." right before the Quick Start screen, then FREEZE.

What did I miss...?

Last edited by sdmaas; 04-06-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added correct version
Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Can't launch Pro Tools after "Upgrade"

Hi friend sorry to hear that !

In order to start helping I have to ask the basic . Did you tried deleting databases and preferences ?
Old 04-06-2018, 09:47 AM

At this moment, I have successfully launched PTHD with no 3rd party additions. A symptom not mentioned above had become more apparent. My DVD drive (on the "new" computer) had actually gone out; most likely causing random issues from the start.

I swapped out my DVD drive with a different one and started from scratch. How stupid...

....but it works
Old 04-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi friend sorry to hear that !

In order to start helping I have to ask the basic . Did you tried deleting databases and preferences ?
Yes. I did the data/prefs delete before the fix.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmaas View Post
At this moment, I have successfully launched PTHD with no 3rd party additions. A symptom not mentioned above had become more apparent. My DVD drive (on the "new" computer) had actually gone out; most likely causing random issues from the start.

I swapped out my DVD drive with a different one and started from scratch. How stupid...

....but it works
Great !