Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-15-2003, 02:13 PM

Default if you have protools, why cubase?

I have a 002 and am just getting used to ProTools, and I've noticed several people on here talking about Cubase. I looked at their website and it just looks like another audio mixing / sequencing software... about the same as ProTools.

My question is what does Cubase give you that isn't already in ProTools? Am I missing something? Is it just an interface that some people prefer over ProTools? Is there any reason someone who already spent $2200 for a ProTools system would want to spend another $600(?) for essentially the same functionality?

Just curious.

Ryan Swartzlander
Old 05-15-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Re: if you have protools, why cubase?

I am not really sure, but Cubase (among others) have some advantages over ptle in some area's.

Midi-editing in ptle is good but others are better at it
ptle is limited in its number of tracks you can use
other programs can use VST and VSTi plugins, and ptle only uses audiosuie and RTAS
ptkle only works with digidesign hardware, and others gives you a bigger choice of interfaces

Don't get me wrong, i love ptle, and i have no intention to flame against digidesign or ptle. I am just stating some things that are different between ptle and other daw's. Don't forget that there are LOT's of area's where ptle is very very good at...

Bastiaan
Old 05-15-2003, 03:49 PM

Another reason that a person might want Cubase and PT is compatibility. I can, and have, worked on sessions that start on some other DAW, then come to me for some work, and then go back to someone else using yet another DAW. While this is entirely possible using completely different software, it would be much easier to just use the same software. Even though I like PT, I'd prefer to have Cubase if I was working on a session on which I need to colaborate with another Cubase user. It's just simpler that way.

But I still only have PT. I have very strict rules for how non-PT sessions need to be structured in order to work with me. I've never had any issues becuase of the strict rules.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2
- PreSonus Studio 24c
- MBox 3 Mini
- Mackie Onyx 1640i
- PT 2020.12.1 (vanilla)
- Various USB2/3 and Firewire hard drives
Old 05-16-2003, 02:20 AM

Here are some advangates i see Cubase SX has over LE.

1.No track limit, its up to your computers power.

2. VST instruments and synths.

3. Hardware DSP, you can add a DSP card for more power and better plugins.

4. MIDI, its much more advanced in cubase than LE

5. Works on a very wide selection of hardware, from $50 Soundblaster cards to $1500 MOTU Firewire units and everything in between.

The main advantage PT has over Cubase, to me, is the hardware, it rocks, the 002 is a very sweet unit.

The thing i have always said is that if Digi made the 002 fully compatable with Cubase SX they would sell alot more units, and seeing as LE comes free with the hardware if people dont want to use it digi wont be loosing any money because they buying the hardware, not the software.

Dont get me wrong, for pure audio recording and editing PT cant be beat, but personaly as a whole i perfer Cubase SX.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 06:53 AM

there's only 2 reasons for having cubase (other than hardware, mentioned above):

rewire
softsynths

they're both coming to PT this year. cubase has come a long way. its actually ALMOST as stable as PT now and it has some really cool features that PT lacks. but audio editing and mixing in PT is SSOOOOOOO much better. i'm not talking about 20% better, i'm talking about 20 times better. i think when PT gets rewire and NI gets all their stuff rtas compatable, you're not going to hear people talk much about cubase after that...

as far as hardware goes, i have it on good authority that digi will be expanding their product line soon... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 07:38 AM

I agree, kind of, when LE gets all the NI stuff and re-wire support so you can use reason it will shut alot of people up.

But LE still has a silly track count cap, i mean 32 mono tracks is not alot. I use a Boss GT6 to record alot my electric guitar and i do it in stereo. I normaly have 4-5 guitar tracks per song (Not all playing at once) plus i also use a Roland synth and usually 2-3 tracks for that (Again not all at once) thats 12 -16 tracks gone before adding in Drums (I always use live drums), bass and vocals.

Add at least another 8 tracks for drums, 2 for bass (DI and Mic) and say 3-4 vocal tracks and i only have 2-6 tracks left! If i wanted to add extra percussion , a few horns or strings id be screwed without doing a sub mix bounce.

Its so close to being an acceptable limit, if it was capped at 48 tracks there would be no issue as thats more than enough for most people, including me! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 04:04 PM

I sooo deeply regret having sold my 001. Audio editing is way better in PT than in Cubase, I agree with DB about that. Wasn't Digidesign going to improve PT's midi-editing functionality? Heard something about that. Soon there will be very little reason to buy Cubase instead of PT.

www.voideco.com

My pc's got icepeaks hanging inside, but it sounds like an airplane
Metric Halo ULN8 Firewire Interface,
NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard
Shure SM57 mic, Beyer Dynamic M88 dynamic mic
2 Audio Technika AT4021 mics
Washburn w/Seymour Duncan PAFF humbuckers
Fender Strat w/Seymour Duncan Hot Strat pickups
LAG Western guitar, Koch Pedaltone preamp
Mesa Boogie Fifty/fifty Power Amp
Celestion speaker 12" 85 Wtts, Harley Benton 2 x 50 Wt.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:08 PM

Btw, wasn't Yavuzj working with Cubase SX + a Layla24? He said this combination rocks.

My pc's got icepeaks hanging inside, but it sounds like an airplane
Metric Halo ULN8 Firewire Interface,
NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard
Shure SM57 mic, Beyer Dynamic M88 dynamic mic
2 Audio Technika AT4021 mics
Washburn w/Seymour Duncan PAFF humbuckers
Fender Strat w/Seymour Duncan Hot Strat pickups
LAG Western guitar, Koch Pedaltone preamp
Mesa Boogie Fifty/fifty Power Amp
Celestion speaker 12" 85 Wtts, Harley Benton 2 x 50 Wt.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by voideco:
Btw, wasn't Yavuzj working with Cubase SX + a Layla24? He said this combination rocks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">he's using logic on a mac... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by voideco:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">he's using logic on a mac... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ouch!

I just added to their most helpful thread:
3 Reasons to Stay Mac
Hope you like it.
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]