Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 10-06-2000, 07:30 AM

Default PC & Analog console

Anybody using a CR with both an analog console and a Pro Control. Yes, sharing the same footprint. Can it be done well somehow? Don't ask why....

COCO

Old 10-06-2000, 07:57 AM

Default Re: PC & Analog console

Why!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-06-2000, 09:09 AM

I knew it would happen....
Well, it's for an educational institution, and so there's still a valid reason for having an analog console. The prob is, it's all in one CR.

Any ideas?

Hey Jules, my little closet seems to be working out. Glad yours is too. It's a mini machine room!

-COCO
Old 10-07-2000, 12:05 AM

Do you already have the analogue board, or is there some flexibility?

Maybe argosy could put together a hybrid desk for you, something that would house the PC on the left and maybe an 8 bus mixer on the right.

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 10-07-2000, 10:28 AM

Cool COCO!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-07-2000, 01:48 PM

hey coco,
sorry you had to see the previous messages.

of course i have both, same footprint. some of us producers still use tape, that's why there is still some good sounding music out there. I have <2> 2"x2" medium hard foam pieces, about the width of the procontrol. i set one just above the faders (faders are down) and one about 16" up on the console. then set, gently the procontrol on top. in an analog session i remove the pc for tracking and then put it up for editing, etc.

argosy is a sorry looking thing, sorry argosy.
Old 10-08-2000, 06:27 AM

I've seen a photo where the Procontrol was in a cavity UNDER the desk that held the mixing consol. The top slid sideways on rollers to reveal the PC down below!

Jules

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited October 08, 2000).]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-08-2000, 10:17 PM

Now we're talkin'! I fired off an e-mail to Argossy to see what they can come up with. When I looked at their on line catalog, it seemed like the faders were way far from the wristpad. And to me, that spells arm problems. But it's only a pic, so, who knows. Any Argossy mount PC owners/users/fans/detractors out there? Also could not see where the computer keyboard would mount. Thanks for the suggestion clarpark; if it was my room, I'd be able to do that without breakage; but those dam% college kids, you know. PC on the floor and twisted pots all around...not good for this "application." I like what Jules saw. The PC on a rail (with stoppers) sliding l - r. Sounds like a custom fix. I'll look into that.
Thanks to all. If you got more, please feel free.

-COCO
Old 10-09-2000, 04:45 AM

That fader distance on the Argosy was the reason I didnt go for it. The best way to mount one is in a table with the PC resessed, in it. I have it on top of a table and it is too high and pissing me off, I will cut the table down soon so that faders are lower...
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-09-2000, 01:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by clarpark:
[B]hey coco,
sorry you had to see the previous messages.

of course i have both, same footprint. some of us producers still use tape, that's why there is still some good sounding music out there.

Dear Clarkie....I hate venting at users in this forum , but REALLLYYYY!!!How does it feel to be on the endangered species list mr tape?Please have a peek at the users-section on this site.The days of tape based studios pulling up their noses at us digital users are OVER.Analoge is here only because it had a 50 year head-start.I got a S#!t load of flak when I came up with our studio , BUILT around protools...I almost lost my job.Lucky for me there were guys in the know,with personal access to the investors,who could spot common sense when they saw it.I now run 4 studios,and a disturbing ammount of those "uber-engineers" have come back begging for jobs or studio time.I love analog desks,(we have some)..I dig tape(we use that in studio 3)but I will not tolerate snubbing between formats anymore.Anyway,if you were a true tape-purist you wouldt even be ON this forum.If you have something constructive to say,say it.If you want to take somebody on,go for it.If you want to joke around and be a bit sarcastic,do it...but these little uderhanded jabs at digital as a format..BOY are you EVER in the WRONG place!!

Edit:After posting this message I seriously cosidered deleting it..after all ,Clark,maby you were only speaking in jest,and thats cool..so if this is the case accept my appologies .But I leave this post on unedited 'cause maby it will start something.Its time guys who BELEIVE in their hard-drives stop being ashamed of it when in the precence of the Priest of Tape.Maby this will generate some interesting posts,or at least some amusing ones!

[This message has been edited by Last (edited October 09, 2000).]