Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2018, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Kontakt 5 multiple outs crashing protools

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
it's not a known issue with PT.. it's every DAW i have ever used.

OP seems to have disappeared.
my bad then .. i should say DAW's .. i just do not have horrible issues on my systems .. i feel lucky when i read a lot of posts ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-24-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
my bad then .. i should say DAW's .. i just do not have horrible issues on my systems .. i feel lucky when i read a lot of posts ..
i don't have really horrible issues either, i get you. I have been unable to understand why people keep insisting here that pro tools does not perform well with VI's, when yes, i have an issue at 32 samples, but at 128 it performs only a bit under logic and better than both cubase and studio one with their high asio guard and high dropout protection on. In fact i can play back stuff i can't on S1 and Cubase without pops and clicks, on the same mac.

Point is to at last try help the OP realise that his kontakt is being all stacked on one core and that's why it's bombing out. Nothing wrong with kontakt OR pro tools is what i mean :)
Old 01-24-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
i don't have really horrible issues either, i get you. I have been unable to understand why people keep insisting here that pro tools does not perform well with VI's, when yes, i have an issue at 32 samples, but at 128 it performs only a bit under logic and better than both cubase and studio one with their high asio guard and high dropout protection on. In fact i can play back stuff i can't on S1 and Cubase without pops and clicks, on the same mac.

Point is to at last try help the OP realise that his kontakt is being all stacked on one core and that's why it's bombing out. Nothing wrong with kontakt OR pro tools is what i mean :)
copy all that .. !!! agreed .. i use 128 for VI's and am fine with it .. no need to try to push my system .. maybe one day i will be able to use 32 or 64 (i use my lynx mixer for audio at 32 samples and love that) .. and when i play instruments in kontakt standalone 64 works fine too (pretty sure you have mentioned this across one of your posts) .. if i could rewire it !!! yahoo .. just do not do enough to warrant using BlueCat or VEP

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-25-2018, 06:52 PM

Do NOT, i repeat do NOT have kontakt plugin's multiprocessor activated in pro tools.

Make sure it is set to "aax OFF".

I have now done extensive tests and it causes cpu spikes in all scenarios..

At 96K and 128 buffer, i could not play mono notes on a simple sitar patch without pro tools dropping out and cpu spiking to 100..

turn off multi processor, and pro tools performance meter dropped to 30% consistent and NO dropouts.

It also has NO benefit in Logic.. There is something wrong with kontakt.. The only way i have seen benefit is to have it enabled in stand alone mode.

i have *16* instances of kontakt in a project with 8 cores activated, and there is no outside processing whatsoever.. there is on NI process in activity monitor which is what i thought it initially was, but it never goes above 1% cpu.

There is no extra process outside the DAW doing *anything*, and in all cases it worsens kontakt plugin performance in all DAW's. Let you DAW manage the processing for you!
Old 01-26-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Do NOT, i repeat do NOT have kontakt plugin's multiprocessor activated in pro tools.

Make sure it is set to "aax OFF".

I have now done extensive tests and it causes cpu spikes in all scenarios..

At 96K and 128 buffer, i could not play mono notes on a simple sitar patch without pro tools dropping out and cpu spiking to 100..

turn off multi processor, and pro tools performance meter dropped to 30% consistent and NO dropouts.

It also has NO benefit in Logic.. There is something wrong with kontakt.. The only way i have seen benefit is to have it enabled in stand alone mode.

i have *16* instances of kontakt in a project with 8 cores activated, and there is no outside processing whatsoever.. there is on NI process in activity monitor which is what i thought it initially was, but it never goes above 1% cpu.

There is no extra process outside the DAW doing *anything*, and in all cases it worsens kontakt plugin performance in all DAW's. Let you DAW manage the processing for you!
Agreed. Even in VEPro turn off the multi-processing in Kontakt. As I mentioned earlier cpu usage when running Kontakt varies depending on what libraries are in use and what scripting they use. Heavily scripted patches will absolutely drive up cpu usage.

QAPLA!
Old 01-26-2018, 06:45 AM

Thanks, for the reply. what you are saying does make sense. I can run multiple instruments within one instance no problem as long as they are not routed out to seperate audio channels in protools and are kept on the main stereo bus within the plug in. Once I route them it goes into freeze or if i'm lucky I can alter some value every couple minutes before it freezes up again. If routing the instruments audio paths externally uses massive cpu power then this must be the problem. I was unware that one instance could not be split between cores but it makes sense even though its said by doing this it should reduces cpu power which is only correct to a point. One thing that has helped the problem is when creating new stereo channels within kontakt to use Aux 1 as the channel to host the new one. The aux 1 is then remapped automatically to stereo 2 whilst a new aux 1 is created. Keeping the instruments to 4 for one instance and routing this specific way is currently working for me.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:23 AM

Another strange thing i have found and tested: If an instance of kontakt which has more than 4 instruments loaded is deactivated prior to starting (done when closing the previous session) then protools will start normally. If not it will freeze. Once protools started normally because of deactivating the plugin before closing the session, I could then reactivate it without any problems and use it as normal. Which is really strange.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam8mail View Post
Another strange thing i have found and tested: If an instance of kontakt which has more than 4 instruments loaded is deactivated prior to starting (done when closing the previous session) then protools will start normally. If not it will freeze. Once protools started normally because of deactivating the plugin before closing the session, I could then reactivate it without any problems and use it as normal. Which is really strange.
You using the latest version of Kontakt?

QAPLA!
Old 01-28-2018, 09:31 AM

yes the latest version