Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 11-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Default PT M-powered slave to PT HD: optical only

Is it possible to sync pro tools m-powered 7.4.2 to a pro tools hd rig on 7.3.1 via ONLY? It's a 192 and a profire 2626. The profire has no smpte so I was hoping to sync it with optical. I went into settings and set the clock to external, optical A for the profire. Didn't touch the hardware setup on the HD rig, just left it on internal... any ideas?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Default Re: PT M-powered slave to PT HD: optical only

Syncing hardware...yes...syncing two version of PT? PTMP doesnt have SMPTE, but the Profire has wordclock in/out via BNC, SPDIF and ADAT...You are getting SMPTE and wordclock mixed up....These are two completely seperate animals.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish??

If you are wanting to expand your 192 I/O with the Profire, then you will need to set the profire up in "standalone" mode to whatever sample rate your using on the 192 I/O....The 192 I/O is not capable of SMUX so 48k is the max sample rate you can get via ADAT.

Soo...Set your Profire to 44.1k or 48k...connect it to the 192 I/O via ADAT and lock them together....Create your session and use 44.1lk or 48k to track...

Hope this helps!
Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster Pro
KRK RP8's
1Tb Dual drive array.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM

Sorry, that's what I meant... it just has no bnc connections on it... anyway, I want to sync the m-powered system to the 192's clock via optical. I'm using an HD rig for a 5.1 HD recording in a theatre and I need a few more tracks than the rig that was rented. So, I want to sync the m-powered (running on a macbook pro) to the g5 HD setup so, when I go to combine the sessions in the studio, they are on the same timeline and have no variances..
Old 11-06-2008, 04:23 PM

Ok, so I just reread what you said and I realized what you meant and what I didn't think of it. So you are saying, the ProFire becomes an additional 8 in's for the 192 via adat and pull them into a single protools session on one computer? Wow, I don't know why I didn't think of that! Here I am trying to sync two rigs on one clock to run two pro tools sessions on two seperate machines!! LOL, ok, sorry... thanks!
Old 11-06-2008, 04:25 PM

Ya you really wont be able to do that...

To sync the 2 systems in the manner your asking would require SPMTE on PTMP, and a way to accept timecode into PTMP wich the profire does not have...Your asking for the impossible

My suggestion would be to just connect the Profire to the ADAT of the of the 192 I/O and get your extra tracks in the HD rig itself....The unfortunate part about recording in 5.1 on the HD rig is that when you move back to PTMP it wont quite work...

Best of luck!
Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster Pro
KRK RP8's
1Tb Dual drive array.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Not a problem, we actually run HD 1 in my studio... the profire is a intern's rig that we will connect. But I was just looking at the 192's and they max at 16 simultaneous channels. so whether you connect analog, or any combination of digital it's still 16.

edit: NM, I just realized the mobile rig that I'm renting has TWO 192's. So adat it is.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:06 PM

Ok, this is still not working. I connected adat A in/out to the digi 192's adat out/in. In the TDM settings, I sent my inputs to adat 1-8. I was able to get some audio in (some wierd setup where all the tracks were summed and all came out adat 1-8 equally - worthless) and eventually get the two sync'd (pops went away) but the biggest problem is the M-Audio standalone software!!

Ok, so I got a test signal coming in analog 1; shows up on the mixer. I then went to the routing tab and tried to set the output of 'analog 1' to 'Adat out 1' but there is not 'adat out 1' as an option in the drop down menu!! The options are:

analog in 1-8
adat a in 1-8
adat b in 1-8
sw return 1-2x
aux 1-8
mixer

None of these options allowed my to keep my tracks isolated and independently sent to the adat a 1-8 outs and to PT HD. What's the deal?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:04 PM

why not use MTC? you will need a midi interface on both systems....
Old 11-10-2008, 06:05 PM

btw, i have successfully sync'd an le and mpowered system using a common clock and MTC with great results...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 AM

I'm not so much worried about the syncing issues (that's easy to figure out) as I am the fact that I can't get the audio to OUPUT through ADAT. I need to run mics into the 2626's pres, get my levels and output those signals through the ADAT out and into the ADAT in of one of the 192's. I didn't seem that the routing software allows this (maybe I'm missing something). I can route to all sorts of ins/outs but ADAT a/b OUT is not an option....?!? Thanks!