How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-17-2015, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Plug in missing when opening old sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The thing is you are going to have to find the newer version of the plugin that's no longer available. So yes, you WILL get a window that comes up saying such and such a plugin is no longer available and would you like to save a detailed report? At least the name of the plugin will still be in the insert slot so you'll have some idea of whether it was an eq, compressor, or whatever. And you'll have to recreate the plugin settings from scratch sorry to say.

You are in for a lot of work.
Yeah but you know what, my problem is first to find the exact name of the missing plugin !! Not sure how to do that too...
Old 01-17-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zull View Post
Do you have PT10 co-installed? Do you still have your 7.4 installers? Worst case scenario is that you could take any missing .dpm plugin files from 7.4 and drop them into the PT10 plugin folder. I'm not sure if that would work but if you are desperate you could give it a shot.

Such is the nature is archiving old sessions in any DAW. I've had to remix at least some portion of most sessions that old that I've reopened.
No i dont have PT10.
'LoL" remix... haha

So you mention PT10 because its worthless to try to drag and drop plugin from 7.4 to P11 ? But it is from 7.4 to PT10 ?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
depends on what's missing,
some don't exist any more

http://www.avid.com/plugins/?query=&...=AAX+Native+64
Okay.

So i go to this page then i type the name of the plug in in the refine/ filter/ enter plug in name or company box then........... nothing happened !!

Do i need to learn an entire guide just to use this simple plug in compatibility grid url ?....

I typed "short delay II" or "phasescope" which was an example of the name of the plug in i miss and i obtain fkn BS everything but not once im looking for...

Im done with this software and all avid universe. So fkn done.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yeah but you know what, my problem is first to find the exact name of the missing plugin !! Not sure how to do that too...
Like I said a window will or should come up saying such and such a plugin is not available and would you like to save a detailed report. So there's your answer.
Quote:
Okay.

So i go to this page then i type the name of the plug in in the refine/ filter/ enter plug in name or company box then........... nothing happened !!

Do i need to learn an entire guide just to use this simple plug in compatibility grid url ?....

I typed "short delay II" or "phasescope" which was an example of the name of the plug in i miss and i obtain fkn BS everything but not once im looking for...

Im done with this software and all avid universe. So fkn done.
The delays are one of those that have been combined into one plugin. Phasescope I think has gone away.

I think you need to calm down and work through the process. It may seem like a slog at times but will be worth it. Sometimes progress does away with old comfortable things and one has to get used to that. Not saying you have to like it but learn to deal with it. We all do at some time or another.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Like I said a window will or should come up saying such and such a plugin is not available and would you like to save a detailed report. So there's your answer.

The delays are one of those that have been combined into one plugin. Phasescope I think has gone away.

I think you need to calm down and work through the process. It may seem like a slog at times but will be worth it. Sometimes progress does away with old comfortable things and one has to get used to that. Not saying you have to like it but learn to deal with it. We all do at some time or another.
LoL ok im gonna calm down but please tell me how am i supposed to use that avid plug in link above ?
I type "compressor" which is a comp i was using a ton then nothing appear ? Whats wrong with me here ?
Old 01-17-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
LoL ok im gonna calm down but please tell me how am i supposed to use that avid plug in link above ?
I type "compressor" which is a comp i was using a ton then nothing appear ? Whats wrong with me here ?
If I type in the word 'compressor' I get a bunch of listings. You also have to make use of the checkboxes at the left side of the page. Check what version of PT you're asking about, plugin format. You could also not type anything in in the search box but just check the 'dynamics' box in 'Type' at the left side. And the listing will customize to what you're looking for.

That, combined with what I wrote about before and you should be able to find the info you need. It's really simple.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 AM

Assuming you had an earlier version(PT7) installed on this computer, and you now have 10 installed(which can be co-installed with 11), find the RTAS plugins folders in the Common FIles>Digidesign>DAE folder. There should be a sub folder named Plugins and another called Plugins(unused). Open the Plugins(unused) folder and look for the plugins you want. There should be 2 files for each plugin, with different extensions. Highlight both files for any plugin you want and do a Copy. Then back out and open the Plugins folder and paste the 2 files in there. Restart Pro Tools and try it.

BTW, no matter how upset you are about maybe needing to remix, doing this in a new version of PT is going to be easier than starting from absolute zero in a new DAW

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-17-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Assuming you had an earlier version(PT7) installed on this computer, and you now have 10 installed(which can be co-installed with 11), find the RTAS plugins folders in the Common FIles>Digidesign>DAE folder. There should be a sub folder named Plugins and another called Plugins(unused). Open the Plugins(unused) folder and look for the plugins you want. There should be 2 files for each plugin, with different extensions. Highlight both files for any plugin you want and do a Copy. Then back out and open the Plugins folder and paste the 2 files in there. Restart Pro Tools and try it.

BTW, no matter how upset you are about maybe needing to remix, doing this in a new version of PT is going to be easier than starting from absolute zero in a new DAW
Ok thanks TO ALL OF YOU GUYS for your help i really appreciate and im so sorry to be angry but music should be a pleasure and i dont see any pleasure making music with such annoying and heavy technology...

Anyway, No my PT 7,4 is not on my PT11 computer so how am i supposed to do to try the trick you was proposing dear albee ?
Old 01-17-2015, 08:21 AM

Keep in mind that you are opening up sessions for a version of PT that is over 7 years old, as PT7.4 was released in October of 2007 iirc. Things are gonna change over that amount of time, and even though newer versions of PT can import really old versions of sessions, there are bound to be things that didn't quite translate exactly to the new version. Plugins are one of these exceptions, as they change over time with new revisions etc. quite frequently.

Here's what you could do. This is assuming that you will have PT10 installed, as PT11 can't use RTAS plugins with the .dpm extension, only AAX64 in 11.

Make a backup of all the currently installed plugins for PT10, just make a folder and move them there (somewhere other than the unused plugins folder). Then, copy EVERY plugin from the 7.4 plugins and unused plugins folder, and drop them into the PT10 plugins folder. Try opening the session then and see what plugins are getting restored and are functional in the session in question. Then, once you've done what you gotta do to the session, close it and start adding back in the PT10 plugins. Once you get everything in there, and have done what you need to do to the legacy session, then you can start cleaning up the PT10 plugins and unused plugins folders until you have them organized how you like.

I feel your pain, been there with this. An up-side is that I'm 7 years better of an engineer than I was in 2007 now, so often times when I open up those old sessions I say to myself, "wow, I would do this totally different and better now these days", and I remix it to how I'd like to hear it now.

Good luck, it's a task but you can get it done with a little tenacity.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Anyway, No my PT 7,4 is not on my PT11 computer so how am i supposed to do to try the trick you was proposing dear albee ?
Do you still have the 7.4 installers? Do you have another PC you can temporarily install it on so that you can copy the plugins?