Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-11-2020, 09:42 AM

Default Running old AND new on different computers

So i have a mac pro 4,1 with PT 10 running mountain lion, I recently got a MBP running mojave and want to run Pro tools on that as well, I was hoping to use my ilok to bounce between the two, but i'm concerned my license for 10 will be eliminated when i upgrade. It's imperative i keep my old system as the new one will be mainly for mobile work. What's my best course of action, should I just get a new ilok and start over new? Is there a way to upgrade and keep my old version?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Running old AND new on different computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot2000x View Post
So i have a mac pro 4,1 with PT 10 running mountain lion, I recently got a MBP running mojave and want to run Pro tools on that as well, I was hoping to use my ilok to bounce between the two, but i'm concerned my license for 10 will be eliminated when i upgrade. It's imperative i keep my old system as the new one will be mainly for mobile work. What's my best course of action, should I just get a new ilok and start over new? Is there a way to upgrade and keep my old version?
this is just my opinion ...

keep the System you have Exactly as it is .. i assume your System is Rock Solid !!

and buy a new version of pro tools (probably find a deal and get a free iLok) - get the new Metal One, much better .. and your choice of Perpetual or Subscription for PT ..

your old iLok will work .. but PT10 will not work on new computer ..

my license is for 10,11,12 ... thats what happened when i upgraded .. not sure how it works now .. BUT this license is not able to be Split Up .. cannot use PT10 on one system and PT12 on another at the same time ... would be nice !!!

i am sure others will have other ideas for you ...

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-11-2020, 10:39 AM

I think the question was not to use two systems at the same time but instead keep using the old and the new systems in two different setups having the same old ilok license. Which works by the way, as long as you are using one system at once
Old 01-11-2020, 12:46 PM

^^^ Exactly this, i want to be able use my lap top on the go and do most of the work on the bigger, considerably more powerful machine at home but keep the mac pro OS as is with the ability to swap the ilok between the two.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot2000x View Post
^^^ Exactly this, i want to be able use my lap top on the go and do most of the work on the bigger, considerably more powerful machine at home but keep the mac pro OS as is with the ability to swap the ilok between the two.
You might not be able to swap sessions between the two computers unless your plugins have both 32 and 64 bit aax format support. PT10 uses 32 bit aax and every version of PT after that uses 64 bit aax. Some developers of late in an effort to support Catalina have dropped 32 bit versions of their plugins. Check with support for any third party plugins you have on whether they still support both 32 and 64 bit aax.

I think subscription plans only have a PT2019 license asset. The permanent plans - I don't know. I just looked on the Sweetwater site and they're still selling reinstatement plans for $299 but those plans went away at the start of this year. A permanent license license asset plan is $599 for vanilla PT. It looks like you'll be having two separate license assets and if you do I'd get a second iLok and keep the two assets on separate iLoks. And don't forget ZDT insurance at $30/year - it's the cheapest investment that can pay off if you ever have a damaged iLok. And to cover if said iLok gets stolen activate TLC (theft & loss coverage) which is free.

QAPLA!
Old 01-11-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And to cover if said iLok gets stolen activate TLC (theft & loss coverage) which is free.
... but requires syncing the key every 90 days
Old 01-12-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
... but requires syncing the key every 90 days
That's easy though.

QAPLA!
Old 01-12-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That's easy though.
At least usually it is. However if you are touring and have no idea about network (or its costs) good idea to sync before leaving
Old 01-12-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
At least usually it is. However if you are touring and have no idea about network (or its costs) good idea to sync before leaving
Hahaha Every Hotel I ever stayed at incl small beautiful boutique hotels in pretty elusive places on earth has had free wifi so 2020 that wont be an issue for 99.99% of the PT users. I mean who use Pro Tools on top of mt everest or K2

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-12-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hahaha Every Hotel I ever stayed at incl small beautiful boutique hotels in pretty elusive places on earth has had free wifi so 2020 that wont be an issue for 99.99% of the PT users. I mean who use Pro Tools on top of mt everest or K2
Actually hasn't been a problems for years. A lot of fast food places have free wifi. So do cafes and other places of business and let's not forget libraries where they still exist.

QAPLA!