Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-18-2007, 05:58 AM

Default Strange Popping Sound on DI...not clock related.

So I was recording a small band over the last few nights and here is what I had.

2 guys were rehearsing/recording in my live room. One was a drummer and all his drums were mic'd and then the singer/guitarist who I had a Beta 58 mic for live vocals and a Pod XT for his guitar running directly in through a direct box.

Over the course of the evening, I kept noticing that really annoying 'pop' sound like when your external clock isn't working right. However, since it was only happening on one channel, I knew it couldn't be that. PLus, it wasn't quite as blunt as that particular pop usually sounds.

So I thought maybe it was the Pod (maybe clipping) so I ran him a line out of his amp and sure enough, it's still there. I even ran the cord into my iso room just to see if it changed anything. Nothing at all.

So my thoughts were:

a. static electricity? Its very dry up here in New England right now. Could this at all have anything to do with it? Probably not but the sound I keep getting somehow just screams 'static' to me.

b. everyone being in the same room together?

c. the preamp? I have a UA 2-610 I was running for the guitar that evening.

I basically just wanted to give you a preview of what I was experiencing. If you have any other questions that would be helpful if I answered, I will answer away. Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have. I always appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Strange Popping Sound on DI...not clock related.

Perhaps a loose connection inside the guitar itself, or a bad instrument cable?