Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Full-Screen Reference Video Without AVoption/MOJO

I'm putting together a small film post room along with a foley and ADR room next door. I need to be able to have the video reference window (quicktime) displayed in full-screen so I can split it and send it two places:
1 - On a large screen in front of my console for video ref.
2 - In the Foley/ADR room for spotting.

Can this be done without the AVoption or Mojo? The editors simple want to send my quicktime files to reference, but is there a way to view them in full-screen?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Full-Screen Reference Video Without AVoption/MOJO

Get one of tha Canopus options. Cheak out the Post forum.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-20-2006, 07:37 PM

Hey Rail,

I guess I wasnt specific enough in my question. Can this be done when importing a Quicktime video? What you ask? Well, viewing the quicktime video in full screen. I'm not on ProTools|HD just yet, so I thought I'd ask.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:03 PM

yes, the post & surround forum is a better place for this...

but i am confused, in your post over there about full screen video, you were given several options beside mojo and AV option. what didn't you get about that advice? i am not being snide, i am honestly trying to help.

...and, not that i like contravening rail, but i would avise against a canopus -- too much latency, drift, lousy scrubbing, and takes its own FW port. the FUSE-X (which was suggested to you in the other forum) is almost as cheap! but better performance -- and plays more codecs!

FUSE-X
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-20-2006, 09:41 PM

The reason I posted this here is because this is more of a general HD functionality thing. I don't personally use an HD system (yet), but I have worked on many in commercial studios. My question is regarding the fuction of the Quicktime window in PT. Can I route this window to a seperate screen and blow it up full-screen?

If the FuseX card can do this - that's great! But how? Does the FuseX actually intercept the quicktime video and output it via the PCI card?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:41 PM

hi,
yes, well, the suggestion was to go to the post forum, where people do mix to picture ands edit to picture stuff. this TDM forum is more general how to use and problems with TDM systems in MAC OS. but, both post and non-post people hang out here.......

and to answer your question, yes. the FUSE-X will go in a PCI slot -- hopefully you have a free one and work woth your MIX or LE system. you import the QT into Pro Tolols and the movie will play out the FUSE-X card. in fact, anything you play in QT will play out the FUSE-X card. even 24fps movies, which it does by means of duplicating some frames... don't know if i would trust it to really mix a 24fps movie with, but pretty cool. you sure could watch it. DV, DVC PRO, PO 50, H.264, Sorenson, MJPEGA, MJPEGB. etc......
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 02-21-2006, 12:51 AM

Wow - thats great! The FuseX looks pretty neat. But you say you wouldnt trust it - how so? Is it too slow or latent? And if this is the case, this begs to ask the question...how do the big guys do it? Are they locked to an Avid system? What is it about this card that would make it not trustworthy? Thanks for the help
Old 02-21-2006, 06:28 AM

Just thought I'd mention another possible solution. Many Macs already have a dual-head monitor card in them. Some output SVHS as well, such as the Radeon 9800 shown here: Radeon 9800 Mac edition

You can output to either two monitors or a computer monitor and SVHS (composite adapter available if you need to split that signal through a video DA). If you have a plasma or LCD monitor with DVI input, the quality looks great. Does not take up a PCI slot. Will not capture, but if all you need is playback, a dual head graphics card works fine.

Bob
Old 02-21-2006, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Full-Screen Reference Video Without AVoption/M

we do this with an apple dual card. one goes to the computer monitor, another goes to a splitter.
the splitter goes to a second monitor for the control room, the second signal goes into a little
vga -> rca converter and into a tv.

simply set the second monitor resolution to 640x480, drag your movie window to it, and click it
to open full screen.

you won't have perfect sync action(tm) but it is plenty good enough for adr/foley.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Wow - thats great! The FuseX looks pretty neat. But you say you wouldnt trust it - how so? Is it too slow or latent?
no, you misunderstand me for **24 frames per second ONLY** .. i COMPLETELY trust it for 29.97 or 25!!!
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash