Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2001, 04:02 PM

Default \"Help please\" - Midi beat clock - Novation SupernovaII - Unitor8 MKII

The Supernova is the first bit of gear I've bought thats ever required the use of 'midi beat clock'.

Is it usual for all the 'Midi out' green LED's to light up when in 'midi beat clock mode'? I've been trying to select just the Supernova for beat clock usage but can't see how. The RS422 LED also lights up when I go into this mode.

I have no hookup to RS422. I am connected to my G4 via USB.
Old 05-26-2001, 04:59 PM

Default Re: \"Help please\" - Midi beat clock - Novation SupernovaII - Unitor8 MKII

Hi there,

In the Pro Tools MIDI menu, select "MIDI Beat Clock", ensure the Supernova box is checked, and the "Enable MIDI Beat Clock". All other boxes should be left unchecked.

The only light that should be on is the MIDI activity light that corresponds with the MIDI port your Supernova is connected to.

I'm not familiar with a RS422. I assume it's a networking thing? I wouldn't expect it should be affected unless it is recognised by OMS as a MIDI device (if that's even possible), and it has been checked in the "MIDI Beat Clock" window (in which case, uncheck it).

Please post back and let me how you're getting on with it.

Phil
Old 05-27-2001, 02:13 AM

Default Re: \"Help please\" - Midi beat clock - Novation SupernovaII - Unitor8 MKII

Hi accession, here I guess lies the problem. Supernova does not appear in the 'midi beat clock' window. The only things that do are; Unitor8 and the ?IAC Bus #1. I have enabled the 'Midi beat clock' check box window. I also did the same to Unitor8 cause that was my only option to get the lock.

So how do I get the Supernova in 'that' window?

Thanks for your help!
Tim

[This message has been edited by T-Way (edited May 27, 2001).]
Old 05-27-2001, 05:12 AM

Ah, easily fixed!

1) Open your OMS studio setup.

2) Double-click on your Supernova icon, and check the "Receive MIDI Clock" box is checked.

3) It may cause problems if both the Unitor and Supernova are being sent Beat Clock. The Unitor should probably not be checked in the Pro Tools Beat Clock window. In fact, you can pop back into OMS and change the settings of the Unitor and IAC BUS (as demonstrated with the Supernova) so that they no longer appear in the Pro Tools Beat Clock window.

4) Finally, ProTools may have to be in playback or recording mode for the Beat Clock to be registered by the synth.

Happy arpeggiating!

Phil
Old 05-27-2001, 09:56 AM

1) Open your OMS studio setup.

Done

2) Double-click on your Supernova icon, and check the "Receive MIDI Clock" box is checked.

Already was (but done)

OK, now the fun begins (not)
I cannot access the Unitor8 like I can moduals for preference settings. Infact I cannot access it at all. It appears as an icon that I can highlight but cannot access for information. It is connected to my system via USB.

My OMS window reads as follows;
Digi 001
IAC Driver
Studio Patches PGM CHG
Unitor8-USB (+ everything else connected to it 'as below')
Supernova
Studio SL880
X3
ESI4000 (under ESI32 logo)
SPD-20

Everything connected to the Unitor does not appear in the 'Midi beat clock' window (even when checked in the box within OMS setup as send and receive 'midi clock'.

Am I going crazy?

Thanks for sticking with me Phil
Tim
Old 05-27-2001, 04:33 PM

Hi Tim,

Ooops! I may have sent you on a wild goose chase re the Unitor issue. But you still should be able to access some preferences. If you double-click on it, or select "MIDI Device Info" from the menu, it should come up with a box listing all the MIDI Channels you want to use. You're right though, no option for Beat Clock though. That's ok. It just means that it should always be able to pass Beat Clock as required.

So you Supernova still won't appear in the Pro Tools Beat Clock window, despite having the box checked? That's strange. Try running the S'Nova from the Digi001 MIDI ports (with the associated changes made to your OMS Studio). Does that help?

Also, in OMS, can you select "Make Current" or "Save and Make Current"? This ensures that the Studio Document you're working (of which there can be several different versions if you desire) is the one Pro Tools will refer to.

Let me know how the S'Nova + Digi001 combo works. That'll be a start. I'll have to have a think about why Pro Tools can't see through the Unitor to see the other synths. Tell me, when you open a new Pro Tools MIDI Track, are all your synths listed in the MIDI Device/Channel output window?

Incidently, have you changed the name of the ESi32 to match your ESi4000? Of course, the icons are limited. However, I wonder if one can ever create new icons?

Keep me posted on what works/doesn't work.

Phil
Old 05-28-2001, 04:06 AM

One step ahead there. I connected the Supernova to Digi's midi and works fine. Changes made to OMS and all is well. Supernova now appears in the 'midi beat clock' window.

Now back to the old setup;
There are no preferences to access for the Unitor8. Its just sit there as an icon with lock (if you get my meaning). I can't see anything in 'unitor8 control' either (emagic software).

Phil
"Tell me, when you open a new Pro Tools MIDI Track, are all your synths listed in the MIDI Device/Channel output window"?

Yes (now on both the 'old' setup and the 'new').

Yes I have changed to name to ESI4000 just using the 32 icon. New icons 'no idea'?

Just to go over an earlier point;
the unitor appeared in the 'Midi beat clock' window with no listing of the connected gear. The digi manual would hint that the unitor does not support 'Midi beat clock'. I could'nt believe a product like this would not have this feature and thought it must be me. It does pass information through as mentioned, but I was finding inconsistencies and assumed it was down to 'ALL"'green LED's being lit.

I have sent an email to Emagic, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers for your help Phil.
Tim
Old 05-31-2001, 02:59 PM

Here's what I sent

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

>I've been using my Unitor8 mkII for some time now. Very happy I am. But I
>have a problem.
>
>I've just purchased my first ever bit of gear that requires the use of
>'Midi
>beat clock' (for use with an arpegiator within a Novation Supernova II).
>
>I'm running a Digi 001 with Protools LE. The Midi beat clock window only
>shows the Unitor8 and not the devices connected to it. Does the Unitor8
>support 'Midi beat clock'?
>
>Your help (at your earliest convenience) will be most welcome.
>Technical problems when a studio session beckons is unnerving to say the
>least!
>
>Regards
>Tim
>

The reply

Hello,

just activate the MIDI Clock button in Logic; MIDI clock will be send to
any of the MIDI ports then... no problem.

Beste Grüsse, best Regards
InfoCenter GERMANY
EMAGIC Hard- and Software GmbH
Halstenbeker Weg 96, D-25462 Rellingen
Tel.04101-495-116
Fax 04101-495-199
[email protected]
www.emagic.de

I guess it would have been a nice reply had I been using Logic?
Old 06-01-2001, 08:02 AM

Ah bless them! Something got a little lost in the German translation I think!

Still, it does seem strange that the Unitor won't pass MIDI Beat Clock.

Sorry, but I'm all out of ideas.

Phil