Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins

Old 03-02-2020, 03:26 PM

Default Ongoing woes with the Virus Indigo plugin

Hi, this is my first post here; I've been trying to find some thread related to the same issue, but without any luck, so here goes nothing.

I purchased an Mbox Mini 2 bundled with a copy of Pro Tools 7.4 LE a while ago. I've been using Pro Tools for audio mixdowns exclusively, doing all my MIDI sequencing in Renoise and Ableton, and recording audio in Auria Pro running on an iPad in a Focusrite dock (a godsend if you're using a sensitive mic in a bedroom studio since there's absolutely no noise, and the preamps are pretty decent IMO, but I digress). Then I picked up a copy of Virus Indigo TDM on eBay, bubbling with joy and excitement, which proved to be very short-lived, unfortunately. First of all, the bloke who'd sold me the Mbox could not remember the password to his iLok account. The first-generation iLok with the Pro Tools licence works, but I'd had to buy another one (registered to an account I subsequently created for myself) to activate the Indigo plugin. Well, I've installed and activated the plugin, and Pro Tools sees it when it fires up (or at least lists it among the allegedly loaded plugins), but still fails to display the instrument in the plugin menu.

I'm completely out of my depth here, and relevant information seems to be very scarce indeed. Is there any reason why TDM plugins may not run on the Mbox Mini? No Motorola processor, perhaps? Would buying a used PCI farm card fix things? Any chance of a hack that would allow the plugin to take advantage of similar processors on my first-generation Powercore card (yes, I know they have their own Virus plugin, but I haven't got a valid licence, and they've stopped supporting licence transfers for legacy products, anyway)? Or is it because I have two iLoks (and different models to boot)? Or could it be something else entirely? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mick
Old 03-03-2020, 01:56 AM

Default Ongoing woes with the Virus Indigo plugin

As you have surmised, TDM plugins can only run on TDM hardware. You'd need an HD or Mix core card, an HD or Mix interface, and a license for an HD or TDM version of Pro Tools.

Having multiple iLoks on different accounts is not a problem. The original owner of the older iLok could recover his login credentials if he cared to help you.

And no, there are no mods that can get a TDM plugin running on a different platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-06-2020, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Ongoing woes with the Virus Indigo plugin

Before buying a tdm card, spend some time reading the manuals so you know what you need. You won’t be able to use it in conjunction with your mbox, tdm systems are more involved to set up. There are a lot of gotchas with getting a tdm system to run... you need the right computer, OS, pro tools version, interface, cables, etc... many of the needed ingredients are getting hard to find. Best way to get that virus plugin working would be to buy a working Tdm system with the computer, cards, cables, interface and software, but that isn’t easy to find. most people split up the hardware and part out their systems, and won’t have any of the installers needed to make the system run.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?