Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 PM
John_Toolbox's Avatar
John_Toolbox John_Toolbox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,332
Default New thunderbolt interface

Looks like Motu has made a thunderbolt version of the 828:

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828x

So far, this is the cheapest thunderbolt interface I'm aware of. Other than the thunderbolt connection, it appears to be identical to the 5+ year old 828mk3, so it probably doesn't sound as good as the other thunderbolt interfaces currently available, but it's still a lot of bang for the buck when you consider how many IO it has. I'm curious to see if it has improved latency when compared to it's predecessor (could not find specs on the site).
__________________
- John

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-22-2014, 01:35 PM
zolko zolko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Poland
Posts: 107
Default Re: New thunderbolt interface

Quote:
As Thunderbolt becomes more widely adopted, Hi-speed USB 2.0 provides across-the-board compatibility with virtually all laptops and desktops on both Mac and Windows.
Hmm... OK
Quote:
Since USB 2.0 devices are compatible with USB 3.0-equipped hosts, your 828x interface is a future-proof investment in your studio.
Hahaha - good joke!
Quote:
So what’s Intel to do? Offer a Thunderbolt PCIe expansion card in order to speed up adoption.
Intel’s plan for Thunderbolt PCIe cards has not been finalized, and the slides seen by VR-Zone showed a lot was left to be determined. What the slides did reveal was a structured outline to bring Thunderbolt to a larger PC audience, with help from ODMs, via PCIe.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/thunderb...ope/50677.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2014, 02:14 PM
dr_daw's Avatar
dr_daw dr_daw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cariboo, BC
Posts: 1,215
Default Re: New thunderbolt interface

Useless unless your machine has two T-bolt ports. What would possess a company to NOT put a second T-bolt port for daisy chaining? If you want to run another monitor, or T-bolt drives you'd be hooped.
__________________
FBR recording - https://www.facebook.com/fromthebase...cordsrecording
@FBRrecording - Instagram
Rig
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2018.10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Barry Johns Barry Johns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,567
Default Re: New thunderbolt interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Useless unless your machine has two T-bolt ports. What would possess a company to NOT put a second T-bolt port for daisy chaining? If you want to run another monitor, or T-bolt drives you'd be hooped.
Because it's not true thunderbolt. All it is, is a built in thunderbolt to FW cable inside the box. It's still FireWire regardless of cable used.
__________________
HD Native Pcie, PTHD 11, PT12 Vanilla, Omni, Lynx Aurora 16, 192 I/O (16 in/8 out), 24 Fader D-Command, lots of preamps and compressors.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Emcha_audio's Avatar
Emcha_audio Emcha_audio is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal, canada
Posts: 6,362
Default Re: New thunderbolt interface

Meh lol PCI-SIG is already working on releasing a new small factor PCI format that will offer 32Gb/s through 4 pcie lanes and it is also optical and copper.

PCIe OCuLink

Since thunderbolt is so slow to adopt and that PCIe is far from being dead as some predicted, I'm sure we're going to see a far greater adoption of the PCie OCulink.
__________________
Manny.

#BOYCOTTTUSPRODUCTS

just not Pro tools and compatible plugins...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,410
Default Re: New thunderbolt interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Because it's not true thunderbolt. All it is, is a built in thunderbolt to FW cable inside the box. It's still FireWire regardless of cable used.
Yes, but they could still do a Thunderbolt passthrough if they had really wanted to. It would costs whoever is making this a few $ or so to use a higher end Thunderbolt chip to enable that. Now it's possible that Motu buys the whole adapter gizmo off somebody else so has to take it in this configuration.

---

The single Thunderbolt port on the Avid HD Navive box was an even more frustrating decision. Bad mistake Avid.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,410
Default Re: New thunderbolt interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Meh lol PCI-SIG is already working on releasing a new small factor PCI format that will offer 32Gb/s through 4 pcie lanes and it is also optical and copper.

PCIe OCuLink

Since thunderbolt is so slow to adopt and that PCIe is far from being dead as some predicted, I'm sure we're going to see a far greater adoption of the PCie OCulink.
I'm not sure who is supposed to have predicted the death of PCIe.

The real increase in PCIe usage happening now is likely with PCIe direct attache flash storage, and that is likely to continue in further with adoption of things like NVMe SSDs. One of the issues I have with the new Mac Pro, is with all the PCie bandwidth wasted on GPUs and Thunderbolt you can't get at the PCIe 3.0 lanes directly to use them on things like NVMe.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Emcha_audio's Avatar
Emcha_audio Emcha_audio is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal, canada
Posts: 6,362
Default Re: New thunderbolt interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'm not sure who is supposed to have predicted the death of PCIe.

The real increase in PCIe usage happening now is likely with PCIe direct attache flash storage, and that is likely to continue in further with adoption of things like NVMe SSDs. One of the issues I have with the new Mac Pro, is with all the PCie bandwidth wasted on GPUs and Thunderbolt you can't get at the PCIe 3.0 lanes directly to use them on things like NVMe.
Oh there were more than a few lightbulb fan boys that were predicting the death of PCie on many forums for the near future. I think I even saw an article last year about it.
__________________
Manny.

#BOYCOTTTUSPRODUCTS

just not Pro tools and compatible plugins...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,410
Default Re: New thunderbolt interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Oh there were more than a few lightbulb fan boys that were predicting the death of PCie on many forums for the near future. I think I even saw an article last year about it.
I must have filtered out their nonsense in real time
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Emcha_audio's Avatar
Emcha_audio Emcha_audio is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal, canada
Posts: 6,362
Default Re: New thunderbolt interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I must have filtered out their nonsense in real time
Hehe
__________________
Manny.

#BOYCOTTTUSPRODUCTS

just not Pro tools and compatible plugins...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motu thunderbolt interface (828x) Marcel Risberg General Discussion 1 03-17-2015 08:27 AM
Thunderbolt Interface chann48211 Getting Started 12 05-27-2014 07:46 AM
So what about new ThunderBolt interface and VENUE? digidesigner VENUE Live Sound Systems 6 02-18-2013 09:46 AM
HD native thunderbolt - without Interface ilulilu888 Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 1 09-26-2012 10:31 AM
HD Native Thunderbolt Interface M-ManLA General Discussion 16 09-10-2012 08:11 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com