Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-22-2009, 08:14 AM

Default Quantizing Question

Simply question for you guys. Is it easier to quantize midi or should I print the midi to audio tracks and go from there. It took me around the same time to do it either way but I was wondering if any of you gurus had any tips for doing this quicker. I have another 9 songs to go so just looking for some speed tips really. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Quantizing Question

I'm not sure I understand your question...

They are two different operations, really. Not a question of either/or. Quantizing lines your notes up to a grid (either the actual bar/beats grid or a user defined groove template).
Committing MIDI to audio is usually done to free up CPU resources - you won't need the virtual instrument anymore. Or else you use it to swap files with someone who doesn't have the same piece of midi gear or to archive a session.

Unless you are asking whether you should bus your midi to audio then use beat detective/elastic audio to line up the performance. In that case, quantize, definitely.

Naturally, if you are doing both; quantize, THEN commit it to audio.

Hope that got to what you were asking...
other people's music:
www.headphonomenon.com
Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM

timebandits answer didn't seem altogether clear to me, though he is right.

In paraphrase...

Time Compression to quanitize redered audio (elastic audio) can be very hazardous to your audio quality if you aren't careful.

TC/E leaves artifacts unless you have a really nice one, like Serato or something.

The process of editing audio to manually quantize, or to prepare audio to highlight and hit quanitze, is VERY time consuming until you develop methods and shortcuts. The whole point of working in MIDI is that you can edit easily until your heart's content. The inconsistencies of the original MIDI (latency / drift / panics) don't even exist in internal digital recording with soft synths so much that they shouldn't even be called midi. In fact to further that midi is the cable, midi is the language of communication that travels through the cable, which again, doesn't even exist in digital audio talking to soft synths. The only thing that remains from the 80's are the parameter names, since we have grown used to them.

All that means, it is MUCH MUCH easier and more beneficial to keep soft synths as Midi data and not printed audio unless, as the above poster said, you need to free up resources, or you are worried your settings aren't going to keep if say you are using a demo which won't save.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 01-24-2009, 01:28 PM

also, I should point out you have "real time quantizing" from the real time midi properties for each midi track. It should take you all of about 2 seconds to quantize any midi part, unless there are lots of rhythmic variation. In that case you can manually quantize as I mentioned in your other post or duplicate the midi track onto a second track and have a different setting for the one spot that isn't being quantized correctly with the real time quantize.