Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-01-2003, 02:02 PM

Default OMF Parsing errors

When I try to open an embedded OMF file using the Digitranlator feature in Pro Tools 5.3.1 for Windows (on Win 2k), I get an error that reads OMF Parsing errors occurred. When I look at the Log file it generates I see the following:

“A03<00:33:10;11-00:33:15;04>error reading component"an assertion occurred in "d:\code\vobs\AlturaPorts\Iop\OMF\OMF_Property.h", line 645";substituting fill”

It goes on and on through the time code of the whole project it looks like, but the error is the same for each time code number. D: is not even a valid drive on my system. When I open my project, all of the tracks I exported are there, but almost none of the audio is there. Two of the tracks contain all the audio they are suppose to, but the rest contain nothing. The regions list represents this as well. Also when I first open the OMF it goes looking for two none existent fade files that I end up just telling it to skip. These are fade files that I can’t even find on the system that exported the OMF. I exported the OMF from Incite Editor using their OMF export option and have posted to them as well. Any input or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

leo
Old 03-01-2003, 03:11 PM

Default Re: OMF Parsing errors

Is the embedded OMF larger than 2 gig? Or does it have video in it? If either, they are not supported. I know nothing about the app it came from, but it sounds like the possible culprit.

R
Old 03-02-2003, 10:19 AM

That's odd. Which application/version is creating the OMF file?
Old 03-02-2003, 11:24 AM

Rob – The file contains no video and is 761Mb.

Paul- Incite Editor 3.0 is creating the OMF file. Their website is http://www.inciteonline.com if that helps at all.

Thank for the replies.

leo
Old 03-02-2003, 11:30 PM

The error you describe means that an essential piece of data is missing from the OMF file. Can't tell exactly what from just the error message. But I'd guess that Incite Editor is not doing the OMF export correctly.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:29 AM

Paul,

Thanks for looking into this for me. I have the Incite Tech guys looking into it as well. I’m going to try to export an OMF file without the embedded audio and see if similar errors occur. I will post the findings here. Is there anyway to find out what piece of data the OMF file is missing?

Thanks again,

Leo
Old 03-03-2003, 01:04 PM

Tech support at Incite wants to know if Digitranslator 2.0 supports OMF version 2.2. I looked around and can’t find anything that specifically says that it does or doesn’t. All I could find was a line in the .pdf that says it supports OMF version 2 files. Does anyone know if it supports 2.2 files? Incite exports OMF 2.2 files.

Thanks

Leo
Old 03-03-2003, 02:24 PM

Hello. Usually I don't chime in to a thread if I don't have something useful or pertinent to add, but this time I feel compelled. I don't know if DigiTransaltor supports OMF 2.2 or what may be the problem here. But can I just say this?

AAF!!

Let me repeat.

AAF!!

Anyone know the latest? I sit and wait for the day...
Old 03-04-2003, 01:43 PM

Ok- So I exported a non-embedded version of the OMF file and tried to open that in Pro Tools, but it just goes looking for a nonexistent audio file called ????. If you tell it to skip this file it continues down the line endlessly calling all the files ????. If you tell it to skip all it opens the session with no audio as would be expected since it can’t find any of the nonexistent ???? audio files. It does however list all of the audio in the regions list. If you drag one out onto the timeline you get a region of nothing. I thought I’d post this since I said I would post the results of this export here.

Leo
Old 03-05-2003, 10:33 AM

There's really no such thing as "OMF 2.2" There's a version 2.2 of the OMF Toolkit which is probably what they're referring to. DigiTranslator supports OMFv2.

The "????" errors occur if DigiTranslator can't find information about the location of the audio files. You can tell the folks at Incite that DigiTranslator looks for "Net Locators." If they're using "Win Locators" then that may be the problem.