Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Cpu load balancing

Native Instruments is always a CPU hog.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:24 AM

yea, what did i just say about wrapping vst into aax
Old 10-29-2018, 12:33 PM

Waves AR plates chambers... any IR based verbs..any gtr sims..
ozone.. so so many
My comp is not the fastest anymore and yes darlings, I maxed the Ram..:}
Ive been doing this for almost 20 years ..[ugh]

the thing that gets me is- Ableton,.. w the same fing machine can handle this prettty easily.. with a few omnisperes going.

i like PT.. obviously
But they can NEVER get the cpu thing dialled.. its a knife edge that you have to always watch.. the thing spikes for no reason.. then just flashes red..
cksker thing that it is!
then I look at the workspace and that lil Bitch is still " Indexing" f off!!! its fing INDEXed already x1000!! cut it the F out! Cpu sucker! Lol

Yes Ive had some good versions w TDM and maybe HD for a sec
But the new features are workflow god sends..

I just have to commit commit... the prob is cant really commit the Revs till print
blah blah
is what it is...
just a bitch for no good reason.. when other DAWS have a little better cpu mgmt

then dont get me started on the HD "reinstatement BS"... really ? really? after what we did to Bulid the brand as TDM pay2x more for everything chumps?? fff

PT 2019.5, macpro 12 core trashcan 64 gigram, MBP i7 9,1 16gig ram OS 10.12.3.. TB UA Apollo16 SSD's [samsung],
Old 10-29-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
Waves AR plates chambers... any IR based verbs..any gtr sims..
ozone.. so so many
My comp is not the fastest anymore and yes darlings, I maxed the Ram..:}
Ive been doing this for almost 20 years ..[ugh]

the thing that gets me is- Ableton,.. w the same fing machine can handle this prettty easily.. with a few omnisperes going.

i like PT.. obviously
But they can NEVER get the cpu thing dialled.. its a knife edge that you have to always watch.. the thing spikes for no reason.. then just flashes red..
cksker thing that it is!
then I look at the workspace and that lil Bitch is still " Indexing" f off!!! its fing INDEXed already x1000!! cut it the F out! Cpu sucker! Lol

Yes Ive had some good versions w TDM and maybe HD for a sec
But the new features are workflow god sends..

I just have to commit commit... the prob is cant really commit the Revs till print
blah blah
is what it is...
just a bitch for no good reason.. when other DAWS have a little better cpu mgmt

then dont get me started on the HD "reinstatement BS"... really ? really? after what we did to Bulid the brand as TDM pay2x more for everything chumps?? fff
I agree. While PT can be workable with a ridiculously powerful system, other DAWs can manage CPU load much better.

In PT the lowest buffer I can run with almost perfect reliability is 256 samples. Two problems there. 1. Almost perfect reliability. There is an occasional spike for no reason that forces me to switch buffers, and then switch back to get rid of noise and pops. 2. 256 samples is too much latency to track while monitoring through plugins.

In Studio One I get absolutely perfect reliability with a 16 sample buffer. No pops, no clicks, no spikes, no noticeable latency. Just a reliable system that's a joy to track with.

For years I thought it was my USB Mbox 3 Mini to blame. But when I upgraded to Presonus Quantum 2 Thunderbolt, nothing changed. Pro Tools just does not manage CPU usage very well.

I still love PT for editing and mixing. I set the buffer to 1024, and all is good. I just can't trust it for tracking.
- PreSonus Quantum 2
- PreSonus Studio 24c
- MBox 3 Mini
- Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Behringer X32 Producer
- PT 2018.12 (vanilla)
- Various USB2/3 and Firewire hard drives
Old 10-30-2018, 12:09 AM

Imo for tracking you really need a topline mac and hdx with avid interfaces. Then it is seamless. Doesn't matter what buffer you run. Even on large buffers the cues are perfect. I have 16 outputs from a 192 io for cues. It always works.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Imo for tracking you really need a topline mac and hdx with avid interfaces. Then it is seamless. Doesn't matter what buffer you run. Even on large buffers the cues are perfect. I have 16 outputs from a 192 io for cues. It always works.
That's all very nice, but HDX won't help a situation where a badly behaved host CPU based VI like is seemingly happening here is causing problems.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:13 AM

Since I know it’s an avid issue and I’m not going to battle the internet, I went ahead and invested in Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Created a server, did all the routing, and now **** is working. A daunting task but I have to work. So that’s the positive ending to such a tragic issue.

Love. - Trakz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killah_trakz View Post
Since I know it’s an avid issue and I’m not going to battle the internet, I went ahead and invested in Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Created a server, did all the routing, and now **** is working. A daunting task but I have to work. So that’s the positive ending to such a tragic issue.

Love. - Trakz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah. I should of mentioned this to you. I always use vepro. Since protools 9. That is when the CPU stuff went nuts.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Oh yeah. I should of mentioned this to you. I always use vepro. Since protools 9. That is when the CPU stuff went nuts.
Bottom line. We shouldn't have to even do this at this point! There shouldn't be workarounds for the "Industry standard PRO Daw" Computers have plenty of juice now and other daws are smoking protools for VI's and Midi. The majority of post is AVID. The buffer issue and 90XX errors are a major issue that has been around for years. No new features until this is fixed should be at the top of the list. Look at all the posts over the last 4 years..... Unbelievable.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) 32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core
Old 10-30-2018, 10:44 AM

Strange... with other Daws i can play sessions in loop for a unlimited time without problems. In Protools Ultimate i get in the first run always a 9*** Error. After that, the playback works... in 10.13.6, i cannot use audio tracks for heat with input monitoring. I get always a 9173 Error. I hope Avid works on this Errors and i hope Avid opens up Heat for Instrument and Aux Tracks... As i said before in Logic Pro or Cubase, there no problems with playing back heavy VI and Audio Sessions.... Only Protools quit playback with an typical Error...