Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2018, 02:13 AM

Default Re: PT 2018.1 "video engine unable to stop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb View Post
It is mind boggling that this has not been fixed in 2018.1.
Actually, that a major bug like this makes a release at all is mind boggling.
I can only conclude they don't properly test their own software.
There is no other conclusion I can draw.

AVID!! FIX IT!!! People are trying to work here!
I have only had this error very occasionally and never with PT HD 2018.1 (which I installed the day it came out).

I use Pro Tools every day for work.

PT HD 2018.1 is extremely stable for me.

I do post production and use multiple videos in a session (typically approx. 5-25), usually between 20 and 100 plugins (but only a few VI's like Kontakt, Reaktor or UVI Workstation) and regularly get up around 250 audio tracks.

I tried to induce the error (making small selections, scrubbing, stop and starting etc.) but couldn't make it happen.

I'm happy to try any tests anyone thinks might help me reproduce the issue.

I'm sorry for all of you who have to deal with this issue, but I also have some sympathy for Avid who like me no doubt also have trouble reproducing this error, or they would have fixed it by now.

I'm posting just in case my specs below can help someone.

I also only play sessions off internal drives and have 4 separate internal drives for the OS, PT sessions, sound library and video files.

I only ever use Pro Res 422 codec (LT or Proxy) at 1920x1080. If I'm delivered another codec I always convert it with Compressor.

Going back to some of the early versions of PT HD 12, I used to have an problem where the CPU usage would hit 100% and stay there when Pro Tools launched, which would cause all sorts of problems including AVE errors.

Restarting Pro Tools (sometimes several times) would fix the problem and CPU usage would go back to normal.

It was possibly a rogue plugin but I never tracked down the culprit.

Because of that I always have the Pro Tools CPU usage meter open by default so that I catch it on start up if it happens (although things seem good now).

Maybe you could try that to help troubleshoot?

It would drive me crazy if I had a serious showstopping bug to deal with so I'm really frustrated for all of you who are suffering!

I hope it gets sorted out soon!
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:10 AM

We are about to update all of our Pro Tools systems to PT 2018 Ultimate (currently on 12.5). Lack of a fix for Video Engine issues such as this could be a game breaker. Is there any update on a handling? I don't see it as worthwhile to change over to Windows 10 and PT 2018 with this plague unresolved. I'd appreciate a response from Avid on this. Best, Nick Cancilla at Golden Era Productions
Old 07-27-2018, 04:11 PM

Dear Will, Thanks for posting this. Is there any new news on a handling? We are considering updating from PT 12.5 HD to 2018. One of our main bugs is the video engine, and seeing no accolades that Avid has handled the issues in 2018 puts a big question mark on this update. Software costs for updating to PT2018 Ultimate and Windows 10 are considerable. I see no very recent posts on this and was wondering if there is a fix. Any reply from Avid would be very appreciated. Best, Nick, Golden Era Productions
Old 07-28-2018, 12:13 AM

I used to get this quite frequently. I'm not sure what combination of things changed it, but this year changed to a new W10 rig and have bounced between 2018.3 and now 2018.4 versions, and on 2018.4 haven't seen it in a while.

Sometimes when this happened I was effectively locked out of the whole app, but here's a tip if that happens to you with this bug. The one thing that works is closing the entire PT app from the top RHS X, then when the "are you sure" dialog appears you get control back, and can cancel. Some stuff doesn't quite work properly after one of these, such as mouse wheel control, but it tends to come back in a short while. All very weird.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 08-01-2018, 08:00 AM

I used to have this problem. Then it stopped. Now on 2018.7 and it's back! AVID?
Old 04-07-2019, 01:48 PM

I am also having this problem.