Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-24-2003, 04:19 AM

Default PT6.0.1 DigiBase CLIPNAMES

According to the DigiBase Guide, on page 28, the Clipname displays the name of a file, or the Avid clipname when the selected item is an OMF file.

I have a Protools session that came from an OMF Export (from Avid Film Composer) that was run through DigiTranslator. I also have all the adjoing sound files from the Avid session and all soundfiles relinked fine into that session.

The audio filenames all end in .omf and I am able to audition them fine from Digibase. The Avid assistant went through the tedious task of naming every audioclip's CLIPNAME with the appropriate Scene/Take#.
I can see the Avid clipnames in the REGION LIST, but my problem is that DigiBase does NOT show the correct Avid CLIPNAME in the CLIPNAME column.

Anyone know why?

It is vital to me to be able to read those clipnames from within DigiBase, as it will make the search for alternate takes SO much easier.

Thanks in advance

Riz
Old 05-24-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Re: PT6.0.1 DigiBase CLIPNAMES

You need the DigiTranslator 2.0 option to enable this behavior.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:36 PM

I do.

I have Digitranslator 2.0 installed and functioning with PT 6.0.1. That's how I did the OMF Export to Protools translation. That part worked great.

The problem is the DigiBase Browswer in Protools 6.0.1 still does not display an OMFI SDII soundfile's CLIPNAME from that OMFI's metadata.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:34 PM

The problem you are seeing is probably because you are using a composition OMF, with referenced files.

I suspect that Digibase is only reading the embedded OMF information in the soundfiles, which is what was available when the file was originally CREATED.

Your assistant typed all the new stuff into the avid BIN, and this information is not written into the soundfiles as such, unless you re-create all the media during an export from the Avid.

To do this workflow properly you need to get MetaFlow, which directly reads the Avid BIN *and* the files, to get the complete picture of all the Metadata, right up to date, in a Pro-Tools linked external database which a superset of what you see in digibase.

http://www.metaflow.info

Its US $1995, I am afraid, but it does a great numbder of other very important things for serious metadata workflow.

Mark Gilbert.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:03 AM

Ah. Didn't read the post carefully enough. Mark is right.

Another thing that might work is having the Avid editor consolidate the media when exporting. I believe that information from the bin will get written into the media in this case. But I'm not 100% certain so a dry run would be in order.

One last thing: I strongly recommend moving away from SDII as your interchange audio file format.