Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-24-2003, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Digibase

After cataloging my samples drive (80Gb) I then had digibase build waveforms for all the samples on it.
I kept getting 'Not enough memory' boxes (G4 1Ghz DP 1.5Gb Ram PT 6.01) that halted the process until clicking them away.
I also found PT will just quit if I try to create waveforms on Wavs.
It also won't play or show waveforms for many mono 16bit/44.1 aif files, even though it recognises them as such in all the info columns, except 'kind' which it shows as 'unknown'. These files will all load and play in any audio editor, and their creator icons are displayed correctly.
Anyone else see this?
Old 04-26-2003, 04:12 PM

stormtrooperpez, sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this issue. To tell you the truth I'm a little mystified. I've played around with our internal 100BaseT network and don't see anything like the performance that you're describing.

The only things I can think of are that 1) your file server is a very slow machine 2) you're not really getting 100BaseT speeds out of your network for some reason (misconfigured network card e.g.)

I would love to know if any other folks are seeing similar problems.

Burt and Natural Sound, I checked with our main QA guy for DigiBase and asked him about the D&D from a CD-ROM problem. He hasn't seen it (nor have I.) I don't know what's going on but if you haven't tried it, lots of people have suggested starting with a clean OSX install.

Vinylizor, sounds like you have a *lot* of files on your sample drive. I suggest that you try dividing your SFX library into several catalogs. You'll get much better performance out of the system if you try to keep the number of items in a single database to around 20,000. (This isn't a precise number. CPU speed and memory have a lot to do with the performance you see.)

wrt to the problem you're seeing with various wav and aif files, I can tell you that the DigiBase code for handling these files is pretty much exactly the same code that handles import of these files through the Import and Convert dialog. So if you have a problem with a particular file you should see if it will come in through the import and convert dialog.
Old 04-26-2003, 05:32 PM

"Also the Import Audio will now work to import audio from CD's- Used to have to use Import Audio From Other Movie -"

just tried this - yes it works, however drag n drop from Workspace Browser is better cos it does it as a background task and you can carry on doing other stuff unlike Import Audio...

"Burt and Natural Sound, I checked with our main QA guy for DigiBase and asked him about the D&D from a CD-ROM problem. He hasn't seen it (nor have I.) I don't know what's going on but if you haven't tried it, lots of people have suggested starting with a clean OSX install."

Well - it only hung once - and that was when I drag n dropped whilst I was in record mode on 1 of the audio tracks... the 888 crackled and the screen froze except for the spinning beach ball. I've drag n dropped about 20 audio files from CD-ROM into audio tracks in a session today with no problems whatsoever.

I may still do a fresh OS X install however as I got another kernel panic today - thats at least 1 but no more than 3 per day for 3 days now.

"Sounds like Digibase is something similar to what Ableton Live has... If so, then that'd change the way I use PT, too... Does anyone use Live? Is Digibase the same thing? I haven't used PT6 yet."

I guess it is similar to the way you drop files into Live - I use Live for DJing, get the warp markers in place properly and concentrate on Live improvisations, adding your own loops, on the fly odd-bar looping, plug-in madness instead of just cueing the next track

Burt
Old 04-27-2003, 03:37 PM

I set up a 1000 BaseT network the switch was a lot money but it very fast.