Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-03-2003, 04:11 PM

Default Digibase REALLY slow!!!!

I'm desperate to find an answer to this problem. Why is Digibase so slow with my network SFX drives? (100 Base-T)

I just checked it with a stopwatch: 54 seconds just to OPEN a folder! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

In the Finder, these drives behave almost as fast as local drives in terms of opening folders and scrolling, but in Digibase simple operations are completely lethargic. I've tried indexing the drives in advance, I've repaired permissions, nothing helps to speed things up!

I'm hoping it's something in my system setup, but I don't know where to look...

Can somebody help?

dual 800 G4, 1.25 GB RAM, OSX 10.2.4, PT 6.0.1
Old 04-03-2003, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Digibase REALLY slow!!!!

I'd like to know if others are seeing this kind of behavior. I worked with the application on a 100 Base-T network for months and never saw anything like this.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:20 AM

Hi Paul,

If I am the only person who is experiencing this problem, then obviously it must be something in my own system setup. Any ideas about where to start looking?
Old 04-04-2003, 11:11 AM

For what it's worth, Digibase is the source of most of my Force Quits of PT. i've got sfx on a Gigabit Network drive, and while they open fairly quickly, they often take a few moments to get all the files listed..

Dragging files from the DigiBase window to the edit window often causes a PT crash. The funny thing is, when I get it up and running agin, the files have been copied to the local drive, and and S/R and/or bit depth changes have been applied.. but the files just don't get imported into the session.

At first I thought it was just some kind of network problem, but I NEVER have the problem when I manually use the 'import' command from the files/reigons bin.

However, for the most part, DigiBase is a HUGE step forward.... I can stand the minor bugs now, 'cause I can see now the potential for this feature.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Talbot:
...for the most part, DigiBase is a HUGE step forward.... I can stand the minor bugs now, 'cause I can see now the potential for this feature.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree, it's not perfect, but it has allowed me to streamline my workflow. I work with three other musicians, one uses Reason to create loops, two uses Nuendo to do sample edits and edit live instruments, and I use PT 6 for editing and mixing. DigiBase has allowed me to integrate their contributions seconds after they upload it on the network.

If it works this well on it's first run, I can only imagine how powerful it will become after a few bug fixes.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:10 PM

Well, I decided I had nothing to lose by doing a complete erase and reinstall of my OSX partition. Lo and behold, a huge speed increase with Digibase and network drives. It appears to have had something to do with having OS9 and OSX installed on the same partition. I don't anymore, and the problem is gone. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2003, 05:28 PM

Okay, I take it back. Things are improved, but still slow. It seems like Digibase is re-indexing every folder that I open, which takes a certain amount of time, up to about 10 seconds. Can this be turned off? I don't need to synchronize my index with the drive data every time I open a folder. The SFX drive data (sound libraries) don't change on a day to day basis.

Occasionally I'll get the spinning beach ball for longer periods, especially when I'm moving the window's vertical scroll bar - it takes forever to update the list.

Also, when I'm calculating waveforms, I get a 'you do not have the necessary access privileges (-5000)' error on certain files. The strange thing is that the errors happen within folders where the rest of the file waveforms are calculated with no trouble.

Any ideas? Are these just first version bugs?
Old 04-05-2003, 11:11 AM

stormtrooperpez, the -5000 error makes me wonder do you ever run as "root?"

wrt the resynchronization, are you saying that you see a "Synchronizing xxx" in the task manager window whenever you open a folder? Is this what's taking so long? Or are you seeing a "Listing xxx" in the task window?

I do think we need to work a little on the logic for resynchronizing folders. The first version is very conservative and *always* checks to see if there are changes when a folder is opened(unless the volume is locked.) We were really trying to minimize the number of cases where a change in the file system would not be reflected in the browser since we expect a lot of people will continue to use the Finder for a some of their file management work.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:16 PM

Hi Paul,

No, I've never enabled the root user. Are you suggesting that I log in as root prior to doing my indexing or calculating waveforms? Should I always run as root when using PT?

Like you said, I see 'synchronizing xxx' whenever I open a folder, and I think because there are so many individual files in each folder (each folder represents a library SFX CD) it take a while to complete. I also see the 'listing xxx' message.

Perhaps an option that allows you to only index manually on a drive by drive basis, or automatically by a predetermined schedule would be a good idea. As for our networked SFX drives, their contents almost never change, unless a new CD is added, in which case I would know about it; therefore, index synchronization each time I open a folder is overkill.

Thanks

AB