Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Default Video - Bobby Lombardi, Audio Product Strategist for Avid Audio at NAB 2010

Promises for stable software and that they're listening. Stability, stability, stability is what you're going to hear alot of and audio integration with media composer.

Video:

and Max Gutnik regarding the acquisition of Euphonix...

Old 04-17-2010, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Video - Bobby Lombardi, Audio Product Strategist for Avid Audio at NAB 2010

Just watched these, but Avid was NOT able to restore confidence for me.
There is too much marketing talk there! I want to see action, after years of listening.
They have not reached one of their major points, stability. Well at least, they have recognized that this is one of their major issues.
For me, the most stable release was 7.3! Period. All subsequent releases added more instability.

I hope something is coming soon to restore my confidence in them. For now I hold off any investment in Avid products; when schools come for advice, I advice not to get PT at the moment.

For myself, I rather put my money into good outboard or software that is not RTAS only.

They just put RTAS into Media Composer ......so much for openness.

Avid is reapering what they sowed, so better put some new seeds in.
I would like to stay with PT!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Video - Bobby Lombardi, Audio Product Strategist for Avid Audio at NAB 2010

I hope that we will see these positive changes soon.
Although I have a pretty rock solid 8.0.3 rig, so no complaints here really.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

It didn't sound like much of anything, just promising on openness and listening to customers; One thing is obvious; nothing is coming in the way of bug fixes or feature requests anytime soon....
Old 04-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTheone View Post
nothing is coming in the way of bug fixes or feature requests anytime soon....
I don't think that's the case.. They are always working on bug fixes, and even new features (small ones).. 8.0.3 was a combination of both for example.. And there have been 2 cs updates to address additional bugs since then.. v8 has been out for a long time now and they are certainly due for 8.1..

But what we're not seeing is anything new. I don't think they've done anything new since releasing v8. I think that's almost 1.5 yrs ago.. Seems like forever
Old 04-19-2010, 12:52 AM

Oh, come on guys. What did you hoped for?
Do you seriously waited that on the nab floor Bobby Lombardi will read a paper and tell us all of the company's plans, future release dates, etc.
Erhh, of course not.
I don't know why so many so negative about avid. At least give these guys some time to come up with someting. We'll see. But moan before we know?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Oh, come on guys. What did you hoped for?
Do you seriously waited that on the nab floor Bobby Lombardi will read a paper and tell us all of the company's plans, future release dates, etc.
Erhh, of course not.
I don't know why so many so negative about avid. At least give these guys some time to come up with someting. We'll see. But moan before we know?
Wow, I have some bridges to sell a few of you.

It just sounded like gibberish; like when someone says a little of this and a little of that and not really saying anything.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM

speaking of videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4CJX9E6xU

http://multimedia.boston.com/m/26728...ogy-part-2.htm

http://www.necn.com/Boston/Business/...254790683.html

It is readily apparent, video is Avid's business. Audio is just a support/draw for that.

Say goodbye to Pro Tools and hello to Media Composer/protools hybrid (Media Tools for lack of a better word).

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 AM

In his defense, Gary Greenfield had a VERY tough road ahead of him when coming to Avid. The previous CEO basically ran the AVID into the ground and then jumped ship.

Gary was brought in to turn the company around and make it successful again. He is a very brilliant guy. Honestly, any of us thrust into his situation probably would have done the same thing.

AVID was losing money as its subsidiary companies were making money. Because of the structure of the company, if any one branch failed AVID could cut it off and move on. But if AVID, the "mother ship" failed, all the companies under its umbrella would have to be liquidated (including digidesign). So there was really only one choice... save avid at the expense of the other companies.

Also, when looking at AVID objectively... you see a company that owns many different sectors of media production. It was a leader in video production, it is a leader in audio production, it has hardware technologies that do really well (saleswise)... Yet they are all disjointed. Nobody talks to each other, and interoperability is very minimal.

Wouldn't it be nice if AVID could consolidate its resources and take everything "good" from its subsidiaries and roll that back into Media Composer to make it successful again!?!

RTAS and Stereo tracks in media composer is just the beginning. You are going to see a lot more audio features in Media composer in the coming years... some new video features in PT for the time being until they can merge PT into media composer.

That's my prediction anyway.

Who knows... maybe it's a good thing. As long as they keep the HD system/idea going with dedicated hardware for audio DSP I'll stay on board.

I just wish they started making this transition a year or so later than they did. Making the move when they did has pretty much left PT8 with a lot of inconsistencies. I'm sure they'll get fixed... but with 300 fewer digi developers working on Protools than a year ago (yes they are outsourcing now, which helps offset that number, but it's not like someone can just sit down and start to fix bugs. It takes a while to get acclimated to the source code you are working on)... it isn't going to get fixed as fast as we are used to.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
It is readily apparent, video is Avid's business. Audio is just a support/draw for that.

Say goodbye to Pro Tools and hello to Media Composer/protools hybrid (Media Tools for lack of a better word).
I guess that's been my gut feeling for over a year now.. No matter what gets done it will always be relegated to the status of kid-brother from now on.

If they buy enough stuff, they will try to push things in that direction.. in the end it may be enough to let go of stand-alone audio altogether..

Whereas there would be a hue and cry to have them just drop Digidesign ProTools, in a few years will anyone be concerned about the fading away of Avid Audio?

Might be a little extreme, but I'm a bit concerned by Lombardi's "cloud" comment. I won't speak for others but I don't see how cloud computing would be beneficial to professional audio recording, exept in transferring files perhaps.

Who knows though... maybe some day that's how folks will record.

Then again, Maybe I just read too much into all of this..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!