How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2017, 01:35 PM

Default Pro Tools 11 & 10 don't see my iLok 2

Hi,
I use Pro Tools once in a while. Today my ProTools 11 install would not launch because it can not find my iLok.

I have a Pro Tools license on the iLok as well as many other licenses. All my other applications see the iLok and the various iLok licenses are working normally.

My DAW is offline with no internet connection. I run a Win 7 pro x64 OS and haven't had any updates since commissioning the DAW. I have been using the iLok License Manager v3.0.1.1373 as it seems to be the most recent version that will run on my Win7 install.

Any suggestions for getting Pro Tools to launch?

Thank you.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 & 10 don't see my iLok 2

I don't know if that is the most recent ILM s/w but the latest versions are supposed to run on Win7 32 & 64 bit. There was a brouhaha a couple of weeks back about iLok not sending out a warning email about having to update because some s/w wouldn't run/activate.

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:46 PM

Hi Jack,
Thanks for the reply.

Early this year the updates starting requiring that Win 7 have certain OS updates applied, so I have been using the last iLok License Manager that did not require that I update my offline DAW with a Windows update.

I had heard something about a recent update to iLM late in the summer that worked with Win7 but I didn't understand if that meant that it worked without the previously required updates or if the discussion was about Win7 capability versus no Win7 capability at all.

The thing that has me most curious is the concern that my Pro Tools license may have had some sort of timing feature. It worked great, and then with zero changes to the DAW it stopped working.

All my other DAW software sees the iLok and the licensing and the system lets me use my iLok licensed efx.

The problem seems exclusive to Pro Tools.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Hi Jack,
Thanks for the reply.

Early this year the updates starting requiring that Win 7 have certain OS updates applied, so I have been using the last iLok License Manager that did not require that I update my offline DAW with a Windows update.

I had heard something about a recent update to iLM late in the summer that worked with Win7 but I didn't understand if that meant that it worked without the previously required updates or if the discussion was about Win7 capability versus no Win7 capability at all.

The thing that has me most curious is the concern that my Pro Tools license may have had some sort of timing feature. It worked great, and then with zero changes to the DAW it stopped working.

All my other DAW software sees the iLok and the licensing and the system lets me use my iLok licensed efx.

The problem seems exclusive to Pro Tools.
The problem is not just with PT but other programs/plugins as well. Been mentioned here in quite a few threads. There was never a conclusive answer as to exactly how this happened; a lot of speculation but nothing definitive.

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:15 PM

I don't know what updates for Windows 7 you are referring to (got a link to that exact info?) , but you are dead in the water,... so if you can find that info in cold hard facts on iLok.com's support site then install those updates. There is nothing in current ILM release notes that I can see.

Then uninstall and reinstall the very latest ILM and Trash Pro Tools prefs. (both are pretty standard troubleshooting step you should have gotten to yourself).

Still not working?

What *exact* Pro Tools error message are you getting?

My next step would likely be reinstall Pro Tools.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 AM

FWIW, This is one of numerous articles about the iLM Win7 updates issue:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...rror-Windows-7

"Beginning with Version 3.1.3 of License Support (which includes the iLok License Manager application and the drivers and services required to authorize iLok-protected software) Windows 7 must have specific updates..."

The DAW is offline so installing a huge Windows update is not something I am particularly interested in doing.

ProTools has been working fine without any updates. I don't need an updated iLok license manager for any of my other iLok licensed software. They work fine.

Pro Tools simply flashes a dialog that says it needs an updated iLok manager and that it can not find my iLok, which the iLM can see and which all my other software sees.

That's why I wondering if there was some sort of time bomb in my ProTools install. Nothing has changed regarding the ProTools install in several years. I don't update or add software very often.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
FWIW, This is one of numerous articles about the iLM Win7 updates issue:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...rror-Windows-7

"Beginning with Version 3.1.3 of License Support (which includes the iLok License Manager application and the drivers and services required to authorize iLok-protected software) Windows 7 must have specific updates..."

The DAW is offline so installing a huge Windows update is not something I am particularly interested in doing.

ProTools has been working fine without any updates. I don't need an updated iLok license manager for any of my other iLok licensed software. They work fine.

Pro Tools simply flashes a dialog that says it needs an updated iLok manager and that it can not find my iLok, which the iLM can see and which all my other software sees.

That's why I wondering if there was some sort of time bomb in my ProTools install. Nothing has changed regarding the ProTools install in several years. I don't update or add software very often.
Which exact versions of PT10 and 11 do you have? You don't mention either one. And like I wrote this isn't a time bomb in just your PT install as others have had the same thing happen with not just PT but other plugins as well. Perhaps none of your other plugins have this issue.

QAPLA!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:24 AM

The error is telling you what you need to do, and you don’t want to do it. I am not sure what else you expect other users here to do for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2017, 11:50 AM

Hi Jack,
I have the final versions of PT 10 and PT 11 installed.

I can't launch them so it isn't so easy to look at the "about" and see what version number they are.

The iLM update that you are referring to is newer than the iLM version I am running.

The iLM version I am running did not hose my system the way the notorious early summer update did.

The iLM version and iLok I am running works perfectly with my other software. I have been working since 6:00 a.m. with another application and everything is fine.

I just need to figure out how to get Pro Tools working with everything as it was before yesterday.

Thank you.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Hi Jack,
I have the final versions of PT 10 and PT 11 installed.

I can't launch them so it isn't so easy to look at the "about" and see what version number they are.

The iLM update that you are referring to is newer than the iLM version I am running.

The iLM version I am running did not hose my system the way the notorious early summer update did.

The iLM version and iLok I am running works perfectly with my other software. I have been working since 6:00 a.m. with another application and everything is fine.

I just need to figure out how to get Pro Tools working with everything as it was before yesterday.

Thank you.
Did you even bother to read Darryl's post above? Like he said you've been given the answer on what you need to do. And again because other s/w doesn't have a problem with the ILM s/w you're using that doesn't mean PT won't/can't. Like I also wrote not every developer that uses iLok had/has this problem.

QAPLA!