Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 04-25-2017, 02:06 AM

Default Selecting only highest/lowest notes

Hello friends,

Maybe I didn't find this function yet, actually I guess it doesn't exist at all in Pro Tools. But maybe someone here knows more than me:

Sometimes I use only a piano-plugin to compose a piece for orchestra. So once I recorded the piano, I would like to arrange it into different tracks. I select only the highest notes for the first violins, only the lowest notes for cellos etc. Now I'm wondering if there is a short-cut or a faster way to select only the highest or only the lowest notes in one midi track. That would be helpful.
Cheers! Richard
Old 04-25-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Selecting only highest/lowest notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by richists View Post
Hello friends,

Maybe I didn't find this function yet, actually I guess it doesn't exist at all in Pro Tools. But maybe someone here knows more than me:

Sometimes I use only a piano-plugin to compose a piece for orchestra. So once I recorded the piano, I would like to arrange it into different tracks. I select only the highest notes for the first violins, only the lowest notes for cellos etc. Now I'm wondering if there is a short-cut or a faster way to select only the highest or only the lowest notes in one midi track. That would be helpful.
Cheers! Richard
Well, how fast it can be done depends on exactly what it is you've input. If everything is in chords, for example, you can right click on the MIDI clip, select split notes, and then select top (or bottom) note of each chord to split to a new MIDI track (you need to select that option on the split note screen). If there are some chords, some solo parts, and mixture, You can go to Note view in the MIDI clip, and use the vertical keyboard on the left side of the MIDI clip to select a note range and it will highlight those notes and then you can right click, select split notes again, and have the selected notes go to a separate MIDI track. Or, you can use the selector tool to highlight the exact notes you want to split out to a separate MIDI track. HOw fast this goes depends on what you have to work with.