Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2016, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

I even explored the idea of doing it as a free piece of software.

But Avid still said they could not guarantee they would not take legal action against me.

I agree with you ... It Sucks

Lizardpoint
Old 08-09-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
There's only two things I want in PT11/12. The 64 bit performance boost and offline bounce. Don't give a crap about the rest. Avid did themselves and their customers a great disservice with the choice to brick these controllers. I went 15 months on the support/upgrade plan, waste of money. I did not renew and I will go out of my way not to buy any new Avid products.
really sux...
Exactly. I agree. In fact, this entire fiasco has alienated me as a customer for any Avid products - either for myself or my clients. I never recommend Avid hardware to my clients these days. I always go out of my way to find an alternative manufacturer, which has actually worked out very well.

Avid's "thought process" that killing off an older control surface will cause a customer to buy a new one is fatally flawed.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 08-09-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:20 PM

If a driver was anonymously released to the masses, how would there be any legal repercussions? Its origins would be unknown. I think that person would be doing Avid a big favor.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:11 AM

Somebody hacked the entire Control24 protocol some five years ago and even got as far as developing a stable translation application so it could be used with Cubase (and other DAWs).

He explains his method and progress on this thread on the Reaper forum:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=38389

Apparently he received a legal threat from AVID and stopped all further communication about the project.

Looking at the timeline of the thread one can see that a single (very smart) person managed to do all this work within a few months. I would personally love the idea of a PC or Control24 translator as I have decided to eventulally move on from Pro Tools after nearly twenty years of it being my main platform. If I could use my Pro Control with another DAW I would immediately start the transitional process of learning another DAW - which I am estimating to take several months outside of my main studio work.

However, the approach outlined by Lizardpoint sounds like a very valid option as well. If the protocols of the PC/Control24 and C|24 are similar it may be relatively painless to do.

My personal point of view is that I would support anyone reverse-engineering the "Legacy" control surfaces. Be it to achieve compatibility beyond Pro Tools 10 or for use in non-AVID DAWs. I doubt AVID would (be able to) pursue individuals in court: If a group us us got together and created something for personal use how would they find out? Also, instructions or a piece of code can be shared anonymously.

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 08-31-2016, 04:49 AM

Default Vote it up!!

Can I suggest that everyone get over to http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...hment-tab=true and vote for a fix for this. It's hanging around in the top 40 ideas... c'mon, VOTE IT UP!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 08:57 PM

Default Beating a dead horse, I get it

I have to at lease ask this understanding it it most likely futile.

I was thinking, Avid is now charging a fee to use non Avid I/O to work with PTHD. Can we not have a similar fee for the ProControl and Control 24 to be able to remain working with PTHD 12 and beyond?

I would pay $500 for a driver that allows me to continue to use my ProControl! I would also pay to upgrade from 11HD to 12HD and stay on the annual fee.

Think about it, how long would they have to do this, these units are only going to last so long.

They have to be noticing that used D-Commands are now dropping in price big time, and I don't know anyone who would take an S3 over a D Command. So they are loosing that potential revenue stream.

If enough people did this would it not be a good revenue stream for Avid?

To quote a good friend:

"Recording in the Box, Requires Thinking Outside the Box"

Avid should apply that Philosophy...

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp

Last edited by Barry Johns; 09-27-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Beating a dead horse, I get it

I'll join Barry in beating that horse after sitting at an S6 for an hour, there's no way I would ever buy one. A used D-Command or D-Control is a consideration, but based on some internet conversations, it appears that Avid is more against supporting Pro Control and Control24, as opposed to saying it can't be done. I get that avid wants to sell lots of new hardware, but, speaking for myself only, the new stuff(S3 and S6) just don't fit my needs, while a Control 24 or Pro Control would. I know the horse is supposed to be dead, but I also know there are 3rd parties that would gladly tackle the code if they were sure they would not get sued........... Meanwhile, I will roll along with my artist boxes and a Presonus Faderport and get lots of work done

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-28-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
the new stuff(S3 and S6) just don't fit my needs, while a Control 24 or Pro Control would.
Pro Control truly was a beautiful control surface.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-28-2016, 03:25 PM

Default Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
and I don't know anyone who would take an S3 over a D Command.
Well there is myself-!!!! I looked extensively into a D command primarily because of its usability and dedicated control for EQ and dynamics, however after researching the features of the S3 and eucon I think the S3 is the right choice....

Mixing in VCA master mode.,...is the coolest thing ever....

Quote:
"Recording in the Box, Requires Thinking Outside the Box"
I think an S3 qualifies as outside the box...
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 10-31-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
snip . . . I would pay $500 for a driver that allows me to continue to use my ProControl! I would also pay to upgrade from 11HD to 12HD and stay on the annual fee....
Same here.