Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Default Mbox2 Buzzes, even after a lot of troubleshooting

Hey guys,
Using a Mbox2. Ever since I've gotten it, there's always been a "low" buzz. I don't mean in recordings, although it's there as well, but it's also there when I have nothing plugged into it that could record. I've tried multiple fixes, but nothing ever worked. Today's the day I'm determined to fix it.

OS - Win10

I troubleshooted by doing the following:
Removed all cabling from the mbox except: USB power cable.
I see this in the mbox control panel.
http://imgur.com/a/oJJpN
It exists even if I have the gain knobs at zero and volume at zero

So, I plug into my headphones to see if I can hear it... sure enough I can!

Now, this leads me to believe I can ELIMINATE acoustic humming (AC, fans, people farting) as well as any microphone/guitar issues, since I've got nothing plugged in except the power cable.

So I started looking for more information regarding electric humming.

First thing I did was find out about ground loops.
Well, my PC is plugged directly into the ground and the mbox into the PC directly via USB. I've tried USB 3.0, USB 2.0 and multiple ports, humming still occurs.

I checked for AC line noises, by making sure during a time I was the only one home that no devices with motors were running.

Then there's wiring noise, the XLR cables aren't tested, because I have them unplugged during troubleshooting. This leaves the only cable being the power cable plugging from mbox -> PC. I don't have a means to test a different cable at this time.

At this point I've exhausted my options. This humming of course gets bled into my recordings.

Please assist me in any way possible and do not hesitate to ask me for more information or questions.

Thanks.