Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 PM

Default Re: vocal booth causing vocals to sound very boxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
I like the C6
Me too. It is one of the reasons I still tolerate Waves. Another reason is Dorrough meters, and the number three being L3LL-Multi. Without those three, I wouldn't have a reason to use their products.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTor View Post
There are a lot of things I could think of to help. Unfortunately, the most significant one I can suggest would involve more cost and construction and that's to build a similar design but with two significant changes:
  1. bigger
  2. not square and with no 90° angles in the corners
  3. one more for extra credit: the floor and ceiling shouldn't be parallel.
If you're getting decent noise isolation but aren't happy with the "boxiness," I'm afraid that is the best approach for vocals. Parallel surfaces create reflections. We build some really quick-n-cheap booths for our second mix stage (and in the process made the corners of the mix stage better for mixing) by just drawing out some random, non-parallel walls with masking tape and telling a contractor to build walls on those lines. They were probably around 20 square feet inside, so a /little/ bigger than your 4x4 booth, but not a lot. I tuned them for commercial VO which is ideally recorded pretty (but not completely) dead, but they actually worked (much to my surprise) for ADR in a pinch, which usually demands a MUCH bigger space. (Still not as good as our current ADR stage which is about 120 square feet, and that's still considered small when clients ask for room dimensions--although they don't say it sounds small when they don't ask and only hear it. But I digress.)

If you're OK with recording totally "dead" vocals (i.e. with no natural room reverb at all), you could try some cheaper options first:
  1. the 4" thick foam option, mentioned by a few on this thread
  2. build bass traps for at least two of the corners
  3. use foam to create non-90° angles in the 4 corners

These are all good and correct ideas. Along the line of better wall quality treatments.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 AM

"boxy" usually means "walls" are too close to the source...
Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
"boxy" usually means "walls" are too close to the source...
Or wrongly built with cheap material that kills the tone too much.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalz2502 View Post
dont know if im off topic but i need help understanding something. im pretty sure most engineers would know the answer to this. for the past 10 or 15 years i been teaching my self how to record vocals. almost every music gear i dreamed of having i invested over the years to get them. the only problem i ran into was not having a vocal booth to deaden the vocals. so a few months ago i went on this site called dawbox.com. its a site that offers blueprints of there designs to build a professional vocal booth. i bought the blue print and spent over a thousand dollars on material and labor to get it built. after it was built i was amazed how it turned out to look exactly the same as the creators said it would look. the only problem is once i went inside and gave it a sound test it didnt sound exactly how i expected it to sound. it isolated a bunch of noise from the outside and gave me a dead sound but it sounded muffled and boxy. im not sure if a professional vocal booth is suppose to sound like that. considering paying hundreds of dollars to get that thing built, i wasnt pleased and felt like if im gonna be sweeping away frequency out of vocals every time i record i shouldnt of wasted my money on this vocal booth. these people are very successful and i havent heard any bad reviews. the vocal booth i built is 4x4x7. i have accoutic foam in every single crack on the inside, i just dont understand. any professional engineers out there that know all the right answers to this type of situation please comment. help me understand the science a little bit more. what am i missing, and what dont i know that i thought i knew
Different dimensions but I have had similar problems. I'm assuming you're talking feet and not metres. There is no way a room that small is going to sound good. It sounds boxy because it's.... a box. You have equal room modes in two dimensions and the third dimension is close enough to 8 feet to create a mass of coincident room modes.

This could be your friend:
https://www.seelectronics.com/rf-space/

I've had far too many post-session cocktails to work out what your standing waves are but I wouldn't be surprised if you simply don't have enough space to put enough trapping in to get rid of any problems.

Sorry I can't be more positive but these booths are designed to cut out spill, not sound good.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:01 PM

so your saying it'll be a waste of time to get the 4 inch foam?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 PM

Hi,
Foam doesn't do what you are after.
It's OK for taming some high frequency flutter, but your problem would have to be attacked with a different material; Rockwool, Roxul, etc.
Foam is pretty much decorative.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:51 AM

yes, use rockwool!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 AM

or even better as Rockwool is Basotect , with very interesting
capabilities , as seen here :
https://hofa-akustik.de/en/modules/measurements/

simple "foam" doesnt reduce the most problematic low-mid
and low frequencies in small rooms
Old 04-22-2017, 10:51 AM

Default vocal booth causing vocals to sound very boxy

basotect for fullrange absorbing needs to be pretty thick and that's expensive! mineral wool is very effective when you use the right density (look for 60kg/m3 = 0.5lb/gal (US)) but needs to be covered with fabric.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited by edwinstar; 04-22-2017 at 11:05 AM.