Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-08-2021, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Can't add audio to track

I vaguely remember I once had a similar issue on MacOS. Is it really any file? Any file type? Can you drag to the clip list and then to a track? Can you drag from the PT file browser? Can a third party app like Soundly spot to PT?
Old 01-09-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
This may or may not be contributing, but Pro Tools requires at least 16GB RAM. (32GB or more recommended)

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements
Good call, I didn't realize PT required 16 GB. It looks like I need to upgrade.

Quote:
What I meant was, are you getting just a place holder... And yes you can. I have a session where for some reason the tracks were accidentally not getting recorded to the session audio files folder and was sent somewhere else.

When I opened the session, I could see the tracks, even had all my edits and cross overs, but no visual representation of audio.

All I'm asking is it possible the audio file isn't the location you think it's in?
Yes, just the placeholder and no waveform. In this case I'm certain of file location. I've tried a bunch of files I can play with Windows Media Player but nothing in PT.

Quote:
W10 20H2 is not supported. Could your Windows been updated lately?
I updated not too long ago but PT has worked since I updated. I didn't realize it 20H2 wasn't supported, I guess updating was a mistake.

Quote:
I vaguely remember I once had a similar issue on MacOS. Is it really any file? Any file type? Can you drag to the clip list and then to a track? Can you drag from the PT file browser? Can a third party app like Soundly spot to PT?
I've tried from the clip list too, unfortunately there was no difference.

I guess the bottom line, for now, is to upgrade my RAM to at least 16 GB. Hopefully there's an update for PT to support 20H2.

Thank you, everyone!
Old 01-09-2021, 07:53 PM

I realize that the OP is on W10 20H2, so the 16GB RAM minimum may be an issue. The same requirement is also stated for Mac OS X, but I am able to run Protools on a spare machine with only 8GB RAM, including dragging and dropping wav or mp3 files into tracks. Although getting more RAM is highly recommended, I'm not 100% convinced that the limited RAM is the sole reason for this issue.

I know it is a pain, but I would try a clean install of the OS (a compatible version of Windows if possible) on a separate drive and then install Protools to test.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-10-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I realize that the OP is on W10 20H2, so the 16GB RAM minimum may be an issue. The same requirement is also stated for Mac OS X, but I am able to run Protools on a spare machine with only 8GB RAM, including dragging and dropping wav or mp3 files into tracks. Although getting more RAM is highly recommended, I'm not 100% convinced that the limited RAM is the sole reason for this issue.

I know it is a pain, but I would try a clean install of the OS (a compatible version of Windows if possible) on a separate drive and then install Protools to test.

Sure enough! I reloaded Windows 10 20H2 (I didn't have any option to go back) and everything is back to normal. Perhaps when creative cloud was uninstalled it wiped out a dependency that PT uses??

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-10-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerBoyd View Post
Sure enough! I reloaded Windows 10 20H2 (I didn't have any option to go back) and everything is back to normal. Perhaps when creative cloud was uninstalled it wiped out a dependency that PT uses??

Thanks for the help!
Glad we got it sorted.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-11-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerBoyd View Post

Thanks for the help!
Great news!

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com