Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack II or Expansion Pack II ?

I have not been following 11R news for a few months, but I get the feeling from recent threads that there is no news of anything major coming down the pipe for the 11R?

The perceived total lack of interest on Avids part has me thinking more and more seriously about saving up for an Axe II or Kemper. Is everyone else thinking the same thing
Old 10-20-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG View Post
The perceived total lack of interest on Avids part has me thinking more and more seriously about saving up for an Axe II or Kemper. Is everyone else thinking the same thing
Yes.
If you plan on buying an 11R i wouldn't do it. Go Kemper or Fractal instead.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, a big YES.
Kemper for my studio, Axe-FX II for live things (although I am situated with 2 11 R).

Did I mention a STAND ALONE EDITOR, did I?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:28 AM

Look, i too am sceptical about any further updates/upgrades for the 11R. I would kill for a standalone editor. But really, is it all that bad. I think, and I am including myself here, that we seem to lose sight of what bang we are getting for our buck. I remember I got a boss GT-6 when they first came out thinking oh my this is going to be the ducks nuts. In reality I settled for probably 5 to 10 different patches to get me from A to B. same with the 11r and I bet it's the same with axe and kemper. If, as we all are assuming, avid don't do anymore development, I would still be rather happy having a low budget fuel saving car rather than a Bugatti with more bells and whistles and gadgets and gizmos than I would ever want, use or need.

Lets face it, as a gigging and recording artist writing original music, the 11r will still give us the same sound on stage as we get in the studio. That in my book alone sets the 11r up for years of good solid use, with or without the support of a company who cares more about profit than the average punter.
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 10-21-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad383music View Post
Look, i too am sceptical about any further updates/upgrades for the 11R. I would kill for a standalone editor. But really, is it all that bad. I think, and I am including myself here, that we seem to lose sight of what bang we are getting for our buck. I remember I got a boss GT-6 when they first came out thinking oh my this is going to be the ducks nuts. In reality I settled for probably 5 to 10 different patches to get me from A to B. same with the 11r and I bet it's the same with axe and kemper. If, as we all are assuming, avid don't do anymore development, I would still be rather happy having a low budget fuel saving car rather than a Bugatti with more bells and whistles and gadgets and gizmos than I would ever want, use or need.

Lets face it, as a gigging and recording artist writing original music, the 11r will still give us the same sound on stage as we get in the studio. That in my book alone sets the 11r up for years of good solid use, with or without the support of a company who cares more about profit than the average punter.
I agree with many of you points and do love my 11R overal, but some of the things missing from the 11R I would not call bells and whistles, but basic requirements. The Mac drivers that were just upgraded to support Mountain Lion are still screwed up and require me to regularly reboot my Mac. The 11R is the only reason I ever need to reboot my Mac. Not having a stand alone editor means I will soon have to pay hundreds of dollars more to buy a new version of PT just to have a way to back up my presets (I don't use PT for anything else so this is very unlikely). No global EQ to make life easier for live players. etc. Many of the things missing don't seem like major undertakings to fix, but they have been requested and ignored for years. If Avid just fixed some of the little things that give me headaches I would be more inclined to stick around. Unfortunately that seems unlikely anymore, making other options much more attractive even though there prices are substantially higher.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 AM

Quote:
I agree with many of you points and do love my 11R overal, but some of the things missing from the 11R I would not call bells and whistles, but basic requirements. The Mac drivers that were just upgraded to support Mountain Lion are still screwed up and require me to regularly reboot my Mac. The 11R is the only reason I ever need to reboot my Mac. Not having a stand alone editor means I will soon have to pay hundreds of dollars more to buy a new version of PT just to have a way to back up my presets (I don't use PT for anything else so this is very unlikely). No global EQ to make life easier for live players. etc. Many of the things missing don't seem like major undertakings to fix, but they have been requested and ignored for years. If Avid just fixed some of the little things that give me headaches I would be more inclined to stick around. Unfortunately that seems unlikely anymore, making other options much more attractive even though there prices are substantially higher.
I run windows 7 and so far it runs great. Didn't know about the issues with mac.
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 AM

Either scenario would be great.

I still have faith in my 11 though and would love to see them come out with a II with hardware sufficient to run two models simultaneously.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:47 AM

Hope they will do it soon. ER is surely good stuff, but one release every 2 years is not enough. As we are in the wish list period for Christmas, I'd like them to add a level (mix) to the wah pedals. The ones which are in there are too aggressive and would need to be adjusted by a mix pot.
Merry Christmas !
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM

To be honest, I wanted one thing and one thing only from my Eleven - the ability to separate the amp and cab blocks. That would've allowed me to run into a guitar cab for on-stage monitoring and straight into the PA for FOH, while maintaining my post-amp effects.

Sure, it's a small thing, but it's important to me.

Add to that the fact that Avid apparently don't care about the single most requested feature (standalone editor), and that they charge for updates when none of their competitors do...I sold my second 11R (which had already been relegated to studio-only use) a few months back so I could buy a spare live amp, and I don't think I'll be buying another. In fact, it's pretty unlikely that I'll even consider an Eleven II if such a thing ever exists, because of Avid's whole approach.

I will, however, be looking at the Kemper and possibly a second hand Axe FX. Hell, even the POD HD's looking more tempting than an Eleven right now.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalscream View Post
To be honest, I wanted one thing and one thing only from my Eleven - the ability to separate the amp and cab blocks. That would've allowed me to run into a guitar cab for on-stage monitoring and straight into the PA for FOH, while maintaining my post-amp effects.

Sure, it's a small thing, but it's important to me.
*snip*

Hell, even the POD HD's looking more tempting than an Eleven right now.
I added that on onto ideascale, back when the Avid dudes were still consistently chatting with us. They agreed it was a good and easy way to route audio the way you described without redundant processing.

I also agree that the competitors are starting to look good in their operations and frequency of updates...but when you compare the raw tones, I think Eleven Rack still sounds the best out of anything in or below its price range.