Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Report you PT8 exp. here

NOT IMPRESSED.

1. Amplitube 2 doesn't work at all. UNUSABLE. I get constant -6086 errors within seconds of just playing through Amplitube. Not playing the session or recording. I know it's not Amplitube because it works fine standalone.

2. I get constant errors in general using nothing but the included PIs. I can't work for more than 5-10 minutes without an error. That means that half the time, the error occurs during a record take.

3. Now the smart tool is very counter-intuitive. I have to scroll down in the midi track to move a note. I understand that now nobody is allowed to complain about MIDI editing within the edit window because there is a MIDI editor, but the problem is, when I am playing a full session looking for errors, I'm in the edit window. Then I find a problem with the MIDI track, I open the MIDI editor, and I have to find the spot again. Aggravating.

4. Pre fader metering doesn't work when a track is record enabled. I think this has been a problem for a few releases though.

5. If I record a track, then move my cursor somewhere else in the session, then decide I didn't like the take and undo the record. I now have to manually reposition my cursor to where it was. It used to remember for me.

6. MIDI tracks default to region view, so even if I choose to use the edit window for MIDI editing, I have to change the view to Notes, and then scroll down for half an hour to get to my notes.

7. A session that had a drumkit that was doctored up in Beat Detective in a previous release takes about 20 minutes to load in PT8 (only the first time though).

8. Did I mention I can't work for more than 5-10 minutes without an error?

9. In the open session window, I can't use arrow keys to navigate to higher folders. Once I close a session, and bring up the open session dialog, I am put into the folder of the session I was just using, and the only way to move out is to go to the mouse and select a drop down menu. So now if I accidentally go one folder short, I have to do it again. Would be nice to just be able to move freely about my folders with arrow keys. It has always worked before. Not sure why they took that away from us.

10. This happened one time, and I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, but I was able to do it consitantly before I convicted to the bug and moved on. I recorded about 2 measures of a drum beat. Quantized it to 16th notes. One of the kicks didn't quantize to the grid, so I manually moved it to the grid. When I selected the note, another note was CREATED on the Hat note. So to recap, I grab a kick note, and a hat note was created. I undid it. Tried again. It happened again. I could tried it several more times, and it faithfully did it every time. Then I noticed I couldn't select the note that was "under" the new note that was created. I got frustrated and left the room and went to get lunch.

11. I can't guarantee this is a pro tools bug, but I've never had this happen to me before with my older versions... I recorded a full drum kit. I listened back, and there was about 1 second of audio in one of the OHs that was cutting out. I couldn't get this to happen again though.

12. I can't explain this one: I recorded a drum kit and mixed it (pan an PIs). I always mix Drummer's perspective, so Hat=left, Ride=right. I noticed that I was hearing audience perspective in the OHs only. Then I looked and notice the inputs were switched on the OHs. Figuring it was user error, I just fixed the problem (or so I thought). I moved OHR to above OHL and renamed the tracks accordingly, and re-panned them accordingly. I closed the session. reopened the session. WTF?? My drum panning switched back, but everything else stayed how I left it. Couldn't get this to happen again either.

13. After the first time I launched PT after a VERY clean install, PT froze while trying to open a session. I tried to force quit. Nothing. I hard restarted the computer. Now my finder is missing? I erase Databases and preferences and hard restart about 4 more times, and then my finder comes back. hmmm. Then PT seems to launch fine and open the session.

14. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I can't work for more than 5-10 minute without an error. Even with a session with only 1 instrument track with Xpand 2 on it, and 2 audio tracks with Vocal PI chains (EQ3, TL Aggro, send to Verb Aux with a D-verb).

I have to mention that I found all these thing s within about 4 hours of using PT8. I'm not sure how they got by to release.

Anyways, it's not ALL bad. I like the new UI as far as Aesthetics are concerned. But I do wonder what post houses will say about not being able to invert colors to reduce eye-strain when working in the dark.

I also like...um...

I really wanted to like this release. I had planned to sell my old G5 and get a fancy new Mac Pro and run PT8 on it. But now I will definitely be sticking to 7.4 on my G5 until they fix nearly all of those problems because those are all fundamental workflows for me. I may come back and list some more stuff as I remember them, but I think that's a good enough review for now.

Edit: BTW, this was all on a MacBook Pro 2.4Core Duo with 2Gigs of ram and a 002.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 PM

Default Mac Pro 10.5.6

Upon opening Pro Tools I was told that I didn't have authorization for the Moogerfooger plug-ins (v4 authorization is on my iLok). Weird. I opened and played some of my more complex mixes with no problems. Waves Renaissance Reverb v 5.9.7 works fine.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank1000 View Post
NOT IMPRESSED.

1. Amplitube 2 doesn't work at all. UNUSABLE. I get constant -6086 errors within seconds of just playing through Amplitube. Not playing the session or recording. I know it's not Amplitube because it works fine standalone.
Try reducing the number of CPU's in the Playback Engine.

Quote:
2. I get constant errors in general using nothing but the included PIs. I can't work for more than 5-10 minutes without an error. That means that half the time, the error occurs during a record take.
What are the error numbers?

Quote:
3. Now the smart tool is very counter-intuitive. I have to scroll down in the midi track to move a note. I understand that now nobody is allowed to complain about MIDI editing within the edit window because there is a MIDI editor, but the problem is, when I am playing a full session looking for errors, I'm in the edit window. Then I find a problem with the MIDI track, I open the MIDI editor, and I have to find the spot again. Aggravating.
You can link them. See the What's New guide for info on how to do that.

Quote:
4. Pre fader metering doesn't work when a track is record enabled. I think this has been a problem for a few releases though.
This is an issue we're aware of.

Quote:
5. If I record a track, then move my cursor somewhere else in the session, then decide I didn't like the take and undo the record. I now have to manually reposition my cursor to where it was. It used to remember for me.
Do you possibly have 'Timeline Insertion Follows Playback' enabled?

Quote:
6. MIDI tracks default to region view, so even if I choose to use the edit window for MIDI editing, I have to change the view to Notes, and then scroll down for half an hour to get to my notes.
I'll look into this. I don't have an answer for you right off hand.

Quote:
7. A session that had a drumkit that was doctored up in Beat Detective in a previous release takes about 20 minutes to load in PT8 (only the first time though).
Please see the READ ME for information on waveform overviews having to be recalculated.

Quote:
8. Did I mention I can't work for more than 5-10 minutes without an error?
You did, but you need to give us the error numbers and be specific about what you're doing when the errors occur. Are you sure all waveform overviews have finished being recalculated before working in the session?

Quote:
9. In the open session window, I can't use arrow keys to navigate to higher folders. Once I close a session, and bring up the open session dialog, I am put into the folder of the session I was just using, and the only way to move out is to go to the mouse and select a drop down menu. So now if I accidentally go one folder short, I have to do it again. Would be nice to just be able to move freely about my folders with arrow keys. It has always worked before. Not sure why they took that away from us.
This is another one I'll have to look into.

Quote:
10. This happened one time, and I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, but I was able to do it consitantly before I convicted to the bug and moved on. I recorded about 2 measures of a drum beat. Quantized it to 16th notes. One of the kicks didn't quantize to the grid, so I manually moved it to the grid. When I selected the note, another note was CREATED on the Hat note. So to recap, I grab a kick note, and a hat note was created. I undid it. Tried again. It happened again. I could tried it several more times, and it faithfully did it every time. Then I noticed I couldn't select the note that was "under" the new note that was created. I got frustrated and left the room and went to get lunch.
I'm pretty sure this is a known issue, also covered in the READ ME. I'll check again to be sure....

Quote:
11. I can't guarantee this is a pro tools bug, but I've never had this happen to me before with my older versions... I recorded a full drum kit. I listened back, and there was about 1 second of audio in one of the OHs that was cutting out. I couldn't get this to happen again though.
I don't know what to say - without reproducibility, it's difficult to determine what, if anything, is wrong.

Quote:
12. I can't explain this one: I recorded a drum kit and mixed it (pan an PIs). I always mix Drummer's perspective, so Hat=left, Ride=right. I noticed that I was hearing audience perspective in the OHs only. Then I looked and notice the inputs were switched on the OHs. Figuring it was user error, I just fixed the problem (or so I thought). I moved OHR to above OHL and renamed the tracks accordingly, and re-panned them accordingly. I closed the session. reopened the session. WTF?? My drum panning switched back, but everything else stayed how I left it. Couldn't get this to happen again either.
See previous reply.

Quote:
13. After the first time I launched PT after a VERY clean install, PT froze while trying to open a session. I tried to force quit. Nothing. I hard restarted the computer. Now my finder is missing? I erase Databases and preferences and hard restart about 4 more times, and then my finder comes back. hmmm. Then PT seems to launch fine and open the session.
Are you sure it wasn't recalculating waveform overviews?

Quote:
14. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I can't work for more than 5-10 minute without an error. Even with a session with only 1 instrument track with Xpand 2 on it, and 2 audio tracks with Vocal PI chains (EQ3, TL Aggro, send to Verb Aux with a D-verb).
Repeating the same thing over and over isn't going to help without details. You're wasting your and my time with this kind of thing. Please - give us something to work with! We want to help, but can't if all you say is 'I can't work for more than 5-10 minutes without an error'.

Quote:
I have to mention that I found all these thing s within about 4 hours of using PT8. I'm not sure how they got by to release.
Before we go making insinuations like that, let's see if we can't get more details from you about your system. Pro Tools 8 went through a rigorous beta testing and the beta testers gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up before we released it.

Please see the Help Us Help You and General Troubleshooting threads for details about what we need to know to assist you properly.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro 10.5.6

WOW...theres really THAT many issues???

I've downloaded PT 8 but I'm scared to install...

Anyone have a good experience with it?

Also does digi recommend an uninstall of your current PT before installing 8? If so, a clean uninstall or just a simple one?
(3)192/SYNC IO/CS HEDD192/Studer A27/Neve 48 Ch. VR console
Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 PM

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I started to notice this in Leopard specifically, I was able to fix the problem by using the command key along with the up arrow key, or whichever direction you are trying to go, I don't have PT8 yet (waiting for amnesty e-mail) so I don't know if this will fix it in your case, but I hope so...I love the arrow keys for opening sessions.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Avid

Default Re: Mac Pro 10.5.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo6675 View Post
WOW...theres really THAT many issues???
Until we get more info from the customer, I think this is isolated. Many of the problems he's reporting are user error. Some are completely unverified one off issues.

Quote:
Also does digi recommend an uninstall of your current PT before installing 8? If so, a clean uninstall or just a simple one?
What I recommend is either backing up your current system to another drive (so you have something to revert to should you encounter problems) then doing a clean uninstall of the current version before installing Pro Tools 8.

Ideally you would do a clean install of OS 10.5.5 on a separate drive and install Pro Tools 8 to that, rather than using your current drive. This allows you to dual-boot between them and, again, have something to revert to should you encounter problems.

More info in this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=233740
Old 12-17-2008, 12:51 PM

I got as far as the download window but all I'm getting is a blank window and nothing is happening. I'm sure the server is slammed... is this happening for anyone else?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Try reducing the number of CPU's in the Playback Engine.
I tried that and just got more errors for other reasons (see issue 2)

Quote:
What are the error numbers?
The most common are -6086 and -9128. Although I've seen others as well, but these are the ones that are really getting to me.

Quote:
You can link them. See the What's New guide for info on how to do that.
I'll look into that. But I'm skeptical this will fix the smart tool on MIDI tracks in the edit window.

Quote:
This is an issue we're aware of.
Will there be a fix?

Quote:
Do you possibly have 'Timeline Insertion Follows Playback' enabled?
Nope. I did when I first started using this version, but I realized it and switched out. That why I'm sure I didn't have it on. I never use that function, and always turn it off if it accidentally turns on.

Quote:
I'll look into this. I don't have an answer for you right off hand.
Let me know if you need more info. As inflammatory as my first post may seem, I really do want this version to work for me.

Quote:
Please see the READ ME for information on waveform overviews having to be recalculated.
I am aware that this was an attempt to make sessions open faster upon future openings, but it still took just as long as PT 7.4 to open the same session the next time.

Quote:
You did, but you need to give us the error numbers and be specific about what you're doing when the errors occur. Are you sure all waveform overviews have finished being recalculated before working in the session?
Errors listed above. They are occuring during simple playback and recording. They can be triggered even easier if I'm playing a session and try to open a PI, move a fader, or move a PI control. Yes, Overviews are definitely done calculating. These errors occur even when I'm using only synths in a session, no audio files.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this is a known issue, also covered in the READ ME. I'll check again to be sure....
If it gets into the read me, does that mean it's not going to get fixed?

Quote:
I don't know what to say - without reproducibility, it's difficult to determine what, if anything, is wrong.

See previous reply.

Fair enough.

Quote:
Are you sure it wasn't recalculating waveform overviews?
Yeah, I even opened the force quit window and just watched it for about 5 minutes. It eventually said "Not Responding." I still let it sit for a couple minutes, and nothing happened.

Quote:
Repeating the same thing over and over isn't going to help without details. You're wasting your and my time with this kind of thing. Please - give us something to work with! We want to help, but can't if all you say is 'I can't work for more than 5-10 minutes without an error'.
Fair enough. Errors posted above. But you have to understand how frustrating it is for a customer to pay so much for something that's supposed to work better, only to find it's SLOWing their workflow, and aggravating them.

Quote:
Before we go making insinuations like that, let's see if we can't get more details from you about your system. Pro Tools 8 went through a rigorous beta testing and the beta testers gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up before we released it.

Please see the Help Us Help You and General Troubleshooting threads for details about what we need to know to assist you properly.
I apologize for the insinuation. But there are several problems I mentioned above that you replied with "known issue" and "see read me". That seems to indicate that Digi knew about this stuff and let it out the door anyways.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Is there any significance in your user name, or was it just a fortuitous choice?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Avid

Again, Crank1000, can you give us your complete system specs so we can know exactly what we're working with?

I'd also like to send you a utility that will generate a plug-in version list - can you send an email to:

vi [at] digidesign [dot] com

with the email address you would like it sent to, or just let me know if I can send it to the email address in your profile.

Like I said, I think the problems you're having can be solved, we just need to get more details and track down the source.

I may not be able to get to solving everything today - I'll do what I can, but it's extremely busy and I may not have time.

One thing I strongly suspect is plug-ins - can you go through yours and verify that you're on the latest versions? Either that or wait until I can get you the utility so you can post the version list and I can tell you which ones will need to be updated.