Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 PM

Default Trying to trigger audio samples in Pro Tools with MPC 2000

I saw related posts from the past, but none that helped me with my exact situation.

I have a mpc 2000xl, connected via Midi out to the digi 002. I have sampled sounds from vinyl into pro tools directly. What I want to do is:

(1) to be able to assign audio files from pro tools to my individual mpc 2000xl pads through midi

(2) and then to trigger the audio files/sounds from pro tools using the mpc pads into a recordable pro tools track.

Will I need to do this with the help of a plug in?

Any help that can be offered would be very much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Trying to trigger audio samples in Pro Tools with MPC 2000

Well, if you don't want to simply load the vinyl samples into your MPC directly, you can always try Native Instruments Battery. It makes for an excellent "virtual" MPC. I use it with an AKAI MPD and it works great. I do miss the feel of the actual MPC pads though...
Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Ben - thanks for the reply. I love the feel of the mpc pads too, and I can't get used to putting hip hop beats together by lining samples up visually right through pro tools...

So, I have a big batch of sounds I've already sampled and edited in protools, so sampling them all through the mpc would take too long to be worth it.

Using your setup with the mpd and Native Instruments, do you essentially do what I am describing? (manually trigger sounds, but with sounds on your computer)... If so, any sense if this can also be done with an MPC 2000? If yes, I guess I'll just get a Native Instrument Battery and figure out the mechanics of assigning samples to pads and all that.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM

No prob. I do this exact thing with my MPD. The sounds live in Battery but I play them on the MPD. This can totally be done with an MPC and what's better is that you'll have the option to run the sequence from the MPC. You can use any virtual sampler you like, but Battery is designed for drums and is very MPCish. It's not hard to set up. The default setup is chromatic, just like the MPC. Try it out. It's easy and I'm sure you'll love the flexibility.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:19 PM

very much appreciated... looking forward to getting set uo