Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 PM

Default Re: It's simple: don't upgrade.

Well Guys I don't think they care about what you say here, you can bitch all you want but Avid will continue to roll along doing what they do, we will pick up pennies and save our Coke can's, work over time at our 9to5 just so we can buy there F'in product, don't get me wrong I like PT 9 and will use it to do vocals but for my primary DAW it will be Presonus, I cant keep on paying these crazy prices on these DAW. i will stick with one. no more upgrades for me with protools
Old 10-30-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Most wont really need to go "try it", as they already want it just because it's a new PT release. It's the price that is the main barrier to getting it in their hands. Every release for the past decade has been around the $75-$200 mark or so. PT 10 was announced way ahead of it's actual release date. This announcement gave ample time for the eager users to prepare and expect to drop the usual $100-$200 upgrade price, which has been the norm for years. When Avid jacks up the price 10x on HD and 3x on native, is it no wonder that a very negative reaction would occur? Do you not agree that this is a bit unrealistic? Yes or no?

It's a great release. The price is unrealistic, thus preventing this release even getting used. "Trying it" is not going to change their mind of wanting it, as the demand is already there. Since most clearly want it already, what is Avid going to do to get this product purchased and in their hands?

Shane
I think the bottom line here is that Avid has been losing money for years and needs to become more profitable to survive. We've all enjoyed modest upgrade prices while the Avid ship slowly sinks. So now they need to charge more to make enough money to stay afloat.

I also think the unreasonably high PTHD upgrade price is an attempt to push pro users to buy the maintenance plan and eventually move to a yearly fee model. Not a bad ideas for a company trying to secure a steady revenue stream.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 10-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
I also think the unreasonably high PTHD upgrade price is an attempt to push pro users to buy the maintenance plan and eventually move to a yearly fee model. Not a bad ideas for a company trying to secure a steady revenue stream.
Sounds reasonable, but at the same time why leave the many PTHD8/PTHD7 users behind? To us, Avid's attitude is pay up or get lost. You'd would think they want to pull as many people as possible into the maintenance program.

Busch.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Personally, I'm going to upgrade because there are some PT 10 features that will be very beneficial for me, so in my situation it is worth it, but that may not be the case for everyone.

Avid reps have stated that PT 10 is a transitional release that is meant to prepare the market for PT 11. If you can't afford to upgrade now, don't flip out, just wait for PT 11 and make the move then. That will give you an opportunity to earn more money with your current system and save up some cash for the 64 bit version.