Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Can\'t open sessions in PT7.3.1cs4

Hi,

I noticed that several people have been having sessions corrupted in 7.3.1x, and I too have been a recent victim of this bug. I received 2 differrent assertion errors, and one "could not Parse" error. This eventually led me into the situation below...does anyone have any suggestions?

I run a Mac Dual 1gig (2 gig RAM), OSx 10.4.8, and Protools v7.3.1cs4 and a Focusrite Liquid Mix (Ver2.0)....(when the first crash occured I was using PT v7.3.1 cs3)

The problem is that when I open protools (let's say after I trash pref's and restart) and then select the session in question (or any session for that matter....I've tried several "Dummy" sessions) the program freezes on "restoring solo connections" or "restoring miscellaneous settings". I tried everything to open the session after the crash and eventually resigned myself to re-installing OSx 10.4.8 (download) and uninstalled Protools 7.3 and re-installed and updated 7.3cs4. This did not help at all. After much effort through repeatedly importing the tracks to recover the session in question/find out if a track had been corrupted I finally found the culprit.... or at least I thought I did. However the problem (sessions not being able to open still persist)

They only work around that I have been able to come up with is that prior to opening an existing session is:
-Trash PRefs/Databases & Restart
-Launch Protools
1) Must create a new session.
2) Load it up with tracks
3) Install a couple random plug-ins (I use Filterbank and Ren Comp) **as well as 2 mono and 2 stereo instances of Liquid Mix**
4) save the session & then close it.
5) now open the ACTUAL session that I need to be working on. Which opens up as if everything is fine.

This process is exhausting to say the least. I a wondering if anyone has experienced this or has a solution *DIGI???!!!*

I have followed the troubleshooting guide and still no luck.

I am really hoping someone has a suggestion that might help.

Best Regards,

JFK.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Can\'t open sessions in PT7.3.1cs4

Hi,

Have you tried without the Liquid mix? completely dissconnect it from your setup and try without it for a while.

Are all your plugins up to date? and there are no old demo's in your plugins folder!! again you could try without the plugins in the plugins folder? just for testing! remove all plugins except stereo.mixer.dpm and try testing like this.

something is repeatably currupting your sessions by the sound of it! well, if you have to keep trashing the prefs and databases this often!! i haven't trashed mine for 6 months and my system's running fine.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:07 AM

Hi Chris,

That's what I thought, and for the last year everything has been working great.

I will disconnect the Liquid Mix and give that a try. The only reason I have not done so thus far is that the session I need to complete has LQM all over it. But screw it.

I have no old demos plug-ins. I will also try without any plugins in the plug-ins folder at all (except Stereo Mixer).

Thanks, I'll update once I have tried this (and hopefully been successful)

JFK
Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 PM

Update...

So thanks to Crizdee's suggestion, that I trash Liquid Mix. (I removed completely and then trepidatiously re-installed the Ver 1.5.4, as it worked previously for me), and everything seems to be back to normal, with respect to sessions opening up and not becoming corrupted.

However I am still recieeving the odd Assertion error. Can anyone tell me what an assertion error is?

Thanks.

P.S. DO NOT upgrade to Liquid Mix Ver 2.0 they have NOT worked out the bugs. Sure they added some great new features but it sure played havoc with my system, not to mention my bloodpressure.

Thanks again.
JFK
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 AM

I'm having the same problem:

an error message stating:

'Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/vb_cliff/AlturaPorts/PT4_App/Mdie/MacBuild/../Mdie_TrackPlayer.cpp", Line 518'

... and I'm like, "WTF?"

I sure would love to know how to fix this!
Any takers?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Avid

Have you tried trashing prefs and databases since removing the Liquid Mix plug-in?

It is absolutely critical that you be using the most current, and Pro Tools 7 compatible, plug-ins. Using outdated plug-ins can cause very strange behavior in Pro Tools.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:

However I am still recieeving the odd Assertion error. Can anyone tell me what an assertion error is?

As I understand it, an assertion is an error that the programmer thinks should never happen. They could be caused by corrupted preferences or databases, or by a bug, or any number of other things.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 AM

Trashing the prefs worked for me.

Tech support said they're working on a different issue. If your Assertion error exists in line 164, 1242, or 584, call Digidesign Tech Support and they'll want you to send them your database and prefs files so they can get a better understanding of the issue.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:58 AM

I have this error message too, starting yesterday. Is it really the case that after spending loads of money on an MacPro (as advised by nearly all protools traders) and on mbox pro factory, that it simply just doesn't work? Ever since I purchased pro tools its been nothing but heartache. I am really sick of this.

I am new to protools, has it always been rubbish?

I was told by everyone in the shops that running ProTools on an Apple virtually never crashed. Mine just hardly ever works from more than three weeks at a time.

As a professional musician I really think its about time Digidesign sorted themselves out.

Am I the only one who is completely fed up with them?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:26 AM

i had the same trouble at first but took out all my plugins and installed only the ones i was sure of..the problem turned out to be two plugs massingurg eq and pluggo .... i upgraded my massenburg and just trashed the pluggo wrapper now all runs fine..exept of course for the gui freezes..