Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Default Akai MPK49

Posted this in the MIDI thread, but not sure where to go with this. Here is hoping one of you computer God's can figure this out. I have researched not only the DUC, but the internet, outernet, midnet, and parts of the net that quite frankly...scared me.

Akai MPK49.

I have seen here that there was some success on PT 8.0 on getting this to work. I actually had it working yesterday, and went to the SAME file I was working on....and now it's not working. Not sure where to go with this.

I am looking at 2 options.

1. Try and at least get the keyboard to work. It would be NICE to get the faders and knobs working, but at this point I just want to try and get the keys going again.

2. Sell the damn thing. I was looking at the Axiom49 as I "think" that is digidesign approved.

Which is the easiest/better option?

"Yes, recording to the system drive is 99% likely THE main problem." sw rec
Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Akai MPK49

i have the mpk 61 and an axiom 49, i have the axiom as my Master, and mpk as my "SLAVE"

i work through reason 4, with the mpk, and pro tools with the axiom template from the midi section.

the way that i set up everything is dependant per track, but typically, i use reason and rewire it into pro tools, if your using VI's you can use Fruity Loops 9 XXL and rewire that into reason and use your VI's or vsts through FL.

so a basic session looks like this, track imported from reason with the drum lines,

Reason rewired on 2-4 tracks with synths and or pads/other instruments,

Fruity loops rewired with VI's and/or VSTs for 2-4 tracks,

You can find how to rewire FL or Reason on Youtube, and or the duc. its all over the place.

but if u want a simple quick fix for using the midi with PT, get an axiom 49.

and remember that everytime you turn it off you have to reload the template and/or set it up in pro tools.

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
Axiom 49 Midi Controller,
Akai MPK 61 Midi Controller,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Wish List: 2 Months.
Digi 003 BLA Mod,

MBP i5, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB of ram, 320GB internal, 500GB External Firewire, Waves Mercury,

Dverb Test - 156

"How you gon' do an 'Intro' to an 'Outro'?"
-Steezy on "Goodbye" By Spliit
Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM

Wow this is not the happiest of news. I was about to post on this topic. I got an Axiom keyboard and returned it. Biggest P.O.S. I've ever seen. I really like M-Audio products, have a Profire2626 interface which I think is a great piece of gear, but that keyboard felt like it was made by mattel, not a professional piece of gear by any stretch.

I went out and purchased the Akai MPK(61) hoping I could get this to work somehow. It's such a solid piece. Digi seems to be on this path of it's "M-Audio" or nothing. I don't understand it nor do I understand how all of the sudden they're allowing Mackie Onyx mixers to interface with PT... Strange things a foot at the Circle K...
Old 02-16-2010, 11:43 AM

I agree. The Akai is a GREAT feeling piece of gear. Very solid. When I contacted Akai, it ticked me off to find out that it's not supported. They gave me these directions to get it to work which is very basic, which is mainly go to MIDI External.

If you figure out how to get the Knobs and Faders working, you would be the man!! LOL

"Yes, recording to the system drive is 99% likely THE main problem." sw rec