Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 AM

Default Not you again, Mr. -9173

This is maddening. Without changing a single thing about my system - no new plugins, no software updates, nothing new installed and nothing else running on the machine - I'm suddenly having -9173 errors constantly, trying to bounce (admittedly quite complex) sessions I've been working on for weeks. These sessions have never given me trouble before today but now I don't seem to be able to work for more than five minutes without the thing falling over. The sessions themselves haven't changed either - I'm just making minor level tweaks to match them up to each other before bouncing out the finals.

I'd got myself into a false sense of security and starting taking Pro Tools for granted. More fool me. There are probably half a dozen little things I can try in order to further optimise but why should I have to when the system worked perfectly as it is last week? Grrr.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 09-16-2019, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Not you again, Mr. -9173

When have you last updated your plugins?
Old 09-16-2019, 02:59 AM

Not for ages, Janne. That's kind of the point here. If I had updated anything I'd feel there was a reason for it to behave differently.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 09-16-2019, 03:31 AM

I have experienced the same thing for years and years with Pro Tools. One day everything is fine and the next day nothing seems to work without hiccups deluxe. Like last Thursday. Big problems. Same session had been running just fine Wednesday. Is it some dates in the calendar? Is it because of a full moon? Is it the Devil’s work? Who knows? I never found any reason, rhyme or solution to the problem.

Phone +46707773443
Old 09-16-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
Not for ages, Janne. That's kind of the point here. If I had updated anything I'd feel there was a reason for it to behave differently.
Your sig says you have updated PT to the latest, which is why you should also have updated your plugins to latest versions. You cannot expect old plugins work like a charm if your platform changes
Old 09-16-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
I have experienced the same thing for years and years with Pro Tools. One day everything is fine and the next day nothing seems to work without hiccups deluxe. Like last Thursday. Big problems. Same session had been running just fine Wednesday. Is it some dates in the calendar? Is it because of a full moon? Is it the Devil’s work? Who knows? I never found any reason, rhyme or solution to the problem.
That's why you shouldn't have any scheduled routine work on your audio workstation. Backups for example, or Spotlight indexing.. they take huge slice of your storage performance and PT will have hiccups.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
This is maddening. Without changing a single thing about my system - no new plugins, no software updates, nothing new installed and nothing else running on the machine - I'm suddenly having -9173 errors constantly, trying to bounce (admittedly quite complex) sessions I've been working on for weeks. These sessions have never given me trouble before today but now I don't seem to be able to work for more than five minutes without the thing falling over. The sessions themselves haven't changed either - I'm just making minor level tweaks to match them up to each other before bouncing out the finals.

I'd got myself into a false sense of security and starting taking Pro Tools for granted. More fool me. There are probably half a dozen little things I can try in order to further optimise but why should I have to when the system worked perfectly as it is last week? Grrr.
Which system in your sig file is this happening on? Are you moving sessions between systems?
What happens if you reboot? Maybe a memory leak?
Is your system overheating?

QAPLA!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:04 AM

It's the native system on the 6,1 machine. Sessions do get moved between the two but only in one direction - they're recorded on the studio system and then transferred to the other one at some point during the editing process. They don't go back again.

I am regularly re-booting today and finding this reduces the problems. I don't think anything's over-heating - at least, it's not a hot day compared to some we've had round here recently.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That's why you shouldn't have any scheduled routine work on your audio workstation. Backups for example, or Spotlight indexing.. they take huge slice of your storage performance and PT will have hiccups.
I guess that Time Machine backups could be part of the problem, but not having any backup is not an option, so what’s the solution, Jannemannen?

Phone +46707773443
Old 09-16-2019, 06:00 AM

I don't do Time Machine. I do use Carbon Copy Cloner, which is set to back up everything everywhere every night after I've gone to bed. I use CCC's 'safety net' feature to protect me against accidentally deleting things but I realise I don't have fully 'iterative' backups.

My habit is that every time I open a session in a project I'm working on, I 'save as' to a new version if I'm going to make any changes.