Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM

Default Academic Pricing for owners of CPTK to HD 11?

Three questions from a current Complete Production Toolkit owner:

Will there be ACADEMIC pricing for current owners of CPTK to upgrade HD 11?

Looking at the Avid site it looks like you can run HD 11 with a 003 - is that correct?

Is there any way to contact Avid directly with these questions - I have gone mad trying to find a way to contact them from their site.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Academic Pricing for owners of CPTK to HD 11?

This is the $1k question...

... and an important one at that!

Another big one is what alternative to the CPTK will there be for the education market!

Darryl Ramm
Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 AM

Top 9 Reasons for Pro Tools 9 Academic
http://www.dscenewsalert.com/edusale...ds_ACAD_US.pdf
7. Boost your power with Complete Production Toolkit 2
Get the Pro Tools HD software feature set—without a Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools|HD Native system—with the Complete Production Toolkit 2 option.
9. Stay Current with Four Years of Free Upgrades
If you’re a college student, forget about the costs of upgrading. You’ll receive four years of free upgrades with any new or crossgrade purchase of Pro Tools 9 Academic, ensuring that you’re learning using the most recent version of Pro Tools.

It made me, and maybe almost all CPTK academic users, believe that, paying $295 + $2,000, we can use PT HD functionality on the standard version of Pro Tools software without any additional cost for 4 years, forgetting about the costs of upgrading.

Pro Tools 11 FAQ say:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/Pro-Tools-11-FAQ
Avid is committed to supporting students and educators.

Avid, please show us your commitment to students and educators clearly once again, keeping your promise to CPTK academic users.

For poor students, $2000 was our commitment to Avid and Pro Tools.

We might be poor students who cannot afford HDX right now, but we should be potential HDX users for Avid.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuomik View Post
It made me, and maybe almost all CPTK academic users, believe that, paying $295 + $2,000, we can use PT HD functionality on the standard version of Pro Tools software without any additional cost for 4 years, forgetting about the costs of upgrading.
Same here.

Any official word from Avid would be much appreciated.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 AM

For my lab (6 CPTK) the 6K will be better spent on a different tool-set, NI Komplete or Air instruments.
Back peddle to 11 - standard or say at 10/CPTK
Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 AM

From what I've read, Avid is charging a $99 upgrade fee for the academic version to Pro tools 11. Regardless of when you bought it. Essentially not honoring their 4 year free upgrade policy. Not surprising, really.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM

thruhiker ...

You have misunderstood the student ’4 years free upgrades deal' and the $99 upgrade fee completely, by mistakenly thinking they are one and the same thing.

They are not.

Avid have confirmed that anyone on the '4 year deal' will have that honoured. The one confusion that still exists on that deal is whether you still have to be a student (at the time of each upgrade) to qualify.

Everyone who bought it, AFAIK, thinks, having bought it while a student (that's how they qualified for it) that it entitles them to 4 years of free upgrades.

Someone in one of the other threads on the subject has suggested that you ALSO still have to be a student at the time of each upgrade. So someone who bought it in their last year of study, and is no longer a student, would not be eligible for a free upgrade after their studies have finished, even though they are within 4 years of originally buying it.

When you read the qualification criteria, it is possible to interpret this either way, although the way it is worded arguably automatically leads you to believe that the test of qualification happens at the time of purchase, not every time a new version comes out.

Avid have not responded definitively either way, AFAIK, but I think it would cause a riot if they tried to get out of supplying a free update because your studies have finished.

The $99 upgrade fee is something different.

Basically Avid are no longer selling the '4 years of free upgrades' deal for students. If you have it, you're fine, if you haven't you're too late, you can't buy it any more.

Instead, Avid are offering NEW student licence purchasers a different deal, and that deal is that you'll pay $99 for each upgrade.

Personally, I think that is where the confusion has arisen about whether the 4 year deal is still valid even if you cease to be a student within the 4 years, which most will.

In the new $99 deal, you will definitely have to prove that you are still a student to get the deal at the time of each upgrade, because each upgrade is a one-off purchase subject to you meeting the qualification criteria.

However, having to re-qualify at every upgrade to still get the 4 year deal, can only be interpreted by the most obtuse reading of that deal's terms and conditions. Despite the rather jaded view many have of Avid at the moment, I think that would be a way too cynical interpretation for Avid to stand behind it.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 AM

it sucks because until 11 starts shipping we really don't know what is going to happen. When I bought 9 as a student license I was also looking at other DAW's to replace Pro Tools. Not because of price but because I really felt Avid was behind on the feature set, mainly 64 bit. I saw the student license was not only 50% off but it also featured the 4 years of free upgrades. When I saw that I realized the odds of Pro Tools becoming 64-bit within 4 years was pretty high, still a gamble but high. I was happy because I could stick to the DAW I love and not have to worry about the 64-bit issue for at least 4 years.

As for the original question, I'm willing to bet there will not be a student pricing to get to HD 11 from CPTK+10 with a sudent license. I also wouldn't be surprised if more and more HD features get into Pro Tools with each new version. Also don't be surprised if Avid turned around due to lack of sales and releases a CPTK3 with a cheaper upgrade price if you have CPTK2. I'm hoping Avid will just eventually add an upgrade path to HD 11 whether you have CPTK or not. I don't need it now but maybe down the line for like $1500 i'd invest in it. I have no interest in Avid HD hardware.

I currently have Studio One v2.5 but that's because I switched back to Windows recently and had to replace Logic for my instrumental production. I found Studio One filled that void best. I prefer Pro Tools for audio recording and mixing.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:15 PM

Vote against!
Easy signup!
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ng/107607-3779