Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2003, 01:26 PM

Default midi i/o offline

My midi i/o is greyed out(offline) in my Audio Midi Setup. I'm running OS X. I updated the drivers(2.0.1). It was working fine till now. I tried re-scanning, trashing prefs, etc..... What happened??
Thanks
Old 07-10-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Re: midi i/o offline

Re-run the firmware updater....
i had this happen a few times now. that will
bring it back online. ( after the AMS or PT is launched again.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:02 PM

I have an identical problem with the midi i/o on the new HD system where I work.
The midi i/o worked for a day or two but then did not appear in protools and is offline is audio midi setup.
The above solution does not work for me, does anyone have any other ideas.
Thanks

HD2
OSX 10.2.6
Protools 6.0.1
midi i/o firm ware version 2.0
Old 07-28-2003, 08:39 AM

Are any of you using the Mirrored drive door machines (FW 800)? There is a problem and a fix for Midi I/O's running on those machines. I have found that running the AMS while inside of PT produces a much more reliable response then just running AMS on it's own.

Look into the the Midi I/O v2.01cs2 driver and see if it will fix what is happening.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:37 AM

Hey Lak,
You need to do the following,
1) Exit all applications.
2) Load the firmware updater that comes with the 6.1 CD. This is required.
3) Run the firmware, does it verify a MIDI I/O is connected?
4) If yes, follow the on screen instructions exactly. you will be asked to unplug and re connect the MIDI I/O. Do this.
5) Restart the computer and then run AMS. You should be ok at that point.
6) If the firmware updater does not see a MIDI I/O
connected you may need to reset the MIDI I/O by unplugging the USB cable from the back of the unit, then hold down the panic/reset until the "on-line" light is lit. Let go at that point
and repeat steps 2-5. NOTE : the on-line light will turn off was you let go. It will not appear again lit until AMS of Pro Tools is launched.

MT2
Old 07-28-2003, 09:53 AM

I had a similar situation recently. The MIDI I/O would not respond to anything in either OS9 or OSX.

I resolved it, but I'm not exactly sure which of the things I did corrected it.

I removed my MIDI I/O from the rack and disconnected ALL MIDI cables and the USB cable. I then removed the top screws in order to gain access to the internals. With the USB cable disconnected I carefully pulled the only socketed chip on the circuit board (looks like a firmware chip). [Before removing, note the direction of the lettering on the chip.] With the chip out, I plugged in the USB. I then unplugged USB one more time, reinstalled the chip and plugged USB back in. The system was fine after that.

What I don't know is if removing all the MIDI cables in fact corrected the problem as I didn't test it at that point. I was looking for a way to do a hardware reset of the unit. Try just removing all you MIDI cables first. If that doesn't work, you might try the chip removal/reset. I don't know if this affects warranty in any way. I was about to send it in for service.

Busch.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:12 PM

OH YEAH!!! I forgot to mention...
(VERY IMPORTANT)
Disconnect all MIDI in/out cables prior to
updating the firmware app.

MT2
Old 07-29-2003, 04:38 PM

Thanks majortracks, I think I have been through the sequence of events that you describe without sovling my problem, but I will follow your instructions exactly and see what happens.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:20 PM

I have the solution! I just purchased a hd 1 system with the midi I/O...and i ran into that problem.(aint it funny how they dont tell you these things before you spend $30,000?)
Anyways...this was my problem and the solution:

My I/O was just the same way.
The solution was to update the firmware...the updater is located on the protools 6.0.1 installation cd, under the midi I/O folder.
Also you will need the MOST RECENT driver (cs.2) which you will find on the digidesign website. This driver is specifically designed for
Mac OSX/Protools 6.0.1 users!
This crap has taken me on a major rollercoaster ride and im very dissappointed in digidesign for not letting users know this kinda stuff...i mean c'mon...this stuff is kinda important dont you think?
Also, when i purchased my hd system...it shipped with 6.0.1, I WILL BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS ABOUT ANY FUTURE UPDATES TO THE SOFTWARE DUE TO COMPATIBILITY ISSUES!

Patrick in corpus ,TX