Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 AM

Default choir recording

hiya.
I'm recording a 30 strong choir in a few weeks in a theatre space (nice reverb, not too long). I was wondering if anyone has any advice about microphones, preamps and mic setup? I'll be renting all the gear so any advice would be great. It's christmas music but I want the choir to be quite up close and personal (i.e. less of the room, more of the voices). I'm not entirely sure where to place mics on stage, I've done some spaced pairing before with excellent results, but I really want to push the boat out with this one so any interesting techniques welcome!

thanks,
Steve
Old 07-27-2005, 05:32 AM

Default Re: choir recording

Hello,

I have always found that a stereo pair has always for me captured the entire choir in a natural way. In the following I used 2 Studio Projects C4's set up in ORTF in the center, about 20 feet back and around 10 to 15 feet up. This varies with room acoustics, but it was a starting point.

In a church 70 member choir, brass quintet and organ.

http://s94545301.onlinehome.us/music...ctoSpiritu.mp3

In the school's theater 35 members choir only.

http://www.ehmz.org/music/12_Stars.mp3

Take Care,
Gene
Old 07-27-2005, 05:42 AM

Steve,

Glad to see you're able to record this choir.... During the beginning of this year I recorded 40 hymns with a 70 strong choir.... We recorded in a church and the acoustics were decent. I placed two AKG C414 mics roughly 10 - 15' away from the choir and about 4' apart and recorded everything on my mbox. The recordings were totally fine. In fact, if you are interested I'll email you a few songs in mp3 so you can get a feel for the sound. Also, we recorded these hymns acappella and then added the piano later in the studio.

Hope this helps,
Mark
Zephaniah 1:14 The great day of the LORD is near...
www.bmius.org
Old 07-27-2005, 05:42 AM

Steve,

Glad to see you're able to record this choir.... During the beginning of this year I recorded 40 hymns with a 70 strong choir.... We recorded in a church and the acoustics were decent. I placed two AKG C414 mics roughly 10 - 15' away from the choir and about 4' apart and recorded everything on my mbox. The recordings were totally fine. In fact, if you are interested I'll email you a few songs in mp3 so you can get a feel for the sound. Also, we recorded these hymns acappella and then added the piano later in the studio.

Hope this helps,
Mark
www.bmius.org
Old 07-27-2005, 06:48 AM

I record things like this all the time and have found that a stereo pair about 10ft up over the head of the conductor works extremely well. Another thing to try would be Putting about 4 mics across the front of the stage, up at least 8ft, try higher if you can. This will allow you to get the SATB mix individually (if they are arranged in a particular order). A spaced pair can work wonders as well. You don't want to mic too close because if someone in the choir gets on axis of a mic, all you'll hear is that person, but hopefully they won't be tone deaf.

You can try another stereo pair out in the center of the hall for some room and reverb, or you can add it later.

Definitely DO NOT mic close, keep at least 6 feet away from the choir. This will prevent you from picking up certain people and allow you to get more of the choir.

AKG 414s are always great choices, Neumann KM 184s also work great. I usually use my Marshal 603 stereo pair with great results. We used them on a Stradivarius cello over a year ago and couldn't believe it sounded so great. If you can find Geffels anywhere, they are basically awesome.

I wouldn't go too crazy in regards to number of mics tho, as a you may get things too singled outand lose the sound of a "choir" which would be terrible.

As for pre's, rent yourself some good Neve's. If you can, get the 1272's, if not, you won't be disappointed with an Octopre.

Hope that's helpful.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:39 AM

Quote:
When?

Phil
Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
When?

Phil
If you are serious please visit www.familyradio.com I suggest you order the book TIME HAS AN END By Harold Camping here is another link to check out http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/link...as_an_End.html

Waiting for His Return,
Mark
www.bmius.org
Old 07-28-2005, 06:20 AM

thanks guys! that's some sound advice all round, the stereo pairs 10 feet up sound about right to me, reckon I'll throw some mics on stage too, but use 414s and a neve pre for the stereo pair.
any thoughts on how to have the choir standing? should it be in a line satb or should I try to get some benches and put the basses at the back, then the tenors, etc.? or should it be a semi circle?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:29 AM

Most of that I left up to the choir directors, because they knew what sound and balance they wanted to get out of each song. I would only give input for example if there was going to be two soloists in the piece, I would suggest to have the singers symetrical so the voices would be balanced especially during harmonies, rather then be harmonizing all happening on one side only. But with all of the choir directors that I have worked with, they knew what sound and balance they wanted, and it varied with each piece.

Take Care,
Gene
Old 07-28-2005, 07:47 AM

If you're renting the mics, see if they've got Coles 4038's..... They're absolutely fantastic for this type of recording (Stereo pair at distance). If you're renting Neve pre's that's a pretty hard-to-beat combination!!! (Just be careful about using phantom power!!!)
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe