Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 07-15-2017, 08:17 PM
Avid

Default Re: New Avid S3 constant failing faders. ASC throws Visualforce error

We are still investigating this but its looking like most failures are not real or at the very least a one off loss of touch as the fader travels fast. We are looking at the reporting algorithm and seeing if it can be improved for the next release.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:31 PM

I too have these random fader error messages. I will try tapping next to the fader next time it happens. I purchased an S3 back in March of 2017 and after a few days I had a fader permanently go bad. The unit was replaced and now I still get occasional errors with the new unit.

I found this message thread because I was looking for a solution to the problem that I am having below:

I had been using the S3 control service only with Nuendo (with no touch issues whatsoever). Now I am using it with ProTools and I am experiencing a problem where I can touch the faders on the S3 and move them up and down but the actual fader in pro tools does not change. I never had this problem with Nuendo.

When I am having the problem with an S3 Fader in ProTools I notice that the single fader on the ProTools dock follows along. But once again no audio level is changing in Pro Tools.

Has anyone had a problem like this and how can I resolve this?
Thanks
Jim
Old 08-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Man I have to say I am so glad I didn't buy this unit......

Sorry guys.....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler View Post
I too have these random fader error messages. I will try tapping next to the fader next time it happens. I purchased an S3 back in March of 2017 and after a few days I had a fader permanently go bad. The unit was replaced and now I still get occasional errors with the new unit.

I found this message thread because I was looking for a solution to the problem that I am having below:

I had been using the S3 control service only with Nuendo (with no touch issues whatsoever). Now I am using it with ProTools and I am experiencing a problem where I can touch the faders on the S3 and move them up and down but the actual fader in pro tools does not change. I never had this problem with Nuendo.

When I am having the problem with an S3 Fader in ProTools I notice that the single fader on the ProTools dock follows along. But once again no audio level is changing in Pro Tools.

Has anyone had a problem like this and how can I resolve this?
Thanks
Jim
Sorry for your fader issues, we are aware that a few units do register bad faders and we are trying to track down what is causing it. We have something we can try so once I get a beta build I will post it here. I think your Pro Tools Fader issue is not related to this thread though especially if the Faders work in Nuendo. I will ask the QA staff if they have heard about that.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Man I have to say I am so glad I didn't buy this unit......

Sorry guys.....
I think there are only 3-4 people complaining about this in this thread out of 1000's of customers. Generally customers are pretty happy with the S3. I will make sure this issue is resolved too.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 PM

Eddie your presence on this board over the last few months....is totally amazing. I did not mean in any way to delegitimatize your support and work.

However I stand by my comment but I should clarify. I am glad I bought into an established and proven controller. By the time I got to ICON all the bugs (for the most part ) have been worked out. I am sure that S3 will get there with your support but I am glad with the decision I have made.

Cheers and thanks for your presence here......it is not overlook by the customers.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:00 AM

As far as I am concerned. I have now ordered a new fader. (again)

Reading that it is probably not the fader but software related does not reassure me at all but what can I do? It's not working.

If there is a software issue this should have been addressed by now. Or am I to believe that just a couple of customers with issues are not enough to trigger R&D and QA departments?

Please reassure me. The S3 wasn't exactly cheap.

Georges
The Saxplayer
Old 08-25-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I think there are only 3-4 people complaining about this in this thread out of 1000's of customers. Generally customers are pretty happy with the S3. I will make sure this issue is resolved too.
You have to consider that there might be people who don't report the problem, who don't like dealing with emails, forums, etc.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 08-25-2017, 07:53 AM
Avid

I understand...and do think this is very high priority. I have an engineer making changes to the code and I am hopefully going to test a build on Monday.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I understand...and do think this is very high priority. I have an engineer making changes to the code and I am hopefully going to test a build on Monday.
That's fantastic news. Please keep us updated!

Thank you.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).