Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Default No inputs in PT with Eleven Rack

Im a little out of touch as I haven't used PT in 5 or 6 years.
I recently picked up Eleven rack and updated my protools. My outputs are fine, but when I arm a track with any input (guitar, mic, line, rack) I can not for the life of me get a signal. All the inputs seem correct in correlation with the audio midi setup and all inputs work in garage band. When Eleven is on, all track appear in I/O as ready and available, but I just can't seem to get a signal. I am using the rack editor and can hear a guitar or mic through this.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:56 PM

Default Re: No inputs in PT with Eleven Rack

Hi welcome to DUC

[edited to fix typos/clarity]

What do you mean the "outputs are fine"? Do you mean the Eleven Rack playing back guitar or do you mean able to play prerecorded audio from within Pro Tools? Can you open a session, create a new stereo audio track, drag and drop a know good MP3 or similar file on that track. Click play. Does that play out the main outputs of the Eleven Rack OK?

What are you trying to record? Mic? Guitar? What guitar and pickups (esp. want to know if they are powered high-gain pickups)? What mic?

Do you know how to use an Eleven Rack standalone? Can you get a guitar to output through the rig while using it standalone? If you are new to that get the Eleven Rack fully working stand alone before trying to use Pro Tools, especially pay attention to that the rig input is setup to Guitar In.

How are you determining you do not have a signal? Not hearing anything? Not seeing meters move? Both? If you are trying to record the dry guitar signal/guitar input it will be very low level with most electric guitars, you have to zoom in to see it or insert an amp plugin inside Pro Tools. If you already know how to use the Eleven Rack stand alone start by recording the wet rig-outputs to a stereo audio track.

What computer and OS version are you running? What version of the Eleven Rack driver did you install.

After starting up Pro Tools hold down the 'N' key and keep it held down until the playback engine dialog box appears and then make sure the Eleven Rack is selected.

Make sure you are recording to an audio, not an instrument track (it has to be an audio track, a very common mistake)

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-21-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:40 PM

All my previous sessions run fine. when I drop recorded audio down into the new track (the one I intend to record off of) playback is fine. No troubles with output.
No input will work off of eleven (guitar, mic, line, dry). the mic sm7 and p90 pickups. I can only hear playback through 11 and editor, but I get no signal to selected channel. I assume it works plugged into a cab but have yet to try. As I said, I get a signal in GarageBand, so it must be a signal path through to PT.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:01 PM

Are you on Mojave? My guess...

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone. You need to check Pro Tools "microphone" access... meaning allow any inputs into Pro Tools.

Widely discussed on DUC in the past.

---

Are you running Pro Tools 12 on Mojave? Not a good idea.

Please update the info in your profile and/or next time you post here include all the correct version info in your post.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:08 AM

My first posting to this form...

I have an Eleven Rack unit as my hardware interface to Pro Tools First, Windows 10 setup. My mbox recently died and I am trying to use my Eleven Rack unit as a hardware interface for recording. I am able to record from the guitar inputs to Pro Tools successfully. However, I am not able to record from Mic input - I would like to record some vocals.
I have set the Eleven rack to Mic input, but Pro Tools is not finding the Mic input. I do not see Mic as an input selection in Pro Tools.
People on these forum say to reset my I/O in the Pro Tools Settings. However, the I/O option does not exist in the Pro Tools First Settings drop down menu. I have the latest Windows drivers, latest Pro Tools First, Eleven Rack is latest.

1. Why does Pro Tools First not show the I/O option in settings?
2. Anyone have any other ideas what may be the issue - why Mic is not showing as an input in Pro Tools First. Is this a limitation of Pro Tools First?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMichaels View Post
My first posting to this form...

I have an Eleven Rack unit as my hardware interface to Pro Tools First, Windows 10 setup. My mbox recently died and I am trying to use my Eleven Rack unit as a hardware interface for recording. I am able to record from the guitar inputs to Pro Tools successfully. However, I am not able to record from Mic input - I would like to record some vocals.
I have set the Eleven rack to Mic input, but Pro Tools is not finding the Mic input. I do not see Mic as an input selection in Pro Tools.
People on these forum say to reset my I/O in the Pro Tools Settings. However, the I/O option does not exist in the Pro Tools First Settings drop down menu. I have the latest Windows drivers, latest Pro Tools First, Eleven Rack is latest.

1. Why does Pro Tools First not show the I/O option in settings?
2. Anyone have any other ideas what may be the issue - why Mic is not showing as an input in Pro Tools First. Is this a limitation of Pro Tools First?

Thanks
Hi Welcome to DUC.

In future please create a new thread for your problem, don't pilie onto some other user's really unrelated thread. See the not very obvious [New Thread] button up top of the forum area e.g. http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

The Mic is not a limitation of Pro Tools First, but Pro Tools First is crippled in so many ways.

Lets start with "I've set the Eleven Rack to Mic input..." uh exactly what/why? You mean you set the Eleven Rack Rig input to Mic In... instead of say Guitar In? You don't need to do that. A DAW sees all this inputs independently, all that selection does is tell the Eleven Rack to run that Mic input thorugh it's rig processing... if you are not wanting to do that there is not need to set the Rig Input to mic.

The place in real Pro Tools to address IO settings is Setup>IO>{input|output|bus}, it's not under "Settings". Unfortunately for Pro Tools First users most of us here are not going to be using it. I can't recall what Pro Tools First actually gives you for managing IO settings, and I'm not going to reinstall it to look. But if you have those Setup>IO pages then with the Eleven Rack selected as the playback engine. In the input panel, shift-click on all the IO paths, click delete, then when they are all gone click Default. repeat for Output and Bus pages.

If you cannot sort that out. Try creating a new session with the Eleven Rack selected as the playback engine.

And if you still don't see what you expect for IO... it really does not matter. The IO labels are only conveniences for users. All that the device cares about is what IO port number the DAW is trying to use, which in this case I think the Mic is input #4... regardless of what names is shown for that input. Just play around and find it.

The Inputs seen by a DAW are.

Rig Out L
Rig Out R
Guitar In
Mic In
Line in L
Line in R
Digital in L
Digital in R

I think that order is correct, don't have my stuff here, but Rig Outs might be swapped with Guitar/Mic in. But play around until you find the right inputs. If you have the mic feeding the rig, then you may say hear signal from the mic on Mic In and Rig out L and Rig out R, you likely want to find the real "Mic In".

Not hearing stuff... if it's a condenser or other mic that requires phantom power make sure that is turned on. If it's a low output mic you may need to run the preamp gain up high. Check your mic cables. You can check the mic and cables and preamp are working by disconnecting the Eleven Rack from the computer and just using it stand alone with the mic going through the Eleven Rack rig to some headphones (start with a simple rig with no effects, maybe just a clean amp block).

The microphone input is always fed to a DAW regardless of whether that is feeding the Eleven Rack rig or not.