How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 03-05-2020, 06:05 AM

Default Automation mode switch exits preview on a track

Hi everyone,

I've been having trouble with automation (F) and trim (M) switches on S6 :

When you're in preview and you change a parameter, if you want to switch your automation mode (touch, latch) or entering or exiting trim mode, it exits the track from the preview : you lose the changes you were making (and that you didn't already write since you are in preview, you get it...)

This behaviour doesn't exist on Pro Tools so I have to go back to my keyboard to do it but it feels like it shouldn't happen on S6 at all !

Does anyone has the same behaviour on their side ?

Thank you,
Best,
Diane

S6 M40
PT 2019.12
Eucon 19.12.1
Old 03-05-2020, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Automation mode switch exits preview on a track

Hi Diane. I’m not 100% sure but I think this was by design. Since Preview mode will automatically put the automation mode of that track into Latch, pressing the F key by design triggers Auto Match for that particular strip. Since Preview is global and affects any touched parameter on the surface, if you make a mistake or accidentally touch a knob or Fader you didn’t mean to, you can easily get out of Preview for that strip without having to globally turn off Preview and lose all changed parameters. Make sense? I will not be in front of my S6 today but can take a look tomorrow. Perhaps someone else will respond in the mean time.

Setting the Track Automation Mode
To set the track automation mode:
 On a Fader Module, press F on the desired strip repeatedly to cycle through the automation modes. While writing in Latch mode,
press F to Auto Match out. – or –
 On the Master or Automation Module Soft Keys, hold the Soft Key for the desired mode then press a Fader Module F switch (or Select switch) to set that track to that automation mode.
To toggle Trim Automation on and off for a track:  On a Fader Module, press M.
– or –
 On the Master or Automation Module Soft Keys, hold the Soft Key for Trim and press a Fader Module Select switch.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Hi Diane. I’m not 100% sure but I think this was by design. Since Preview mode will automatically put the automation mode of that track into Latch, pressing the F key by design triggers Auto Match for that particular strip.
you are absolutely right, F auto matches the track and it makes sense

but why would it do it for M ? if I want to write in preview mode a trim automation and I'm still in 'normal' mode, I get out of preview??

M switches between two parameters that I could like to write in preview whereas F only changes how you write your volume

so I guess, it would be cool to keep the F as automatch obviously (sorry I forgot such a basic pref!!) but the M could still toggle trim mode without it being an automatch too
Old 03-05-2020, 08:13 AM

My guess is since Trim is a different automation mode type then you would need to be in trim mode prior to Preview. Changing to Trim in Preview mode automatically kicks you out of Preview for that strip. Or, it’s a bug. Personally, I’ve never needed to change in/out of Trim mode while in Preview. You could try using the soft key for enabling/disabling Trim and pressing the select key on the channel strip while in Preview mode to see if that kicks the strip out of Preview.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
You could try using the soft key for enabling/disabling Trim and pressing the select key on the channel strip while in Preview mode to see if that kicks the strip out of Preview.
I'll try that! and I will continue to change the trim mode on pro tools if it doesn't work...
thank you for your answers!
Old 03-05-2020, 09:35 AM

I'm reading along and trying to figure out the workflow. Here's a thought:

If you're in Preview and move a fader, and then you switch to Trim mode and move the same fader, what would Pro Tools do when you hit Punch Preview? Write the original Preview data, or the new Preview-Trim data? It can't do both.

I think it makes sense that PT clears the Preview buffer when entering Trim mode. And for Diane, I think you need to enter Trim before you hit Preview to achieve what you're after.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I'm reading along and trying to figure out the workflow. Here's a thought:

If you're in Preview and move a fader, and then you switch to Trim mode and move the same fader, what would Pro Tools do when you hit Punch Preview? Write the original Preview data, or the new Preview-Trim data? It can't do both.

I think it makes sense that PT clears the Preview buffer when entering Trim mode.
Hi! PT writes the last 'mode' you're in and not (as I thought before) writes both. But why can't it do both? It is two separate automation parameters and lines after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
And for Diane, I think you need to enter Trim before you hit Preview to achieve what you're after.
yeah exactly, I think it's a bit dangerous since if you forget to go to trim mode you absolutely can't change it while in preview. you have to do 2 passes of preview.
But I kinda understand the reason behind it, it's just I never noticed it before and after I lost my preview I thought it was dangerous !!