Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 02-02-2008, 01:33 PM

Default an open letter to M-Audio re:Bad Product Info on FW 1814

note: This was sent as a private email, but in lieu of a response of any kind (email or changing the info on their website), I am making it public.

Dear M-Audio People,

I recently purchased a new Mac Pro tower from Apple, which comes loaded with OS 10.5 (aka Leopard). Since my trusty Digi 001 interface would no longer work with the new computer, I thought I'd try an M-Audio Firewire 1814 (I needed an interface with lightpipe).

BEFORE PURCHASE

To ensure a smooth transistion, I checked the System requirements for the Firewire 1814. Here's what it says on your site:

Minimum System Requirements (Mac)...
* OS 10.2.8 w/ 256BM RAM; OS 10.3 or greater w/ 512MB RAM

(from http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...1814-main.html )

AFTER PURCHASE

I load in the drivers off the included CD, and follow all instructions to the letter regarding shutting down the computer before plugging in the 1814. M-Audio control panel says "no device found." I go to your website to check for driver updates, and update to the latest one (though a bit nervous now, since 10.5 wasn't on the list of driver updates). Still no luck; still says that no device is found.

Only after scouring user support boards do I realize that you don't have a driver ready for 10.5 and the 1814.

THEREFORE

1. Fix the bad product information on your website! If the System Requirements for the 1814 are OS 10.2 - OS 10.4, then that's what it ought to say. According to the product info on your site, the 1814 should work with my system. Surprise for me - only after buying, installing, and checking around on support forums, do I find that that's incorrect.

2. Please make it clear on your site whether a 10.5 driver is in the works for the 1814, and other currently unsupported products. The only driver-related News article up on your site is about how you released a new FireWire driver for Windows. Great, pat yourself on the back, and now get on with it.

You're selling products that can't be used with the current Mac OS. PUT IT IN BIG TYPE, and furnish some clear information about WHEN (or even IF) that situation will be rectified.

Pissed in Portland,
Leigh Marble
Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 AM

Default Re: an open letter to M-Audio re:Bad Product Info on FW 1814

Hi Leigh, I know what you saying, I had the same problem with my M-Audio ProjectMix. Isolved my problem by downloading, Latest Firewire Driver for OS X 10.4.10 is: Ver.1.8.2.
And it,s really working very well, I even coupled 2 Firewires: ProjectMix and RME Fireface 800. It's Ticking like a Swiss watch.. I hope you will be able to make it work.
Cheers Erdal

Leopard 10.5.1, Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4, Logic Studio, Wave Burner, Etc..
G5 PPC Dual 2.5 Mhz, 4.5 Ghz Ram,
Old 02-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the support, fellas. I did try Ver.1.8.2 of the drivers (FireWire_OSX_1.8.2.dmg)... unfortunately, still no love for the 10.5.1 system.

It did work fine on my laptop, which is 10.4.11, but that's not my studio computer.

I've got no idea what's taking M-Audio on getting the Leopard drivers done - some have suggested that they're waiting for the Apple OS update to 10.5.2, to fix some system audio issues. Regardless, that's their business when they get those drivers done, and no one can force them to do anything on the matter.

My big problem in this case is the inaccurate product info on their website for the 1814. They want to wait on getting drivers done? Their business. They tell me that my system is supported when it isn't, and I buy their product based on that info? That becomes my business.

Cheers,
Leigh
Old 02-04-2008, 12:38 PM

When you went to the support page to contact M-Audio about this, how did you miss the OS X logo at the bottom that states "Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard): Latest news on Leopard driver status"?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Hi,
I am using a M-Audio FW1814 everyday with a new MacBook 2.2 running OS X 10.5.1 and 1.8.2 drivers - no problems at all -
Sorry, this may not help in your situation. Just an info -
Pro Tools 9, Logic Pro 9, Live 8, Cubase 5
Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
When you went to the support page to contact M-Audio about this, how did you miss the OS X logo at the bottom that states "Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard): Latest news on Leopard driver status"?
I missed it because:

1) It was under the "fold" (i.e., not visible on my browser without scrolling down)
2) I wasn't looking for a "News" section on the Support page, having already been treated to a News section on their frontpage.

Anyways, the existence of a page of news on 10.5 drivers addresses only my secondary point. My primary point is that on their product info page for the FW 1814, it says "OS 10.3 or greater", when in fact this is not the case:

FW 1814 System Requirements

Leigh
Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 PM

Hi Erdal....I know we're not exactly talking about Projectmix but wanna check you on that....the latest driver v1.8.2 has some very obvious bugs like track faders not responding correctly & track labels actually remain after you close the session(unless you revert back to v1.7.4 but that's not the issue here). There were countless threads on this topic since last year Dec 2006 ; while this is not exactly something that's serious enough to put it out of use but it's not working right & THEY HAVE GOT TO FIX IT!!! Sorry Leigh I'm not helping in your situation but just wana take this opportunity by borrowing your thread to vent my frustration & from this you would also know that this is pretty much the track record for M Audio. I've written tech support requests, posted threads on this forum to plead with them(both M Audio & DigiD) to fix it but to no avail; It's still hanging & looks like will continue till kingdom come! Come On Guys DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! This is not exactly very good for establishing customer goodwill isn't it??
Old 02-05-2008, 08:23 PM

It appears m audio has been asleep at the wheel for some time.
link
none of the fw series interfaces (at least the 2 we have) seem to work very well at all. Between m audios failure to fix several issues, provide accurate info on their site, and digis pro-tools-in-handcuffs, I anticipate a mass exodus to other DAW's in the near future. Its a shame, it really is a good interface if it would only WORK.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:30 AM

Ya Joey.....read your thread & agree with you! What's the point of putting up updates; fixing some bugs & telling you to revert to older drivers cos it screws up some other stuff?? As far as i know; updates are suppose to be incremental in that the newer versions fix new bugs found & problems of the older ones as well. It doesn't make sense to go back, what about bugs that are fixed in the new drivers?? For users that highlighted problems here on the forum & mind you; it's repeatedly in the case of the "projectmix track fader problem", the least they can & should do is to acknowledge, update us on the plans for bug fixes concerned!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Avid

Quote:
It appears m audio has been asleep at the wheel for some time.
link
none of the fw series interfaces (at least the 2 we have) seem to work very well at all. Between m audios failure to fix several issues, provide accurate info on their site, and digis pro-tools-in-handcuffs, I anticipate a mass exodus to other DAW's in the near future. Its a shame, it really is a good interface if it would only WORK.
When you say 'none of the fw series interfaces seem to work very well' - what do you mean, exactly? What are the symptoms you're experiencing?

That thread you pointed to seems to have solved the problems that both you, JdrummerJ and SoundWrangler reported. Unless I'm missing something, in which case it would be good if you told us specifically which issues you're experiencing.

I have to question the point you're trying to make, as I'm running 2 different M-Audio systems on MacBook Pros and not having any problems. There are still some quirks with the ProjectMix and faders/display, but the reports are rare (given the number of those units that M-Audio has sold) and they don't seem to entirely block anyones workflow. The M-Audio team is working on the reported problems, but some of it is being rolled into Leopard and Vista driver development, which is why it's taking longer than you'd expect.

I want to make sure anyone using an M-Audio interface is up and running to the best of it's ability. If you are having problems, please start with the steps in the url=http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=313423]OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting[/url] thread and, if you're unable to resolve the issues, post your complete system profile, including any peripherals attached and include a detailed description of your problems.