Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-31-2008, 10:44 PM

Default LightBridge - 02R synk ok, but still crackles

Hi folks

I just bought a Lightbridge (LB) to interface my Yamaha 02R with my PC. I used an RME Card before, but am now switching to Protools.

I have everything connected and synched, 02R is my master at 48kHz and my PC is slave, the indicators on both the 02R and the PCs tell me that synching is ok.
I can hear the audio coming from the PC, BUT there are between 2 and 3 crackles each second. Is kind of irregular.

For the moment, I'm not using PT to play audio, I'm using Audacity or anything else, I guess it doesn't matter what software I use to play audio, as long as it crackles, there's an issue at another level.

So I went trough the performance optimization guides posted here, I optimized my WinXP for max performance, I completely reinstalled WinXP and ONLY installed PT, but the crackles are still there...

I wonder if anybody knows about issues concerning my setup?

These are the next steps I'm going to take to track it down further:
- Connect LB to my Laptop and see if its a PC or LB issue
- Update BIOS
- Add a Firewire Card instead using OnBoard
- Create a hardware profile with even more reduced WinXP setup (no network, no onboard audio)
- Install

Is there anything else I could try?
Thankful for any help...

PC Setup: ASUS P4PE Motherboard, Pentium 3GHz, 2GB Ram, IDE HD (Boot), SATA Disk (Data), Radeon 9200 AGP, DVD-RW
Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 AM

Default Re: LightBridge - 02R synk ok, but still crackles

Does your FireWire expansion card have a Texas Instruments chipset? If not, that may be your problem.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Does your FireWire expansion card have a Texas Instruments chipset? If not, that may be your problem.
I read on the M-Audio FAQ that this might be an issue. So I ordered a FW card with TI chipset. I will post my experiences as soon as I know more...
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I have everything connected and synched, 02R is my master at 48kHz and my PC is slave, the indicators on both the 02R and the PCs tell me that synching is ok.
I can hear the audio coming from the PC, BUT there are between 2 and 3 crackles each second. Is kind of irregular.
Are you using Word Clock to sync??

I'd sync using word clock instead of the optical, More solid

I'm guessing the 02r has Clock in and out????

Something you can try while waiting for you new FW Card
Old 04-12-2008, 11:37 PM

I resolved it !!!

I used the ADAT1 for syncing...

So guys, this is what I did:
- I bought a brand new Texas Instruments Firewire PCI card
- After deinstallation of the VIA FW and installation of the new card : STILL CRACKLES !!!
- When my frustration was cooled down again, I tried the following:

I deactivated Hyperthreading in the BIOS

THIS was the solution...

So please, DIGIDESIGN, push M-Audio to fix their drivers to cope with hyperthreading !!!! PLEASE !!!