Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Default Profire 2626 or is it a \"2424\"?

Looks like an interesting interface, but I'm wondering if they're pulling the same trick as the M-Audio 1612 (aka 1814) where you can't have the S/PDIF coaxial and optical ADAT ports active at the same time. Anybody know for sure?

Also, anybody know if they enabled the low latency feature for the digital inputs?

http://www.badrap.org
Old 03-07-2008, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Profire 2626 or is it a \"2424\"?

Did you look at the product page on M-Audio's website? The first "top feature" answers your first questions:

Quote:
26x26 simultanous analog/digital I/O
Reading the section about the onboard DSP mixer and router it would appear that you could route any of the 26 hardware inputs to the mixer for low latency monitoring.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Did you look at the product page on M-Audio's website? The first "top feature" answers your first questions:

Quote:
26x26 simultanous analog/digital I/O
Reading the section about the onboard DSP mixer and router it would appear that you could route any of the 26 hardware inputs to the mixer for low latency monitoring.
Believe me, I've looked very closely. The bottom line is that I don't much faith their sales tactics. My M-Audio Firewire 1612 (aka Firewire 1814) was advertised, or at least implied that you could achieve 18 simultaneous inputs and 14 simultaneous outputs. That is simply not the case. That's why I'm asking for a real world experience. A beta tester, the straight scoop from a trade show, etc.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:05 PM

Well, I have one on it's way. An employee on another discussion board told me it will do both optical ADAT and coaxial S/PDIF at the same time. I hope he's right, we'll see.

For Pro Tools it's actually an "1818", but that's because of a limitation in Pro Tools MP (and LE). Hopefully Digi will give us a future version of PT that will use all the I/O

Old 03-18-2008, 03:41 PM

Just hooked up the ProFire 2626 and have been playing with it for a few hours. So far, it's pretty much cracked up to what they make it out to be. I've loaded several different sessions and everything has been playing back quite nicely. Connected a mic and was able to see the meter bounce in Pro Tools as well as listen with no latency though the 2626 internal mixer. Then I connected my Apogee Mini-Me and Mini-DAC and was able (after messing with the mixer and routing tabs) to enable both with no problems. So far (knock on wood) I think I have 18 inputs and 18 outputs with "no latency" monitoring on all of them, *including* the digital I/O.

A tip for those who have yet to install it: Pro Tools MP (and LE) has a maximum I/O of 18 at this point in time. The default mixer routing inside the ProFire 2626 has the S/PDIF as input and output 25 & 26. Pro Tools will not see it until you route the ADAT "B" port *after* the S/PDIF, and change the S/PDIF Coax Out to "Software return 17 & 18". I'm routing my mix via S/PDIF through my Apogee Mini-DAC, so I choose all my channel outputs in Pro Tools to 17 & 18 (you can rename them in the Pro Tools I/O setup panel). It's would be very easy to route my Pro Tools to Mini-DAC outputs to 1 & 2, but I don't do that for personal consistency sake.

I would recommend that M-Audio include a little mixer setup file like this to ship with their new units. Pro Tools is their software, after all. Hopefully they're not bothering because they are going to enable all 26 I/O in Pro Tools? Let's hope so.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:05 AM

Glad to hear it's working out. It looks like a bad azz interface.