Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-21-2005, 03:08 PM

Default A Logic front issues thread

Hello,

I have been trying to get 100% solid with logic as a front end for my hd2. I am using a g5 1.8 dual, logic 7.1, pt 6.9 and os 10.3.8

Here are the two main problems i am having and would like to know if others have these same problems.

1)plug-in automation does not record on aux or dtdm "tracks". These are track types with no record button.

2)linked stereo tracks get split up if you move them in the arrange window and there is no simple way to creat a new stereo track for recording a new take. only thing that half works is packing a folder with every recording pass, which then do not unpack very well. folders also simply show the song name, not any name that has to do with contents of the folder.

my list of things that are driving me crazy is getting shorter, but i just want to know if these problems are getting to others.

best,

Quincy
Old 05-22-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Re: A Logic front issues thread

I really don't mean to be sounding pessimistic here...but i had similar issues with my nearly identical system.

So...I dumped Logic. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, and the scariest. I am happy to say I now record exclusively in PTHD, and I am happy as can be.

I keep logic around, until i convert all 160 of my other songs...but once i do...I know a usb dongle that has a date with ebay.

System 1: Retina MBP 512SSD/16RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
System 2: Mac Mini - 512SSD/8RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools 10 HD
Pro Tools 11 HD
SYNC HD
Old 05-22-2005, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Hello,

Here are the two main problems i am having and would like to know if others have these same problems.

1)plug-in automation does not record on aux or dtdm "tracks". These are track types with no record button.

2)linked stereo tracks get split up if you move them in the arrange window and there is no simple way to creat a new stereo track for recording a new take. only thing that half works is packing a folder with every recording pass, which then do not unpack very well. folders also simply show the song name, not any name that has to do with contents of the folder.
Quincy
You don't need to "record enable" a track in Logic Pro to write automation.
You only have to enable "Track automation" within the "View" menu in Arrange. Now you can choose the desired
automation mode and are able to write automation.

Regarding 2):

This is clumsy in Logic Pro, I do agree. But I am working mainly with Song Templates, so I rarely have to generate
new tracks. If I have to, I am using "Create multiple .." within the "Track" menu in Arrange. Manually linking needed split stereo
tracks isn't that complicated then.

Best,
M.K.BEAT
Old 05-22-2005, 07:24 AM

Quote:
linked stereo tracks get split up if you move them in the arrange window
Not if you place them on a linked track. On the channel objects in the mixer window, have you clicked the link icon in the bottom LH corner?

Quote:
and there is no simple way to creat a new stereo track for recording a new take.
I just use the "create new track" key command. There's a key command to create the same track number again, and another key command to create a track with the next sequential track number. If your audio objects are linked to stereo, creating the first of the linked tracks will automatically create the second.

I also agree that it's not as convenient as it could be, but I think it's just a matter of TDM being a little backward (e.g. TDM still cannot deal with interleaved tracks, or simultaneously play back tracks with different bit rates). Track creation, assignment, etc., works slick as a whistle on the native side of Logic, and it's also a LOT faster than doing it in TDM.

Lee Blaske
Old 05-22-2005, 09:21 AM

Lee can you recommend anyone in the LA area that can help someone set up a Logic 7.1 front end with Pro Tools HD hardware?
thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 10:35 AM

Don't know of anyone off hand. The logic-tdm@yahoogroups.com mail list would be the place to ask.

Actually, it's really not that difficult to get a basic system up and running. Just install PT first, then Logic. There's a booklet explaining TDM integration with Logic that comes with the package.

Lee Blaske
Old 05-23-2005, 08:57 AM
Avid

Quote:

You don't need to "record enable" a track in Logic Pro to write automation.
You only have to enable "Track automation" within the "View" menu in Arrange. Now you can choose the desired
automation mode and are able to write automation.

Regarding 2):

This is clumsy in Logic Pro, I do agree. But I am working mainly with Song Templates, so I rarely have to generate
new tracks. If I have to, I am using "Create multiple .." within the "Track" menu in Arrange. Manually linking needed split stereo
tracks isn't that complicated then.

Best,
M.K.BEAT

Actually, you don't even have to enable 'Track Automation' - this is just if you want to see the automation on the track. All you need to record automation is put the track into the proper automation mode (write, latch, touch, etc.). To do so, click in the horizontal box directly above the fader and select the proper automation mode.

As for the 'linked' or 'stereo' track issue - it's actually not difficult to keep tracks 'stereo linked'. Just make sure that 'Universal Track Mode' is enabled in Audio Hardware and Drivers (you can select it for DTDM, but not for DAE - this is normal). Then, make sure your track is in stereo mode (the 'linked circles' directly under the meter for the track).
Old 06-06-2005, 04:09 PM

Hey all,
Just getting back to this thread.

The first issue regarding automation was a bug in logic that had to do with objects which existed in two different environment layers. one would auomate the other would not.

The second issue does not behave for me the way in which Lee and others are stating. (digi)...I am talking about DAE tracks so universal track mode does not exist. Linking the stereo tracks does not allow me to move the tracks as a unit...it does allow me to move the regions as a unit which is not what i am talking about. create track does not normally create both sides of a linked track, only one. When i select the left channel and create new with same it will create a stereo, but it will split up my existing stereo track and put one half inbetween my original pair and one half below it. furthermore unpacking linked stereo tracks behaves similarly. this behavior gets even weirder if i deselect for convert stereo. in this mode only the left channel of my stereo linked objects show up in arrange while recording. People keep telling me this works, but i have recreated this problem on multiple systems.

Lee you are the guru here so you would know best about what i am experiencing. Try playing with force convert to split stereo enabled and move around some linked stereo tracks, unpack folders. you will see what i am talking about.