How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-17-2018, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Any reason to renew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
Not once have I called tech support either. Never.
Never. The DUC does a much better job.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:36 AM

I am in the same boat. I have always updated my PT HD since 6.0 but I stopped at 12.5 only because of the grid quantize bug which was fixed in 12.8.2. Only problem is I let my update lapse because I did not want to pay for software I was not going to use. I am using a trial of 12.8.3 and its working great now but it sucks that I have to pay 999 for bug fixes.

I think Avid need to give you a one time a year amnesty to update at the 399 price. Or just go back to the 699 per major upgrade if thats how you want to upgrade. This will bite them in the ass over time. I know for a fact they modeled this plan after Adobe's plan. I have friends in the graphic industry that are swithching apps because of the price.

I also think Avid focuses on the Post business for cash. I don't think they are in tune with the small/mid recording studio that is struggling to keep their heads above water in the ****ty music business economy.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Mac Pro 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
32gig ram
PT HD 12 with D-Command 24
Apogee Ensamble Thunderbolt
UAD2 Octo x2
Old 01-17-2018, 10:21 AM

My decision was fairly straight forward..Updated . Reason; the announcement of 12.8.3 being the last W7 supported release. That's where I am staying.

I have it now sitting unused...just in case I am more that happy on 12.4, which I open once or twice a month.

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 01-17-2018, 02:36 PM

I let my plan lapse as of 12.7 putting me in what I'll call my "second cycle" of "lapse time" before I reinstate. As someone who works to picture 12 has been a disappointment. For a recent test I did for a new gig I had to roll back to 11.3 to work with video for smooth video playback. Ridiculous! I have had terrible 9173 errors when reinstalling 12.7. Sometimes it resolves by quitting the session and reloading but still. I am getting more broken takes than ever before and they want me to pay $999 to reinstate?

As I stated in another thread I have been toying with Harrison MixBus which sounds really good but I move so fast in Pro Tools it's hard to justify the change in workflow. Would love to give 12.8.3 a test run but I think I am going to sit out another cycle before reinstating and even then I intend to look for a discount as the one that came across in December where a vendor sent me an email stating a 20% discount on Avid products which would bring my price down to $799, which is still stupidly expensive for reinstatement for what we are getting.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:01 AM

I have just renewed my HD plan but if I look back it seems like a waste of money. Hopefully the next year will be better - I will like to stay and update, but I find it's hard to continue to use the money for tiny updates.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
it is just like the "Help Us Help YOu" Document that NO One New to the Forums reads, and we have to direct them to it .. i was hoping that at some point that would be a mandatory read before you could post or the very least make them post their Signature with System info before Posting .. but hey, i asked that too .. shot down in flames !!! .. haha
Hey that is a great idea, it would in fact help get pertinent info.....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Not once have I called tech support either. Never.
I never called in the 2 years I had it either. However.....

I did email them several times...and it was to ask general questions, hardware related questions....

heck I even asked them about a serial number of a piece of hardware I was Planning on/going to purchase (used)

I do honestly miss the ability to email them for those odds and ends. Not enough to pay a ASC but yes I do miss that.

I'm shooting for 3 or 4 years off then I re-up when I need to upgrade my system (Computer) and tech has moved on....even if I break even with 3 years I can use my $1000 for something else meanwhile.

BTW - I just got a great deal on an HDX card........
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:25 PM

I could deal with 500 to get back on but a 1000 for a piece of software this buggy is a ripoff.

I have hdx so I have already spent 8k on the rig. Throw us a bone here avid. This past year has been and utter waste of 399.00

Bad bug fixes is all I got. Still getting -9173 at times and midi is still buggy as hell.

I want to be sold on what’s ahead because it looks like I’m letting it lapse in its current state.

They need a new business model. Too much money for a piece of broken software. Yes it works ok but still a lot wrong with it. Prices are too high for what I’m gettimg. I like protools but I’m unhappy with the lack of features and buggy updates.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I could deal with 500 to get back on but a 1000 for a piece of software this buggy is a ripoff.

I have hdx so I have already spent 8k on the rig. Throw us a bone here avid. This past year has been and utter waste of 399.00

Bad bug fixes is all I got. Still getting -9173 at times and midi is still buggy as hell.

I want to be sold on what’s ahead because it looks like I’m letting it lapse in its current state.

They need a new business model. Too much money for a piece of broken software. Yes it works ok but still a lot wrong with it. Prices are too high for what I’m gettimg. I like protools but I’m unhappy with the lack of features and buggy updates.
Amen!

I worry they are never going to listen. Look at this new version change that’s coming. It wreaks of lowering expectations between updates. For a very long time we’ve become accustom to expecting new features with each update, with this new system, I read it as don’t expect anything from us.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:53 AM

But why the hell are you renewing, if you don´t get, what you want?
I am still on HD 11 and there is not much difference to the latest HD 12 versions